Top 5 GT Basketball Player All Time

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He has yet to be mentioned yet but I wanna toss Alvin Jones in here too. Everyone loves Big Ben, myself included. Just for a comparison, Ben had 254 career blocks, Jones had 425. He was a truly incredible defender and a treat to watch play.

also, shouts to Tony Akins, Lewis Clinch and Jeremis Smith.

Akins and Jones are often forgotten, but they were probably very important to the perception that Paul Hewitt could turn GT into a good program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get to see Yunkus/Price/Salley play in a GT uniform. The top 5 GT players for me since I started following GTBB are:

1. Kenny Anderson
2. James Forrest
3. Matt Harpring
4. Stephon Marbury
5. Travis Best/Jose Alvarado/Jarett Jack

#5 is really hard because those players were all pivotal and had moments of transcendence for our program. Didn't want to leave any of them out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get to see Yunkus/Price/Salley play in a GT uniform. The top 5 GT players for me since I started following GTBB are:

1. Kenny Anderson
2. James Forrest
3. Matt Harpring
4. Stephon Marbury
5. Travis Best/Jose Alvarado/Jarett Jack

#5 is really hard because those players were all pivotal and had moments of transcendence for our program. Didn't want to leave any of them out.
How can you leave Dennis Scott off this list?

To me, Hammonds goes on before Marbury if we're talking about at Tech.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Is this thread supposed to be about the top five Georgia Tech basketball players while they were Georgia Tech, or also include the pro leagues.
Be careful of your answer, because they are not 100% mutually inclusive.
I think it’s fun to discuss both :)

I’d nominate Anthony Morrow and Will Bynum as the Tech players who’s pro career exceeded expectations based on their performance at Tech. And they’re two of my favorite GT players ever. Honorable mention for Mario West, who started games in four different NBA seasons and played in 26 NBA playoff games.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Will Bynum’s multiple game winners in the 2004 NCAAT (and his overall game) puts him in a personal favorite category for me in the last 20 years. I feel like he doesn’t get talked about enough when you’re talking GT hoops legends.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You only saw 1 year of Stephon Marbury. You also got to see Scott single-handedly beat UNC and take this team to a Final Four (not just the Sweet 16).

LOL...I was in elementary school when I saw Dennis Scott play and was just learning about BBall. 1990 was the first year I followed GT sports (a blessing and a curse), so the following season I understood the game better and Anderson was back. Like I said, Scott is a great player, you're just trying to argue with my memory as an elementary kid. TBH, I didn't even know Scott averaged 27+ pts a game that season until I just looked it up.

Stephon Marbury came years later and my bball appreciation was much more mature by then.

These rankings are just opinions...no matter how flawed they may be. :)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
LOL...I was in elementary school when I saw Dennis Scott play and was just learning about BBall. 1990 was the first year I followed GT sports (a blessing and a curse), so the following season I understood the game better and Anderson was back. Like I said, Scott is a great player, you're just trying to argue with my memory as an elementary kid. TBH, I didn't even know Scott averaged 27+ pts a game that season until I just looked it up.

Stephon Marbury came years later and my bball appreciation was much more mature by then.

These rankings are just opinions...no matter how flawed they may be. :)
All good. Just repping for Dennis. We came in together and he was dynamic once he decided he was going to get into great shape and play hard.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All good. Just repping for Dennis. We came in together and he was dynamic once he decided he was going to get into great shape and play hard.

If I look at it objectively, I probably would replace Marbury with one of the 3 at my #5. Marbury had a fantastic season at GT, but it was a singular season compared to Best/Alvarado/Jack's multiple high level seasons.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
If we are listing the all-time 5 best players Yunkus has to be on that list. The teams he played on did not have 5 good players. He was triple teamed and still got points/rebounds. IIRC, he had back to back great nights against UNC and NCState for Tech wins. Also played against Dave Cowens, a longtime NBA player, and took his lunch money. If they has the 3 point shot and he played as a freshman, the career scoring and rebound records would be unbelievable.

Roger Kaiser also deserves to be mentioned.

There was good basketball before Cremins, just not at the level he achieved. The time between Whack Hyder and Cremins was bad. Hyder had the best record against Rupp of any other coach and that includes time in the SEC when we played them twice a year. I loved the early 60s team with Caldwell, Cradock, Nass, Tomasavich and whoever of the several other plyers that got plugged in to the off-guard slot. Lost the SEC championship to Miss State with Baily Howell, a longtome NBAer in a heart breaker.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I used to amuse myself with this very question for hours. 😊

My top five always includes Yunkus and Anderson, the two players I saw at Tech who could put the team on their back and carry them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Top 5 while I was an undergrad ('87-'93)
1. Tommy Hammonds
2. Dennis Scott
3. Kenny Anderson
4. James Forrest
5. Travis Best

Top 5 while I was in grad school ('95-'99)
1. Matt Harpring
2. James Forrest
3. Travis Best
4. Stephon Marbury
5. Alvin Jones

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ignored and undervalued players at Tech:

Sammy Drummer, a guard who could sky long before Michael Jordan. Was a Tar Heel killer on the court.

Brook Steppe, played like Alvarado back in the day. Remarkable scorer with no supporting cast.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
1. Tommy Hammonds
2. Dennis Scott
3. Kenny Anderson
4. James Forrest
5. Travis Best

1. Matt Harpring
2. James Forrest
3. Travis Best
4. Stephon Marbury
5. Alvin Jones
You spent 10 years of your life in college?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
1. Tommy Hammonds
2. Dennis Scott
3. Kenny Anderson
4. James Forrest
5. Travis Best

1. Matt Harpring
2. James Forrest
3. Travis Best
4. Stephon Marbury
5. Alvin Jones
Darn good list, love the time reference to make the choices.