Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My line of thinking is CGC is a defensive coach. Expecting him to hire a DC with philosophical differences is kind of akin to expecting CPJ to hire an OC to install a pro-style. If CGC is coaching for his career, as I expect he is, I would think, as a defensive coach, he is going to live or die with *his* system, not someone else's. So I expect him to hire someone who at least shares the basics of his defensive philosophy. I mean, there isn't an infinite number of ways to construct a defense, so I don't think it will be *that* hard to find.

But, we'll see. It's definitely going to be interesting.

I get what you're saying, but Thacker calls the defense. CPJ called his own offense. It's not really the same thing. If CPJ's offense was going down, it was going down with him captaining the ship. If you're not going to call the offense/defense, it's probably better to get someone who's good at what they do. CPJ's was married to his offense, and because he was the best at it, there was no reason to pay someone else to do it. That's not the case with CGC...or most other coaches. Urban Meyer is known as an offensive guru, but he hired OCs with different schemes and let them call the offense. Tom Herman, and Ryan Day being the two big names to call offenses under Urban Meyer.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be very surprised if the new DC runs a completely different scheme from what Collins is known for. I am not an X's and O's guy, so I don't know the pool of candidates who run a 4-2-5.

I don't think the scheme is an issue, but rather the way it is being taught and practiced.
I think the coaching staff can’t judge talent . If something not working try something else. We keep the same DBS starting every week. Same results. Need a fresh set of eyes on defense

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I get what you're saying, but Thacker calls the defense. CPJ called his own offense. It's not really the same thing. If CPJ's offense was going down, it was going down with him captaining the ship. If you're not going to call the offense/defense, it's probably better to get someone who's good at what they do. CPJ's was married to his offense, and because he was the best at it, there was no reason to pay someone else to do it. That's not the case with CGC...or most other coaches. Urban Meyer is known as an offensive guru, but he hired OCs with different schemes and let them call the offense. Tom Herman, and Ryan Day being the two big names to call offenses under Urban Meyer.

I see the merit in what you are saying, I just don't think Collins will play it that way. Could be wrong. I just wanna win either way.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The same scheme is not necessary, but the same type of players is. Every time CPJ changed DC’s the switched front 7’s. That left us with a bunch of guys who didn’t quite fit our defense. Then we were rebuilding in our LB and DE corps. We never kept a DC long enough to actually make the transition fully. Probably part of the reason we struggled on D.

From the outside looking in.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
It will be a Thanksgiving miracle if the moderators on here do not delete this thread. We need this place to monitor the coming and going of GT FB players on our roster.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't care what scheme we run. I think most schemes can be successful if the players you have fit what you want to do and you are competent at teaching them how to execute it properly AND you communicate quickly and efficiently what you want done during the game. If you have the first 2 things but then you have analysis paralysis or whatever it is that keeps our DC from getting a play called in a reasonable amount of time then you'll have defenders working with incredibly limited time to figure out what to do with the call you've made considering the player grouping and alignment on the other side of the ball. This is especially true if, a lot of times, the opposing offense is already lined up and getting ready to snap the ball and you've just signaled in the play 2 seconds ago. Expecting the defenders to communicate appropriately and be able to take what you called and map it to what they're seeing in the super short time you give them by calling the play so late is ridiculous. I can't even count the number of times I'm staring at the screen or the field and yelling "call the play already" while watching the players stare at the sideline.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC will probably want a guy who coaches a similar scheme or has a similar philosophy. It won’t be hard as his defense is based on the same Saban “BAMA”principles found all over the SEC.

He’s not gonna stir too far away from his style nor will he slow the development of his roster installing a totally different system. 4-2-5 is just an ailment, not a scheme. They played mostly a 3-3-5 this season and have played 4-3 sporadically.

The defensive issues I don’t think are scheme related anyway.