Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we’re arguing semantics. I know academics were important to Calvin and his family.

My point is, even guys like Calvin or Andrew Luck, playing in the NFL is their main focus.

Those guys are smart enough to know football doesn’t last forever and value getting a good education (and making connections) along the way.

We have a lot of guys like that in our program. We also can’t bring in guys the dwags can that see no value in education and won’t put in any effort there. Thankfully there are planets of really good players that will put in effort both on and off the field.
You can focus on getting to the NFL and lose nothing also getting a quality education though. You don't have to pick one.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Right up there with Roosevelt as the toughest team to play in Atlanta in my day.
Understandable those "Cabbagetown" boys were pretty tough too. I went to Northside when Weyman Creel was still there. In my sister's time, Northside, North Fulton, and Murphy were the best teams in Atlanta but that was not saying much. In my day, the best teams were Dykes, North Fulton, and Westminster.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You can focus on getting to the NFL and lose nothing also getting a quality education though. You don't have to pick one.
And I think that is what most GT people mean when they expound about the education at GT. The odds of getting to the NFL are low for college players. Even highly recruited players can have issues or injuries that keep them out of the pros. I don't think GT people would say to forget all about NFL dreams and just get a GT degree, but would say that getting an education at GT provides a good backup plan if the NFL dreams don't work out.

I would make that recommendation even to players who go to other schools. Don't let the sport take every single bit of your effort. Work towards education and networking. If you don't have any backup plans, then one cleat stuck in turf could end every opportunity that you have. Take the moonshot, but have a place to live and food to eat if it doesn't work out.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Jamious Griffin is going in the portal as well. This one is more curious because with Gibbs and Mason leaving, he should be splitting starts with Dontae

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jamious Griffin is going in the portal as well. This one is more curious because with Gibbs and Mason leaving, he should be splitting starts with Dontae

Unfortunately, I had a feeling this was going to happen. Good luck to him...TOUGH when you're the crown jewel of one recruiting class, and the next class someone playing the same position as you is a generational talent.

Nothing but good things to say about Jamious. Was the jolt in the arm CGC's first class needed, represented GT well, and never did anything to hurt GT. Next school is getting a dang good player and teammate.

Makes sense that we are pursuing another 4 star RB this class. The two RBs we currently have committed better be ready. Dontae Smith is going to need some help in that backfield.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not clear what happened with his PT other than Gibbs was just too talented to give him enough minutes. I was expecting him to be very much in the mix with Dontae next year. Sorry he felt the need to leave. Good luck to him where he ends up.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
im starting to see why this is to be the biggest transition in college football history!
Good luck RBU....Gibbs, Mason, Griffin, good luck gentlemen..Make the Institute even more proud of you in your future endeavors...
Pnaude "left the cupboard bare"😂

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Griffin's decision was made a month ago. That's why he chose to redshirt the rest of the season.

FWIW, he wasn't passing Dontae on the depth chart any time soon.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Really surprised Griffin is leaving. He would have had lots of carries next year unless I’m missing something. Disappointing.
Agree this is disappointing but you dance with the date you brought.

Next man up! Opportunity for one (or more) of the incoming freshmen to get more playing time. Or maybe another rb enters in via the transfer portal.

1638843875691.gif