1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Tourney

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by THWG16, Jan 13, 2019.

1. THWG16

THWG16 Helluva Engineer

Ya know if this team could win their next 2 & be 4-1 on conference & 12-6 overall , we’d probably be in the conversation for bubble for ncaa . Just a thought , I hope we keep improving

BuzzThePlumber likes this.
  2. Southpaw13

Southpaw13 Helluva Engineer

I just hope we win enough to go to the NIT. I don’t see us going to the tourney this year.

3. gtpi

gtpi Helluva Engineer

why not? no one saw nit the first year.

4. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Our remaining games are

@Clemson
    UL
    ND

@Duke
    UNC
    @FSU
    Clemson
    @ND
    @VT
    FSU
    Pitt
    @Miami

@UVA
    BC
    @NCSU

Bolded are wins in what would be to me be an optimistic outlook for the remaining schedule. Not to say we couldn't win the others or lose those, but if we continue to develop and gel I think we could realistically get to around 9-9 in conference. That would put as at 17-14 going into the NCAAT. The recent team that looks most like was WF from 16-17 who were 9-9 19-13 overall and made it to the first 4. To me we'd have to win 2 in the ACCT to make the NCAAT with what we have. IF we find ourselves in that position we will be looking back at the Gardner Webb game, along with a couple others, and kicking ourselves.

THWG and LibertyTurns like this.
  5. smathis30

smathis30 Helluva Engineer

difference between being the 60th best team that year and 44th to make the bubble is pretty big. 20% improvement over that team would be required. We are looking at improving, but being ranked high 90s in KenPom suggests well need a little luck, as we are towards the bottom in that category.
    Potential is there if we get 20 wins, but we needed more than 9 wins OOC as GT has finished with an above .500 record in ACC play i can more or less count on one hand, and we still have UNC, Duke, and UVA to go.

6. ramblinwreckguru

ramblinwreckguru Ramblin' Wreck

Next 3 games are against # 62, 24, and 111 RPI teams in order of schedule. If we go 5-1 to start ACC play, we will have a potential NCAA tourney team on our hands my friends.

gtpi likes this.
  7. lauraee

lauraee Helluva Engineer

It'd be nice but acc wins are tough & this team is young.

okiemon, gtpi and Boaty1 like this.
  8. ramblinwreckguru

ramblinwreckguru Ramblin' Wreck

I completely agree and don't think we'll win the next 3, but if we do, I would feel really good about out tourney chances. If we go 2-1 in the next 3, that would be incredible.

9. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

If we win out, we could be a 1 seed.

crut, bwelbo, Sean and 4 others like this.
  10. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

Last week, the “fire Pastner” thread was still blazing, so I’m gonna say run with this and bathe in this feeling for now. I hope this thread goes 75 pages long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwelbo, AUFC, connell62 and 4 others like this.
  11. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I wish I knew the rotation for assistant coach game planning.

My gut tells me that Reveno schemed for cuse and Julian for georgie.

But, my gut typically tells me more bacon and less exercise is a good idea, so there's that.

12. whitegoldsphinx

whitegoldsphinx Helluva Engineer

This is a very young team which will have a lot of ups and downs until they can develop consistency. Winning at Clemson in Littlejohn would be huge. We rarely ever win there even when we have very good teams. I do not expect a win, but it is there for the taking if we play very well.

13. ramblinwreck12

ramblinwreck12 Georgia Tech Fan

This one was Coach Wilkins

AE 87 likes this.
  14. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

You’re right about little johnnie. We seem to screw the pooch there even when we have much better teams.

15. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

While I think the notion of going to the NCAAT is not worth thinking about for a variety of reasons, I'll do my best at humoring the premise.

A good first step in qualifying for the NCAAT includes beating at least one team that is also going to the NCAAT. We haven't done that yet, imo.

16. THWG16

THWG16 Helluva Engineer

Gardner Webb & St Johns

17. CINCYMETJACKET

CINCYMETJACKET Jolly Good Fellow

Not concerned about the NCAAT right now. Just beat Clemson.

18. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Just manic-depressive behaviour in basketball.

And we get baseball started in a month with that being the likely scenario.

At least football is stable manic right now without any real games. We get some recruits and it may get better.

But I like the manic better too.

19. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

We have a tourney team next season.

20. sidewalkGTfan

sidewalkGTfan Helluva Engineer

Still a lot of season to play, but we'd have to do REALLY well in conference play to get past the GWU and mutt losses, from a resume standpoint.

CuseJacket and MiracleWhips like this.