Transfer Changes

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that those who leave to find greener pastures might have more difficulty to find a spot in the same level of play. The portal will have a lot more names but there are still only limited spots available

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think that those who leave to find greener pastures might have more difficulty to find a spot in the same level of play. The portal will have a lot more names but there are still only limited spots available

We've had a few leave and not find a spot elsewhere. Transfer portal is a double edged sword for everyone involved. Yes, kids have more freedom, but so do teams. We've lost good players, we have had more good players come here.

It will be interesting with the local recruits that choose other schools the first time around. We saw it with basketball. Three 4 star kids chose other schools out of high school, and have returned home to have a big impact on our basketball program (James Banks, Kyle Usher, Kyle Sturdivant) and we have fourth 4 star kid coming in next season (Deivon Smith). We're starting to see it with some local kids in football as well with Kyric McGowan, Kevin Harris, and Devin Cochrane.

Recruiting is recruiting whether it's out of high school or the transfer portal. I think once kids leave a program the first time, the more important things start coming into focus...namely the future outside of football. I think GT will be well positioned with our elite education and location in Atlanta for internship and NIL opportunities.

IMO, I think the new landscape is actually beneficial for GT and may just have been a game changer for all of our sports programs.