Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe the portal will be a very nice tool for GT coaches to utilize. We are the perfect school who will benefit from. We are surrounded by top factories (UGA, Bama, Clemson, Auburn, FSU, Florida, Tennessee, now Ole Miss) so we’ll lose more recruiting battles than win with high school players. But we have 3 major selling points for young portal guys who get slapped by reality at the factories -1) Playing time, 2) Proximity to home, 3) education.

For all his faults Collins does appear to be very good at roster management and selling. I think GT can really use the portal as a major source of talent and I can see Collins adding staff to do other teams roster management usage and target players way before portal declarations are made. With rules now becoming suggestions we should be watching the high school signings and then monitor player usage in September and start reaching out to high school coaches (go betweens) immediately to be on guys early who are not seeing the promises come to fruition early. The days of a kid signing out of high school and being dependable for 4 years are over. The portal is a chance for smart coaches of mid level teams to improve their talent level. I can guarantee Riley is already reaching out to kids who just signed elsewhere. And they’ll portal to him in a year. It’s the new world of poaching.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like to know soon who some of our “unannounced commits” CGC claimed to have in his pocket. We need to get some more portal momentum and get momentum for the next season. I would love to see some players announce for us after the national championship. And I really don’t expect anyone to commit until then because then every game will be over for the season. But I hope CGC isn’t yanking our chains again. We really need a good offseason.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't fight it, love it, embrace it, use it! We need to be leading edge and exploit the pure T crap out of the Portal. Separate the wheat from the chafe. Push the chafe out. Find the winners, recruit them hard and pay them well. Screw branding, build the best program money can buy.

Go Jackets!

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
I have a question about these transfers.
Are they eligible and on campus for spring practice or will they have to wait until the summer?

Have they already enrolled in their new school?

What im asking is, will they be here for preseason conditioning? Or be waiting?

I ASSume, they will be here before conditioning starts..

Just curious

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the losses and the gains, what's your take on how the Transfer Portal is treating us so far?

Yeah, we're losing Gibbs, but it looks like some talent is coming in, also.

Net gain or loss so far?

JacketFan137

Banned
Looking at the losses and the gains, what's your take on how the Transfer Portal is treating us so far?

Net gain or loss so far?
depends on how good the o line transfers are.

gibbs is obviously an NFL talent super star so that sucks but dontae is no slouch. our o line was absolutely atrocious and was the biggest factor holding back the offense. the o line getting to even average or good will have more impact than gibbs

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck

Net gain or loss so far?
Losing Gibbs hurts. I don't see how we can consider it a net gain, for that reason alone.

But I am optimistic that the talent coming in can make a difference. Even if our talent level ends up being a net loss, the wins and losses could certainly be a net gain.

georgiatechfan2000

Georgia Tech Fan

Net gain o

Net gain or loss so far?

Net gain or loss so far?
IMO, definitely a net gain. Losing gibbs sucks but running back as a position group is very plug-and-play, and keeping jamious after he initially put his name in the portal is huge. Additionally, the only other name we really lost in the portal was yates which is not a big deal at all, as i don’t think he was seeing the field next season anyway and is clearly not the guy we wanted to be starting moving forward. On top of all that, adding 2 4* olinemen who have multiple years of eligibility left is big. Transforming the oline to a position of strength through the portal alone is really big. Also, i think it’s important to note the guys we were able to get to commit to the program *after* long was hired as OC. I think that shows that he has a clear vision for what he wants to do with this offense and is able to convince guys to buy in.

JacketFan137

Banned
IMO, definitely a net gain. Losing gibbs sucks but running back as a position group is very plug-and-play, and keeping jamious after he initially put his name in the portal is huge. Additionally, the only other name we really lost in the portal was yates which is not a big deal at all, as i don’t think he was seeing the field next season anyway and is clearly not the guy we wanted to be starting moving forward. On top of all that, adding 2 4* olinemen who have multiple years of eligibility left is big. Transforming the oline to a position of strength through the portal alone is really big. Also, i think it’s important to note the guys we were able to get to commit to the program *after* long was hired as OC. I think that shows that he has a clear vision for what he wants to do with this offense and is able to convince guys to buy in.
gibson over yates as the backup is a massive upgrade too. i highly doubt he takes the job but he should at least make it somewhat of a QB competition which would help sims too. i really think sims having zero actual threat to take his job wasn’t good for our team