Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Concerned about a reliable backup QB with Yates leaving and Sims missed at least 4 games with injuries. No one else will have taken snaps. Transfer in maybe?

LibertyTurns

Banned

This ILB, Branden Jennings, went to HS with Jeff Sims and is a class younger (2021). Just entered the portal from Maryland. Pretty highly rated.

Not saying there is any smoke here. We sure could use someone like him though.
We got burned pretty bad on our last Md transfer. Maybe we need someone to evaluate this time before we jump right in?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We got burned pretty bad on our last Md transfer. Maybe we need someone to evaluate this time before we jump right in?

I would push back on this a bit. It's sort of like the old Reggie Ball discussions....the coaches deemed him to be better than those behind him. If we want to criticize recruiting and development (which is owned by highly paid professionals) I am okay with that. But to criticize the player for being the best available option isn't 100% fair. Like Ball, I am certain that this guy gave 100% of his best every time he stepped on the field.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Concerned about a reliable backup QB with Yates leaving and Sims missed at least 4 games with injuries. No one else will have taken snaps. Transfer in maybe?
If it were me then I would bring in the best QB we can get, not only as a potential backup but to actually compete for the job, and push Sims to improve. However if the staff feels really good about Peery then maybe you just let him fill that role.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If it were me then I would bring in the best QB we can get, not only as a potential backup but to actually compete for the job, and push Sims to improve. However if the staff feels really good about Peery then maybe you just let him fill that role.
To a realistic extent, the coaches better be doing that at every position. Coaches have to use their time wisely when recruiting but I would hope we are checking with the best players at all positions of need to see if their is mutual interest.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but he was certainly very important and any suggestion that he won't be missed is a whistle in the dark.
I think from a running perspective we had multiple options but Gibbs clearly had the breakaway speed the others don't have. But Gibbs was also a terrific receiver out of the backfield which I haven't see much from the other Running Backs. Doesn't mean they can't but unproven. From a running back committee perspective moving forward, I think we can get production. But the home run shots are really tough to replicate.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Having a reliable back up is nice, but is a luxury at a lot of places most years. Usually you hope you have a back up who might be unproven but has high potential.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe bad football in Norman is still better than anything else to do on a Saturday…
yes, but its Lincoln. I'm a GT grad and a Nebraska prof. What you say is true, but not only no pro teams but no other D1 Nebraska teams, plus mediocre high school football. Thats one thing Nebraskans don't get - no in state rival. There's only one Nebraska team.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think from a running perspective we had multiple options but Gibbs clearly had the breakaway speed the others don't have. But Gibbs was also a terrific receiver out of the backfield which I haven't see much from the other Running Backs. Doesn't mean they can't but unproven. From a running back committee perspective moving forward, I think we can get production. But the home run shots are really tough to replicate.
i think dontae is VERY good. not gibbs and no one will be but i do think dontae could shine with an expanded role

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Nebraska was 3-9 this year and has been bad the past couple of years like up. Almost sold out every game. Always a sea of red. Its not just a team problem. We can do better too.

Even their spring game gets completely sold out.
but fan support is weakening, The ~380 sold out games record is motivating. Now local business buy any unsold tickets and give them away. But in fact there is a sea of red. Wondering if its different in college towns and big cities? Miami and Pittsburgh never look sold out

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
but fan support is weakening, The ~380 sold out games record is motivating. Now local business buy any unsold tickets and give them away. But in fact there is a sea of red. Wondering if its different in college towns and big cities? Miami and Pittsburgh never look sold out
maybe Atlanta business should buy out all the seats to support the 404 message?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
1. Oh, really? Gibbs has a better burst, but look at Smith's senior film here:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4027421/Dontae-Smith

Pretty quick, isn't he? He'll do on speed.

2. You're 100% right about Gibbs as a receiver, however. I don't know if Smith can catch like he could, but I do know he isn't as cute. Gibbs was always most dangerous when he caught the ball down field.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I would push back on this a bit. It's sort of like the old Reggie Ball discussions....the coaches deemed him to be better than those behind him. If we want to criticize recruiting and development (which is owned by highly paid professionals) I am okay with that. But to criticize the player for being the best available option isn't 100% fair. Like Ball, I am certain that this guy gave 100% of his best every time he stepped on the field.
You’re probably right. It’s not the player’s fault the staff hyped him as some extraordinary upgrade. He played at basically the same level at Md.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You’re probably right. It’s not the player’s fault the staff hyped him as some extraordinary upgrade. He played at basically the same level at Md.
Ealy was fine, no one on defense was "good." He was as good as Curry was the guy he replaced. We had no better options.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our LBs played well most of the year. Jackson, Eley, and Thomas were not the problems on defense. Our DL lacks depth, and our DBs were puzzling in their inability to cover assignments, but the LBs generally speaking played well. Sure there were some missed assignments, and late in the year some missed tackles, but IMO that had to do with them trying to hard to force turnovers by batting at the ball. IMO, one of the main reasons Thacker has survived so far is the play of the LBs.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
1. Oh, really? Gibbs has a better burst, but look at Smith's senior film here:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4027421/Dontae-Smith

Pretty quick, isn't he? He'll do on speed.

2. You're 100% right about Gibbs as a receiver, however. I don't know if Smith can catch like he could, but I do know he isn't as cute. Gibbs was always most dangerous when he caught the ball down field.
Donate is/was a much tougher runner than Gibbs. Gibbs has phenomenal acceleration and speed and if he gets loose ...look out. Dontae doesn't possess those traits but he'll be filling in just fine in other regards of a RB especially breaking thru marginal tackle efforts that might ordinarily upend your average runner.

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Our LBs played well most of the year. Jackson, Eley, and Thomas were not the problems on defense. Our DL lacks depth, and our DBs were puzzling in their inability to cover assignments, but the LBs generally speaking played well. Sure there were some missed assignments, and late in the year some missed tackles, but IMO that had to do with them trying to hard to force turnovers by batting at the ball. IMO, one of the main reasons Thacker has survived so far is the play of the LBs.
I agree, actually thought Ely was pretty solid along with the other lb’s