Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Yates hasn’t looked good against ANY P5 opponent. That includes his garbage snaps. He’s in the portal now hood for him. I hope he gets on at an Ivy and max out his degrees.
I didn't say that to say Yates was better than Sims. I was merely pointing out that the other poster claimed Yates was an inferior rusher because of his lower ypc avg, is a stupid argument bc Sims didn't face ND our UGAg so it's a dumb argument.
Not saying one is better then the other.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I didn't say that to say Yates was better than Sims. I was merely pointing out that the other poster claimed Yates was an inferior rusher because of his lower ypc avg, is a stupid argument bc Sims didn't face ND our UGAg so it's a dumb argument.
Not saying one is better then the other.

To put this to bed, Yates also faced our weakest opponent KSU, who held him to -8 yards, and prior to ND and uga, his YPC were nowhere near Sims. Yates is a good QB, but he is not anywhere near as dangerous as Sims is on the ground.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think Gibbs with Bryce Young in that offense would be a lot of fun to watch.
I would rather have watched Gibbs with us.
I watched the Bammer- Barn game and they discussed how thin Bammer was on 5 star running backs. They were down to something crazy like on 4 on the roster and 2 of those are hurt. I mean how do you field a team with only two 5 star RBs? Their 3 &4 deep are now 4 stars, truly embarrassing for them.

JacketFan137

Banned
I watched the Bammer- Barn game and they discussed how thin Bammer was on 5 star running backs. They were down to something crazy like on 4 on the roster and 2 of those are hurt. I mean how do you field a team with only two 5 star RBs? Their 3 &4 deep are now 4 stars, truly embarrassing for them.
i’m excited for gibbs cause he will be the best RB on the team and will get a lot of media hype. wished he stayed but he needs to look out for himself before he looks out for tech

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No one can know the future. Gibbs gave us 2 years and will give his next stop one. ( I think it is clear his goal is to go pro as soon as possible) He was hurt both seasons with us and that trend tends to follow players. So while it is possible he goes to Alabama or Southern Cal and wins the Heisman trophy, it is also possible that he goes somewhere and either gets stuck behind someone better or gets injured and nurses his self by not playing, in hopes of entering the draft for 2023. Most running backs in the NFL have a shelf life of 2.66 years. I hope he handles his business in such a way as to have a successful life.

So in terms of what Tech loses, most probably less than a full season of a player that is good but really not great. Most of these transfers don't pan out so we will just have to wait and see how it goes for Gibbs.

Go Jackets!

LibertyTurns

Banned
i’m excited for gibbs cause he will be the best RB on the team and will get a lot of media hype. wished he stayed but he needs to look out for himself before he looks out for tech
The NFL doesn’t really care. If all he does is use Bammer’s weight room and have their staff work on his techniques blocking, etc he’ll be better off. His big date’s at the combine. He shows out well & he’ll be a top 5-6 RB back pick.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
No one can know the future. Gibbs gave us 2 years and will give his next stop one. ( I think it is clear his goal is to go pro as soon as possible) He was hurt both seasons with us and that trend tends to follow players. So while it is possible he goes to Alabama or Southern Cal and wins the Heisman trophy, it is also possible that he goes somewhere and either gets stuck behind someone better or gets injured and nurses his self by not playing, in hopes of entering the draft for 2023. Most running backs in the NFL have a shelf life of 2.66 years. I hope he handles his business in such a way as to have a successful life.

So in terms of what Tech loses, most probably less than a full season of a player that is good but really not great. Most of these transfers don't pan out so we will just have to wait and see how it goes for Gibbs.

Go Jackets!
We often don't agree but I agree with your post 99%...could've wished hum luck lol but well stated nonetheless.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
No elite college athlete prioritizes academics over athletics anyways. Even before NIL.

This is just something Tech fans like to think to make themselves feel better if we don’t recruit better or have a bad team.

Even a guy like Andrew Luck at Standford or Calvin here didn’t prioritize academics over athletics. It’s just a fallacy.
Calvin chose Tech because of academics. His mother was in education so she wanted him to have something to fall back on in case football didn’t work out. He could’ve played for any team in the country but came to Tech that was 7-6 the year prior to his arrival.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Calvin chose Tech because of academics. His mother was in education so she wanted him to have something to fall back on in case football didn’t work out. He could’ve played for any team in the country but came to Tech that was 7-6 the year prior to his arrival.
That played a part. Location was a major factor as he’s close with his family and wanted them at his games.

Lastly, Richt wouldn’t tell him he would start as a freshman, Gailey did from what I remember.

And let’s say you’re 100% correct that the reason he chose GT was academics. That still doesn’t change the fact that his primary focus was playing in the NFL. Sure he wanted to well in the classroom, but that took a backseat to his NFL aspirations.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
That played a part. Location was a major factor as he’s close with his family and wanted them at his games.

Lastly, Richt wouldn’t tell him he would start as a freshman, Gailey did from what I remember.

And let’s say you’re 100% correct that the reason he chose GT was academics. That still doesn’t change the fact that his primary focus was playing in the NFL. Sure he wanted to well in the classroom, but that took a backseat to his NFL aspirations.
If you're going to end up in the NFL, it really doesn't matter which school you go to in the FBS, even sometimes FCS. If you think you can end up in the NFL, it makes more sense to get a decent education as a backup plan than to sell out completely towards athletics.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I remember him saying (somewhat in jest) that his family considered him the "failure" of the family because he doesn't have a doctorate like his siblings.

Not in jest any, I have read quoted from him basically saying that while he did have a goal of getting to the NFL that there is never a guarantee. Injuries can happen that make the NFL impossible. From an ESPN article in 2016:

That’s why he went to Georgia Tech. As talented as he was leaving high school, he knew a football career was no guarantee. It’s part of why he wants to go back, to see what doors finishing his degree could open up after football.

“You never know how football is going to work out,” Johnson said. “So that’s why I went to Georgia Tech. You get that degree and you can work wherever, you know.”

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
If you're going to end up in the NFL, it really doesn't matter which school you go to in the FBS, even sometimes FCS. If you think you can end up in the NFL, it makes more sense to get a decent education as a backup plan than to sell out completely towards athletics.

I remember him saying (somewhat in jest) that his family considered him the "failure" of the family because he doesn't have a doctorate like his siblings.

Not in jest any, I have read quoted from him basically saying that while he did have a goal of getting to the NFL that there is never a guarantee. Injuries can happen that make the NFL impossible. From an ESPN article in 2016:
I think we’re arguing semantics. I know academics were important to Calvin and his family.

My point is, even guys like Calvin or Andrew Luck, playing in the NFL is their main focus.

Those guys are smart enough to know football doesn’t last forever and value getting a good education (and making connections) along the way.

We have a lot of guys like that in our program. We also can’t bring in guys the dwags can that see no value in education and won’t put in any effort there. Thankfully there are planets of really good players that will put in effort both on and off the field.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Some kids and their families want them to get a college degree even if they play pro ball. Michael Jordan came back to UNC to finish his degree in the off season. I would see him at the UNC golf course in the off season when he was finishing. He would play golf until it was too dark to see virtually every day. It was important for him to graduate.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Right up there with Roosevelt as the toughest team to play in Atlanta in my day.
I still remember Pepper Rodger’s first game coaching at Tech was on national TV against Notre Dame. Notre Dame was on the Tech goal line and it was Sanford’s first college game. He hit the ND running back so hard the back was wobbly the rest of the game.