Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
My line of thinking is CGC is a defensive coach. Expecting him to hire a DC with philosophical differences is kind of akin to expecting CPJ to hire an OC to install a pro-style. If CGC is coaching for his career, as I expect he is, I would think, as a defensive coach, he is going to live or die with *his* system, not someone else's. So I expect him to hire someone who at least shares the basics of his defensive philosophy. I mean, there isn't an infinite number of ways to construct a defense, so I don't think it will be *that* hard to find.

I also think it would be a bad idea to totally change defensive schemes. He probably needs to make a bowl next year and can't afford to give the new DC 2 years to fully install a new system.

But, we'll see. It's definitely going to be interesting.
The basic scheme is sound. Accountability is the buy in for players and coaches. maybe it’s the dawn of a new day?

Last edited:

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Cpj just wanted a defense that worked. He ran 4 3 335 34 425 hell he ran 34 in 4 3 alignment.... Unfortunately none of it worked
Sure but when the offense clicked it didn't matter. We are no longer even in that spot and have the same dog **** *** garbage defense that we had most of the time under him.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Not demeaning to him in any way. I would certainly do it for money if I were him. RBs in the NFL get screwed when it comes to contracts. They need to get paid as soon as possible. I'm a big fan and will root for him wherever he ends up
Both Tech and Gibbs will be fine. It is a learning experience for him. He knows more about himself now. The young man is and has been a team player at Dalton and GT despite his obvious immensity of ability. He never acted entitled. He brings Those around him better. Yes GT was better with him. Ponder that. Good luck to the future Heisman finalist

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If Sims goes too (no idea if he will or not) there's a good chance our QB1 and RB1 are Yates and Smith/Mason, who were all CPJ recruits. That's a bad look for Collins in year 4 given some of the stuff he said or implied about the talent on the roster when he got here.

If Sims goes, I think we hit the portal for a QB. Mason is done.

I think we need to wait and see.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not mad at Gibbs who would want to stay and play for such a sad looking joke of a team when you truly know your nfl grade talent. Winning is what makes football fun 100-0 makes you wonder why you even showed up. I put it on the coaches and what’s sad is what a wasted talent he was. He could’ve gone down as a Calvin type legend but one day we will have repressed these awful dark days so far in our subconscious minds that hopefully we won’t even remember them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Sims goes, I think we hit the portal for a QB. Mason is done.

I think we need to wait and see.

There's a LOT of QB talent in the transfer portal. Whether or not they want to come here will be dependent on who our OC is.

Smith, IMO, has developed into a VERY good RB. He's very explosive, and deserved more carries than he got. He'll go into 2022 as probably our top back. Jamious Griffin will return and we have another 4 star committed. More importantly, we have Tashard Choice who is a RB whisperer. Remember what he did with Mason in 2019...let's not forget how much of monster Mason that year under TC's coaching.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Sure, we’ll miss Gibbs but we have some really good talent in our backfield. The big pic is how will all this pan out. Will anything be salvageable for next year and can a new OC make enough of an impact. I sure hope so.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
That's the thing: there are pieces that could contribute to a turnaround. RB situation took a hit, but we have other talent. Seems like O line pieces could be added to shore up some holes.

It just depends on who is taking over the decision-making.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We will miss Gibbs's talent. No doubt about that.

BUT...if you tell me the price of having above average OL play and above average QB play is losing Gibbs, I'll take that deal.

Of course, the dream scenario is getting good OL and QB play AND Gibbs coming back.

This is GT though, so we can't overdo it with good things.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Players play, coaches coach, fans cheer, *****, and moan. Fans are not responsible for the wretched play, lack of effort, and pathetic coaching.

No, but they are responsible for cheering on the team. Again, the athletes have noticed we quit on them. There's a good chance several more will bail in the next week. One of their biggest complaints is that the fanbase quit on them. They are right. You can call it the coaches fault, but they just see an empty stadium. That's our fault. We have one job: show up and cheer. We failed that task.

ClinicalCowboy

Georgia Tech Fan
No, but they are responsible for cheering on the team. Again, the athletes have noticed we quit on them. There's a good chance several more will bail in the next week. One of their biggest complaints is that the fanbase quit on them. They are right. You can call it the coaches fault, but they just see an empty stadium. That's our fault. We have one job: show up and cheer. We failed that task.
This notion is always puzzling to me… why as fans should we show up year after year, game after game and watch a piss poor performance from top to bottom. Football wether college or NFL is entertainment and when the entertainment loses its excitement you turn it off. This is why the stadium was empty. Who wants to work all week and drive 1.5 hours to see us get our *** kicked?

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
As much as this hurts, remember that without CGC & staff, he doesn't come here to begin with. As a former athlete and coach, I know when a player leaves or gets hurt or whatever, it's next man up. No one on staff or on the team is losing sleep that He's gone. Like the coaching dismissals yesterday, this is just part of the business. The RB room is our deepest position and we will recover. I wish Gibby well and hope he can succeed wherever he goes. I hope that place will allow him a full season injury free, something we never saw from him. Hope he hears his name called in April 2023 and produces over and beyond what he has done here.

And if he goes to a team (UT) that plays uga, may he help beat their puppy a$$e$!
Well said. We will be fine at RB.