Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I guess this is ok? Personally, I am hoping we offer some highly competitive OL and DL folks in the portal that can help us.
read between the lines, Coach Tillman is the new DB's coach maybe just maybe after watching some of the films of last year he knows the problems could not have been all coaching. (But this is only my guess)

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I was listening to Pardon My Take the other day when they had Deon for a guest. He brought a point where I don’t know which way I would prefer. He was talking about how much the transfer portal is helping JSU get older guys to transfer, but now he is only taking ~5 high school guys a year.

So with this kind of thinking, would we rather have a combination of getting the players through the portal and high school, or lean more heavy one way and then take the big moves if they happen?

Sort of a side note:
Honestly, I think we are a program that might have to moneyball this situation. But at the same time, I feel like Tech is a school that could thrive at trying to create an analytics based program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I was listening to Pardon My Take the other day when they had Deon for a guest. He brought a point where I don’t know which way I would prefer. He was talking about how much the transfer portal is helping JSU get older guys to transfer, but now he is only taking ~5 high school guys a year.

So with this kind of thinking, would we rather have a combination of getting the players through the portal and high school, or lean more heavy one way and then take the big moves if they happen?

Sort of a side note:
Honestly, I think we are a program that might have to moneyball this situation. But at the same time, I feel like Tech is a school that could thrive at trying to create an analytics based program.
At this point, I think we'll take whomever we can get.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Sort of a side note:

The problem with "money ball" is that it only works when you are one of the few using analytics to build your roster. Once success is proven, then more schools will utilize analytics and your "edge" is blunted. Once this happens, then the edge once again goes to the schools with the most money. Rich will keep getting richer.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
read between the lines, Coach Tillman is the new DB's coach maybe just maybe after watching some of the films of last year he knows the problems could not have been all coaching. (But this is only my guess)
I'm sure you're 100% correct. The problems could not possibly be all coaching. Though I do believe a decent chunk of it was coaching, just not all. The players do need to take responsibility for not really getting the job done. Communication is a two-way street so as much as I like to bust on the coaches about the poor communication it's ABSOLUTELY also the players not communicating well.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess. What I was trying to say (poorly I admit) is that we have already accepted the transfer of a couple of highly rated DB's and have a goodly number of other DBs on the roster. I don't know a thing about the particular kid in question - he may be phenomenal, but based only on his rating score, I don't really see the point. If the coaches want him, I will happily cheer for his success. I do know that we are short of personnel on the OL and at DL. Seems that we should be concentrating our efforts there - if we can find some good talent.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with "money ball" is that it only works when you are one of the few using analytics to build your roster. Once success is proven, then more schools will utilize analytics and your "edge" is blunted. Once this happens, then the edge once again goes to the schools with the most money. Rich will keep getting richer.

I completely agree. I would argue that the hardest thing for college football in general, There’s just enough data that you could use to actually project performance/improvement

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Sort of a side note:
I don't think any P5 team is going to be successful relying mostly on transfers.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not a surprise.
Gibbs, Ivey, Domineck, Walker are all going to end up at better programs than GT.
Griffin and Lockhart might.

Our early transfer entries were mostly not significant losses but our later ones are.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not a surprise.
Gibbs, Ivey, Domineck, Walker are all going to end up at better programs than GT.
Griffin and Lockhart might.

Our early transfer entries were mostly not significant losses but our later ones are.
Well about any P5 program not named Duke, Vanderbilt or Kansas are better than GT right now.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to think in terms of a one-year program. in other words, do whatever you can to put the best team on the field each and every year without regard for the long term. With the NIL, Portal, and other changes now shaping the game, I think it puts a premium on leveraging all those things toward getting the best players from where ever you can through whatever means you can and playing each and every game as if it were your last. I think this is our best way forward until the landscape changes.

Go Jackets!