Too Early PPDvsPwr5 Rankings

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, my points/drive stat is more susceptible to strength of schedule this early in the season, but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a go. For example, it's possible that Temple's games against Maryland and GT are not really representative of their strength against the Pwr5 generally.

This only counts teams who have played at least TWO Pwr5 teams. Later in the season, I will require that teams play against at least 3 pwr5 teams for their stat to be calculated. The Differential PPD stat is calculated by subtracting a team's Def PPDvsPw5 from its Off PPDvsPwr5.

So here are the rankings after week 6, compared to the AP and Coaches:
upload_2019-10-6_15-48-7.png

Currently, GT is ranked #77 (based on our games against CU and unc). UNC is ranked #31 and Duke #40.

GT's offense is #71 and defense is #73.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Obviously, my points/drive stat is more susceptible to strength of schedule this early in the season, but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a go. For example, it's possible that Temple's games against Maryland and GT are not really representative of their strength against the Pwr5 generally.

This only counts teams who have played at least TWO Pwr5 teams. Later in the season, I will require that teams play against at least 3 pwr5 teams for their stat to be calculated. The Differential PPD stat is calculated by subtracting a team's Def PPDvsPw5 from its Off PPDvsPwr5.

View attachment 6891

Currently, GT is ranked #77 (based on our games against CU and unc). UNC is ranked #31 and Duke #40.

With the requirement that a team have played 2 P5 opponents, how many teams are included in your ranking? We’re 71 and 73 out of how many?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We are 71 on Offense? Hardto belive but I guess playing the 4th qtr vs unc reserves did pad our stats.NO way, we really have even the 71 best Off in the US.

It also was largely responsible for the HUGE # of yds unc put on our DEf by not controlling/eating up clock--- so our DEF was exhausted..

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
With the requirement that a team have played 2 P5 opponents, how many teams are included in your ranking? We’re 71 and 73 out of how many?

We are 71 on Offense? Hardto belive but I guess playing the 4th qtr vs unc reserves did pad our stats.NO way, we really have even the 71 best Off in the US.

It also was largely responsible for the HUGE # of yds unc put on our DEf by not controlling/eating up clock--- so our DEF was exhausted..

Good Question/Observation.

I use the raw stats from against FBS Pwr5 opponents from cfbstats.com.

As of yesterday's games, 92 FBS teams have played at least 2 Pwr5 opponents. So, those rankings are from 92 teams.

Jmonty71

Banned

View attachment 6891

#71 on offense? Obviously points gained during garbage time matters... Would be curious to see where we rank first half wise.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
#71 on offense? Obviously points gained during garbage time matters... Would be curious to see where we rank first half wise.
I think you have to include both halves. Otherwise you're discounting teams who come back and win, or almost win, which should count towards offensive production.

I do agree garbage points are missleading however, and 71 sounds better, but it is out of 92 teams, which hits home how bad we are really are on offense. This also spills over to defense because all the 3 and outs and up tempo completely gas the D.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

UNC was still playing their starters in the 4th, quit trying to crap on Tech.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get why #71 is unbelievable to yall we have put up decent yards every game just haven’t been able to score or sustain long drives. There have been big passing plays and good runs.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get why #71 is unbelievable to yall we have put up decent yards every game just haven’t been able to score or sustain long drives. There have been big passing plays and good runs.
It's 71 out of the 92 teams that qualify. So it's not 71st offense in the country.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

The deep strike TD from JG to AB in the 4th Q was against #13 (STARTER), who by the way should have been EJECTED by that point for his targeting hit on JG earlier in the game. That call still pisses me off because it could have easily resulted in a concussion. JG had slid halfway to the ground when 13 lowered his helmet and drove it directly into JG's helmet. If that's not targeting a defenseless player, I don't know what is.