Total NFL snaps, shotgun vs under center ...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Very interesting. LA Rams are 63% from under center. NE Patriots are at 55% from under center.

ATL Falcons are 50-50, interestingly.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't anybody who was in the "under center" camp under CPJ are going to argue we similarly need to be under center under CGC. The "under center" discussion was really unique to the option offense.

The first time we line up in shotgun to get half a yard on 3rd and short people are going to realize how silly not having undercenter packages is. Even Georgia Southern who have gone to a gun option scheme still have the flex formation for short yardage and goal line.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The first time we line up in shotgun to get half a yard on 3rd and short people are going to realize how silly not having undercenter packages is. Even Georgia Southern who have gone to a gun option scheme still have the flex formation for short yardage and goal line.
Didnt the coaches say they would match the scheme to the players?
I think that means they will be more flexible in the under center verses shotgum.

Rambler thanks for content.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Didnt the coaches say they would match the scheme to the players?
I think that means they will be more flexible in the under center verses shotgum.

Rambler thanks for content.

It will bee very interesting to see what our new OC Patenaude does.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Did any of the new staff ever intimate that we would never go undercenter?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
In one of his pressers (maybe his intro one) CGC said we would run an NFL offense from the shotgun. I'd look up the link but a bit lazy atm.

Honestly ... it doesnt matter.

Perception-wise, its idiotic to pass from under center on 3rd and 13. Perception-wise, its idiotic to go shotgun inside zone on 4th and inches. Pick your poison.
:D

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think it’s noteworthy to know that both of the current NFL Super Bowl LIII teams are over 50% from under center. (Patriots 55%, Rams 63%.)

The losers of the two NFL semifinal games from last week could not be any more different: the Chiefs were 80% from the shotgun (only 20% from under center), while the Saints were 51% from under center.

Also of note is that if you read the last line at the bottom of the table, the Grand Total (i.e., average) of all NFL teams this year was 38% from under center and 68% from shotgun. To me, this means that at least the two top teams that are now in the Super Bowl have much more balanced offenses than the league average. The Chiefs, while they were very good offensively and came close to making it to the Super Bowl, were a conspicuous outlier.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
In his first presser, also I just had to go through this as a georgia southern fan so maybe I'm a little jaded.

I just rewatched his intro presser. He never once mentioned a thing about under center or shotgun.

He did mention:

- NFL based O. Whatever that means.

- Roster management sheet from Saban. Will “plug & p,ay” based on what we have, not only to benefit our O, but to help our D (2 most important aspects are D & ST) get a better look what they will see on Saturdays and what they will see on the next level in the NFL.

- mentioned Rams, Pats, Bears all have NFL based O but each are different due to roster management.

- plug and play based on talent level we have now, who might transfer in, and who we recruit.

Again, Nothing mentioned about never going under center but a lot intimated we would be flexible as it should be. I have no doubt we will do both. If we did one or the other 100% of the time it would be stupid.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Correct. He said we would run an offense and defense would prepare players for the NFL. His OC and DC have also said that we would be multiple and do what fits the players’ strengths.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I think it’s noteworthy to know that both of the current NFL Super Bowl LIII teams are over 50% from under center. (Patriots 55%, Rams 63%.)

The losers of the two NFL semifinal games from last week could not be any more different: the Chiefs were 80% from the shotgun (only 20% from under center), while the Saints were 51% from under center.

Also of note is that if you read the last line at the bottom of the table, the Grand Total (i.e., average) of all NFL teams this year was 38% from under center and 68% from shotgun. To me, this means that at least the two top teams that are now in the Super Bowl have much more balanced offenses than the league average. The Chiefs, while they were very good offensively and came close to making it to the Super Bowl, were a conspicuous outlier.
The Pats O got to play the Chiefs D.

The Chiefs didn't lose because of their O.