Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Unless the rules have changed, you can resign from a Service Academy any time before starting your third year. After that you only get out if you get kicked out (such as committing a violation of the Honor Code). If you do resign during those first two years, there is no debt to be repaid, but you still have to fulfill your full six year military service obligation. That can be 4 more years in the Reserves (at least it was for me), and you serve that time as Enlisted. After resignation from the Academy you can transfer normally to another school.

The Academies obviously do recruit, and have ways to help athletes gain admittance (finding a Congressman with an uncommitted slot, appointment by Secretary of the Service Branch, etc.).

After graduation you have a five year commitment, plus more if the Service puts you through grad school, or in the Navy if you go to flight school, etc.

The rules are a bit different from when I was there. My daughter was looking into following my footsteps at USCGA and they pitched her on the idea that the first year was a freebie if she absolutely didn't like it.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I’m willing to bet that in 2025 when the Covid eligible players are phased out that the portal numbers will look very similar to how they did in 2018 and 2019, and attrition levels will return to the norms from that era as well.
You think the portal numbers back when transfers had to sit out a year are going to be the same as now, when transfers don’t have to sit out a year?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You think the portal numbers back when transfers had to sit out a year are going to be the same as now, when transfers don’t have to sit out a year?
Just about every transfer starting in fall of 2019 through spring 2020 before Covid was getting cleared for immediate eligibility, and during Covid in 2020 the free transfer rule was essentially put in place for good. I think that the total number of transfers will be a lot more similar to the fall 2019-spring 2020 numbers than they will fall 2021-spring 2022 numbers after all of those with the extra Covid year have exhausted their eligibility.

You also have to remember that a lot of kids who signed in the 2021 class probably never even visited the campus of the school they committed to, or met their coaches in person. The 2022 class also had limited in-person/on-campus time compared to normal. There is really no reason to believe the current pace of portal entries will continue in a post-Covid world, given the state of college football isn’t drastically different by then.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure using the fact that portal was created before Covid hit really helps your argument. In fact I believe it probably hurts it. The number of players entering the portal now is way higher than the number that did in 2018 and 2019. Covid hit in 2020 and portal numbers have skyrocketed since. Why? Because those players who were on a roster in 2020 were given an extra year, thus increasing the overall number of players in the system.

The portal is definitely allowing programs to cut players loose with more deniability. That was my point. The players who were going to get processed anyway are just going into the portal. That, along with extra players from Covid are causing a massive pileup in the portal of “unwanted” players. Your argument seems to be that because there are a lot of players not finding new schools, that the portal is bad for the players. All I’m saying is that there are numerous factors for why players aren’t finding new home, and blaming the portal itself is disingenuous, IMO. Without the portal most of those players would’ve just disappeared from rosters. Now they get tallied up and there are official numbers shown.

I’m willing to bet that in 2025 when the Covid eligible players are phased out that the portal numbers will look very similar to how they did in 2018 and 2019, and attrition levels will return to the norms from that era as well.
We shall see interesting counter point…

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I keep looking at this thread for info on who is coming and who is going...and I keep getting disappointed. I should have learned...
Myself as well…keep hoping we hit on a 5 star transfer that will take advantage of the celebrity they would experience and national exposure GT gets as a legacy program …ie Army , Navy, NotreDame…one of the few remaining “good guys” in P5

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
See: George O'Leary
During a televised game, George was incensed by a defensive back getting beat on a post pattern. As the player came off the field, he was directed to one of the field phones and presumably got an earful from a position coach in the booth. Coach O'Leary, being the humble, mild mannered, good natured man he was, yanked the phone out of the player's hand, starts yelling into the phone at the coach and then yells at the player for good measure. Maybe he wasn't sure which one was at fault but by golly someone was getting hollered at for being derelict either playing or coaching.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
O'Leary was old school. A lot of folks think he was mean but in actuality, he was just demanding. Best coach we have had since Bobby Dodd. If he had stayed we would have won a lot more games over the past many years. Our current coach is more concerned about being friends with the players than demanding excellence from them.

Go Jackets!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
O'Leary was old school. A lot of folks think he was mean but in actuality, he was just demanding. Best coach we have had since Bobby Dodd. If he had stayed we would have won a lot more games over the past many years. Our current coach is more concerned about being friends with the players than demanding excellence from them.

Go Jackets!

O'Leary was a POS. He's responsible for the death of a player at UCF, and fortunate he didn't kill others along the way. What he did to one of ours was unconscionable.

GTRhino24

GT Athlete
O'Leary was a POS. He's responsible for the death of a player at UCF, and fortunate he didn't kill others along the way. What he did to one of ours was unconscionable.

I remember Dustin. He was a genuinely nice guy. GOL confiscated the bowl gifts from about 30 players at the Gator Bowl in 98 for being 10 minutes early to dinner (O’Leary time is 20 minutes early). Those bags contained the warmups for game day and gifts from the bowl. No dinner, no watch, no clothes. If you have pictures from that day, the guys wearing blue warmups were effected. He gave their stuff to his family and friends.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Notre Dame owed GT a million $ for guaranteeing to pay for his contract buyout. When they found out about his fraudulent resume they refused to pay and said to sue him. Not sure why we never did but interesting why we never went after it. I still contend ND owed it. Another reason I despise their holier than thou attitude.

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember Dustin. He was a genuinely nice guy. GOL confiscated the bowl gifts from about 30 players at the Gator Bowl in 98 for being 10 minutes early to dinner (O’Leary time is 20 minutes early). Those bags contained the warmups for game day and gifts from the bowl. No dinner, no watch, no clothes. If you have pictures from that day, the guys wearing blue warmups were effected. He gave their stuff to his family and friends.
Wow.
That is truly sick.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
This is a weak, tired take and a cheap shot. I'm sure you're in locker room and with the team to know this.

JacketFan137

Banned
The proof is in the pudding. Three successive years of winning three games with historic losses are pretty damning. He has this year to get it straightened out and refute the "weak, tired take..."
the thing is you’ve absolutely made up this weird story in your head that he is trying too hard to be friends and not coach. unless you’re in the locker room and know this then you’re just talking out of your behind.

collins has done more than enough on the field to deserve criticism. i don’t think we have to make stuff up at this point if we want to complain about him lol