Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I intend to as losing games means a whole lot more than any other factor.

I'll say this again. One of my HS friends had a son who played for GT under CPJ and the last year of CGC. He is still close with several members of the team. I was talking with him Sunday and he told me directly that his son reported to him that the players were extremely upset about the attendance this year and particularly the sea of red at the uga game. Tre Swilling said it politely in the press conference but it is being noticed. A couple of the players are extremely tired of playing in half empty stadiums. A few have indicated that they are strongly considering leaving to find a team that will actually support them. You can keep choosing to believe that our attendance doesn't matter, but you're dead wrong. I have it from a former players mouth.

Interesting note, one of our guys who was recruited by uga told him that the uga recruiter was right when he said if he chose uga he'd play a home game every time they played GT. How's that for negative recruiting?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this again. One of my HS friends had a son who played for GT under CPJ and the last year of CGC. He is still close with several members of the team. I was talking with him Sunday and he told me directly that his son reported to him that the players were extremely upset about the attendance this year and particularly the sea of red at the uga game. Tre Swilling said it politely in the press conference but it is being noticed. A couple of the players are extremely tired of playing in half empty stadiums. A few have indicated that they are strongly considering leaving to find a team that will actually support them. You can keep choosing to believe that our attendance doesn't matter, but you're dead wrong. I have it from a former players mouth.

Interesting note, one of our guys who was recruited by uga told him that the uga recruiter was right when he said if he chose uga he'd play a home game every time they played GT. How's that for negative recruiting?
I wonder how UGA’s attendance would be if they were 9-25 over the past three years. It probably wouldn’t fall off as much as ours has but it would definitely suffer, especially the away games. I feel like attendance is a lagging indicator of success and success is not a lagging indicator of attendance. If you want to play in front of a crowd, you gotta win first.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how UGA’s attendance would be if they were 9-25 over the past three years. It probably wouldn’t fall off as much as ours has but it would definitely suffer, especially the away games. I feel like attendance is a lagging indicator of success and success is not a lagging indicator of attendance. If you want to play in front of a crowd, you gotta win first.

Nebraska was 3-9 this year and has been bad the past couple of years like up. Almost sold out every game. Always a sea of red. Its not just a team problem. We can do better too.

Even their spring game gets completely sold out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Attendance hit the high water mark in 2015 and has declined steadily since. From 2015-2018 it dropped from 92% to 80% and from 2018-2021 from 80% to 69%. 2016 was a really good year in that stretch and it still dropped. New coach in 2019 and it still dropped. We have issues getting butts in seats and it's going to be a problem if we want to recruit with the big boys.

JacketFan137

Banned
I appreciate Yates and Sims but they led us to a total of 3 wins. Debating their merits at this point is analogous to debating if Jaws 3-D is better than Jaws the Revenge. Yates is leaving so I really hope Sims stays with us and matures during the off-season but I’m not ready to hang my hat on his future performance. CGC needs to do some magic and find us a great QB.
this is such a bad take. QB wins are not a stat. our offense scored points in some games but we also were giving up 500 yards like every game. doesn’t matter who the qb is when that’s the case.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I agree with you that we need to support the team. I plan to be at MBS in September.

However, I am very concerned that fans are not going to show up. I talked to someone who had season tickets for about 30 years until 2019 who only knew that GT lost against the mutts. He didn't pay attention to the season or even the mutt game. I talked to a coworker who had season tickets for about 4 years when his son was in high school and he seemed to not really care at all. I have read several posters who are long time season ticket holders who say they are not likely to renew.(although I don't know any of them personally) I have talked to fans of other teams and they mostly think that GT football is a joke.

The players do deserve our support. I will try to convince people to buy tickets and go to the games. I am glad that I am not TStan or CGC because I don't have a clue what they can do to drum up support. If GT were to fire CGC, I don't know that we could hire a coach that would excite the fans. I think many people have become numb to CGC's marketing talk. If GT were to fire CGC this year, I don't know that we could hire a coach that would excite the fans. The ONLY successful path forward that I can foresee at this point is for CGC to be successful next year. If he isn't I am not sure that we will be able to hire a coach that will excite fans next year either. It might take 10 years for GT football to recover. I certainly hope that there are other paths to success that I just can't see because I am feeling very helpless about the entire program.

Last edited:

Tech93

Helluva Engineer

You keep harping on this and I respect your input but after 3 years of a terrible product and other things to do during such a great time of year, do you really think the stadium will be full of Tech fans? I’ve been an avid GT fan for years and always will be (have 4 season tickets, donate, etc) but between driving 3 hours to see terrible football and get frustrated and disappointed watching a nightmare on the field, or doing something else on a beautiful Fall day, I choose the latter.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Attendance hit the high water mark in 2015 and has declined steadily since. From 2015-2018 it dropped from 92% to 80% and from 2018-2021 from 80% to 69%. 2016 was a really good year in that stretch and it still dropped. New coach in 2019 and it still dropped. We have issues getting butts in seats and it's going to be a problem if we want to recruit with the big boys.
I agree. It’s definitely an issue. Personally, I will pull for GT regardless of their record but I’m an alum. In the past few years I’ve been to ND twice, Ireland, Blacksburg, Louisville, Clemson, Athens, etc. and a lot of home games to cheer on the team. What is odd…maybe because I’m odd 😉… is that I’ve never developed any kind of relationships with other GT fans that I meet at the games. Part of the issue is that the other GT fans I meet seem to live all over the country.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Dontae with the jokes

This hasn’t gotten enough love here. He will be a big part of eating up the snaps Gibbs takes with him.

people oscars GIF

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or does it seem that there’s a couple/few of GT players who are “liking” Tennessee posts on Twitter. I also noticed the Burton had also like some other posts making comments about Tennessee. Perhaps it’s just players he had developed relationships with through recruiting, him trying to
Market himself, or does he anticipate getting a job at Tennessee? Just an observation not trying to start rumors. Z. Walton is got this 🤔 emoji and then liked a Tennessee comment on Twitter?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You keep harping on this and I respect your input but after 3 years of a terrible product and other things to do during such a great time of year, do you really think the stadium will be full of Tech fans? I’ve been an avid GT fan for years and always will be (have 4 season tickets, donate, etc) but between driving 3 hours to see terrible football and get frustrated and disappointed watching a nightmare on the field, or doing something else on a beautiful Fall day, I choose the latter.

No. I have no expectations that our fanbase will suddenly show support for the players they profess to care about. I have no expectation that you and many others will choose GT football over something else. I just am tired of the justification of it by saying it doesn't matter to the athletes and that it's not a reason that they are dissatisfied with their time at GT. The pretense that it's only a coaching issue has to end. Our fanbase has to come to terms with the systemic issues preventing GT football from succeeding the way they would like it to, and we have to admit that we are a part of that failed system. It's a vicious circle down the drain of college football relevance, and our absence from the games is speeding it right along.

BTW, I too drive three hours to the game. It isn't fun going home after a loss. I do it anyways because I love my team, win or lose.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
this is such a bad take. QB wins are not a stat. our offense scored points in some games but we also were giving up 500 yards like every game. doesn’t matter who the qb is when that’s the case.
We were 5th in the Coastal in points scored. I don’t think my take is a bad take but I do agree that our defense compounded the problem.

JacketFan137

Banned
We were 5th in the Coastal in points scored. I don’t think my take is a bad take but I do agree that our
you’re putting way too much blame strictly on the QB when we had such bad offensive line play and defense. for you to just pin it all on the qbs and act like that is the only factor clearly illustrates you have no idea what you’re talking about