Top three GT games you have been to?

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
1. 1990 UVA: Will likely always be number one for me... Attended with my mom, who was at the '61 Alabama game, and she at the time, she said it was the only game better than that one... Rushed the field with all the other crazed GT fans...
2. 1984 UGA: First UGA game... Was a sophomore transfer from Presbyterian... Magical to be at the Cesspool and see the drought broken...
3. Every other exciting game I've been to since - too many to mention... 1990 Clemson, Fog Bowl, Fuad Reviez's slip, 1990 Citrus Bowl, Clemson a few years ago... Such great times with friends and family... Go Jackets forever!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta add 2008 in Athens.
Preseason #1 ranked team. Stafford. Moreno. Greene. Massaquaionoinoiwqua...

'WHERE IS THE STING OF THESE YELLOW JACKETS?' got shoved right back in the commentators' faces. Watching Roddy streak down the sidelines was awesome.
Couldn't make the game, but I'm proud to say my wife was in the GA student section giving those mutt fans hell!

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
2. 2006 Maryland (the Michael Johnson game). Just me and dad again. Thought for sure we were toast after MD answered our go-ahead FG with a loooonnngg pass play down the east sideline. A safety (name?) made a tremendous play to chase him down, and we all know how MJ single-handedly finished it. (Loudest I'd heard BDS at that time.)
I think the safety was Avery Roberson and I'm pretty sure the receiver was Heyward-Bey. I watched part of that game on tv and had to drive over to Birmingham in the second half. My signal was almost gone so I pulled over on I20 to hear Wes call those MJ sacks

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Impossible to stop at 3 but here goes:
Ugag 89 our O Line dominated
Citrus Bowl
ACCCG '09

Other great games:
Hoos '98
FSU '08 and '09 (was convinced we would never beat them in my lifetime)
Fog bowl
3-3 tie as a student
Nez vs Wake '09
VT '09

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
#1 2000 UGA Lil Joes Senior Day
#2 99 Gator Bowl vs Notre Dame
#3 2000 Clemson Streeter? carted off after Greg Gathers leveled him enter Woody Dantler

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
During the 80's the most often shouted phrase in the student section was usually "asses on the wood!"

For me:

- 85 UGA game was the best. Had way too much to drink that day since they moved the start time to night. We were still flying high from the 35-18 in 1984. Taped it too. Loved it when the camera zoom in on the "balloon" floating around that was actually a rubber.

- 84 Clemson. Best start in the 1980's ended the next week. Barely got in, had to sit in the old bleachers on the track in the South Stands. Missed the Bama game that year so it cannot go in this thread.

- 85 Auburn. We almost beat Auburn until we got a "Bo"-job in the 4th.

Other than that '85 season it goes down hill fast. Too busy raising kids in the 90's & 00's to go. Been to a few recently to watch one of my kids march in the band.

How's that for a 1st post?

The '85 Awbarn game, yep Bo knows football. Was it Mark Pike he shook off on the late TD run? IRC Pike was a freshman and just drilled Bo and Bo said okay and...............................BYE!!!!!!!!!!!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I haven't lived in ATL since 1989 so don't get to as many games as I would like but my top 3 are:

The 1985 fog game: Ted Roof was so good in that game that Doc Walker would actually run out of names to describe him; If you weren't around at the time, there is no way I can communicate how far apart our programs were just 4 years prior. In 1980, GT was regarded as the worst team in the country - the worst program in the country and UGa won the only MNC they will ever win. In 1981, UGa beat us 44-7. They scored on the first play of the game and never looked back. Only a miracle pass by Pittsburgh's Dan Marino on 4th down from the UGa 28 with just seconds on the clock prevented UGa from winning consecutive MNCs. In 1982, UGa whooped us again and only Penn St. kept them from winning a 2nd MNC in 3 years. In 1983, the machine coach Bill Curry was building began to take shape. Our quarterback was - are you ready for this - a transfer from UGa: John Dewberry. His mission in life at that point was to beat UGa. He nearly did it. Late in the 4th quarter, we were down 27 to 24 - our ball on a potential game winning drive with an offensive line anchored by the best OL to put on a Tech Jersey since I've been watching GT football (Refrigeratormover). An underthrown pass that dropped into the arms of a UGa defender whose name I recall clearly but will not soil this thread with. Dewberry burned for 364 days. Until the anniversary of that date in 1984.

This post is dragging into tl;dr territory so I'll wrap it up. Our DC (Don Lindsey) had put together the best defense to represent GT in over three decades. UGa had a cerberus at running back - imagine 3 Todd Gurleys on the same team. Ted Roof shut. Them. Down. Gary Lee ran a kickoff back 1,000 miles or so it seemed. WTBS televised the game and because of where we came from and where UGa came from, it was the best GT win I witnessed in person.

My 2nd favorite game was the 1999 UGa game.

I don't have a third favorite - too many ties.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I haven't lived in ATL since 1989 so don't get to as many games as I would like but my top 3 are:

The 1985 fog game: Ted Roof was so good in that game that Doc Walker would actually run out of names to describe him; If you weren't around at the time, there is no way I can communicate how far apart our programs were just 4 years prior. In 1980, GT was regarded as the worst team in the country - the worst program in the country and UGa won the only MNC they will ever win. In 1981, UGa beat us 44-7. They scored on the first play of the game and never looked back. Only a miracle pass by Pittsburgh's Dan Marino on 4th down from the UGa 28 with just seconds on the clock prevented UGa from winning consecutive MNCs. In 1982, UGa whooped us again and only Penn St. kept them from winning a 2nd MNC in 3 years. In 1983, the machine coach Bill Curry was building began to take shape. Our quarterback was - are you ready for this - a transfer from UGa: John Dewberry. His mission in life at that point was to beat UGa. He nearly did it. Late in the 4th quarter, we were down 27 to 24 - our ball on a potential game winning drive with an offensive line anchored by the best OL to put on a Tech Jersey since I've been watching GT football (Refrigeratormover). An underthrown pass that dropped into the arms of a UGa defender whose name I recall clearly but will not soil this thread with. Dewberry burned for 364 days. Until the anniversary of that date in 1984.

This post is dragging into tl;dr territory so I'll wrap it up. Our DC (Don Lindsey) had put together the best defense to represent GT in over three decades. UGa had a cerberus at running back - imagine 3 Todd Gurleys on the same team. Ted Roof shut. Them. Down. Gary Lee ran a kickoff back 1,000 miles or so it seemed. WTBS televised the game and because of where we came from and where UGa came from, it was the best GT win I witnessed in person.

My 2nd favorite game was the 1999 UGa game.

I don't have a third favorite - too many ties.
Great story. Dewberry almost beat them 3 in a row.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Gosh we were so bad......tech was giving away tickets just to fill seats.I had utmost respect for Robert Lavett(hope I spelled that right) who ran into stacked lines time after time.What a warrior.We were just bad and like you said Dewberry was a great cog in the machine to get respectability for the program.Had good looking Unis but not much when it came to win and losses.

).

Animal02

Banned
Gosh we were so bad......tech was giving away tickets just to fill seats.I had utmost respect for Robert Lavett(hope I spelled that right) who ran into stacked lines time after time.What a warrior.We were just bad and like you said Dewberry was a great cog in the machine to get respectability for the program.Had good looking Unis but not much when it came to win and losses.

).

Yes we were.......I had little interest in following Tech football for a couple of years after escaping ('83)

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
The 35 - 18 game!!! I remember the Technique edition that came out the next week 35 - 18 was everywhere in it. Loved the "spoof" of the USA Today weather page that had the temperatures in every major city in the US showing a high of 35 with the low temperature of 18... a classic!

That was a funny issue, however I believe that it was the April Fools issue in 1985:

IMG_20140302_172131s.jpg

IMG_20140302_172024s.jpg

IMG_20140302_171913s.jpg

The April Fools issue of the "soused & libelous college newspaper" was always a favorite of mine. Every time I had a Tech student working with me - or now as my kid is there - I required that they get me the Freshman Issue, Hate Week issue and the April Fools issue.

Best line: "WEATHER: It will be quite humid near Sorority Row the early part of this week, more frigid conditions will prevail in the vicinity of the women's dormitory area."

Good times.

Note: yeah, I can be a packrat.