Top 20 NFL draft picks

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Stars always have and always will Ben great indicators of talent but winning takes more than talent. I understand why people don't like the star ratings when you look at our rivals winning percentage but you're naive to not think the impact star rankings have on chances in the NFL

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
17 of the first 20 picks were rated 4 or 5 stars. Looks like the guys grading these kids out of high school are doing a little better than some want to give credit for.
Eh, it's easy to say who is a five star recruit, it's a bit more difficult to say who is a four star, but not that much more. I wanna see how they do with the rest of their star ratings the rest of the draft. I'm willing to bet it doesn't line up so well for them. It's equal to most casual fans being able to tell you who the top five teams in the country are in college football after a few weeks, but after that who knows who's the number 12 team or number 20. There's just a much larger sample size with recruits, so it's easy to see who the best 20-30 players are each year, hence the good correlation with the draft for the first round.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, according to this article there are about 300,000 senior football players per year. Of those around 30 are rated 5 starts and around 350 four star. That means, these "experts" need to pick the top .1267% of highschool players each year if you combine the 4 and 5 star recruits. It's .01% for five star recruits. I think most people and most definitely coaches can pick these players out, which is where these recruiting services mislead you in thinking they have some special ability to spot talent. Most football programs are going to want these elite players and most of these players know they have a good shot at the pros. This is why we have a harder time recruiting them, because they could come to tech and take calculus, or skate by with a fake degree at a Uga or Alabama.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Eh, it's easy to say who is a five star recruit, it's a bit more difficult to say who is a four star, but not that much more. I wanna see how they do with the rest of their star ratings the rest of the draft. I'm willing to bet it doesn't line up so well for them. It's equal to most casual fans being able to tell you who the top five teams in the country are in college football after a few weeks, but after that who knows who's the number 12 team or number 20. There's just a much larger sample size with recruits, so it's easy to see who the best 20-30 players are each year, hence the good correlation with the draft for the first round.
My point was a lot on here say the mean NOTHING at all and they are pretty much useless.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The great Satan in Tuscaloosa has had 9 more first round draft choices in the past 4-5 years that any other college team. When that man loses a game, it is COMPLETELY on him. He has an embarrassing amount of talent, so he for sure has the best 22, best 44, etc. in every game he coaches. Everyone of those 1st round draft choices from Bammer, I would bet, were 5 or 4 star guys.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Saban runs a try out system. Bring in a bunch of 4 and 5 * every year and run a bunch off if they don't meet the hype. The NCAA needs to really stop allowing that to keep happening. Even with normal attrition, 25 a year is well over the 85 limit and red shirts really get the totals beyond what should be acceptable.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
The great Satan in Tuscaloosa has had 9 more first round draft choices in the past 4-5 years that any other college team. When that man loses a game, it is COMPLETELY on him. He has an embarrassing amount of talent, so he for sure has the best 22, best 44, etc. in every game he coaches. Everyone of those 1st round draft choices from Bammer, I would bet, were 5 or 4 star guys.
Or are they drafted so highly because they played for Saban and he coaches them up?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Or are they drafted so highly because they played for Saban and he coaches them up?
It seems that part of "the process" is evaluation to weed out the verifiably unbig or unfast. For example, he brought JT to his tryout camp and timed him at ~4.3 then offered. The bama offer is one small reason I feel good about the athletic ability of Jay Jones and the Swillings.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It seems that part of "the process" is evaluation to weed out the verifiably unbig or unfast. For example, he brought JT to his tryout camp and timed him at ~4.3 then offered. The bama offer is one small reason I feel good about the athletic ability of Jay Jones and the Swillings.
Was Alabama recruiting the Swillings and Jay Jones?

My point is if they can't qualify and are getting a landscaping degree they would never get into tech it's none of your or my business what their academics are that's why we have a recruiting staff. I trust in the coaches and recruiters to identify those players that are academically capable for tech and which may be "stars" but couldn't get in.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
How many stars was Takkarist McKinley the Falcons 1st round pick?
I can't believe the Falcons got him, even with all the picks given up. This guy is another Randy White; his physical capacities are as far out in the end of the distribution as Shaq O'Neal's. Barring injury, there is no reason to worry about the Falcons pass rush for the foreseeable future.

And, no, I can't believe he was only a four star out of high school. I'd have given him six.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe the Falcons got him, even with all the picks given up. This guy is another Randy White; his physical capacities are as far out in the end of the distribution as Shaq O'Neal's. Barring injury, there is no reason to worry about the Falcons pass rush for the foreseeable future.

And, no, I can't believe he was only a four star out of high school. I'd have given him six.
He reminds me of former Philadelphia Eagles-Los Angeles Raiders LB Jerry Robinson. Very nice pick by the Falcons and i hope they draft an offensive lineman in the 2nd round.