Tony Elliott

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of us were on Tony’s bandwagon during the coaching search. It will be interesting how popular he will be if he doesn’t turn this around with his current 5 star QB.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Lay lay has not shown to be your typical 5 star an in either or his two games this year and I don’t think it’s elliots fault. How did he look in his starts last year?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget Rodgers in the slot. He had approximately 1 million yards against us last year.

Tony joins Coach Boom and Chris Hatcher in the “ fan favorite we are very lucky we didn’t hire” category.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have always maintained that he needs to leave Clemson and take a lateral move if he wants to move up. His ability to show out as a coach needs to be proven elsewhere. As I said somewhere else, he was a great coach with TL and Etienne. But most of those guys would be. Go to Rutgers or South Carolina or the like or step down and take a HC job at Bowling Green. Staying comfortable at a a cushy job at Clemsun is not the way to demonstrate that you are P5 HC material imo. Because of this, I did not consider him as a real candidate for our job.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Thus if you are a college HC hang your success on great defense, great special teams, great recruiting, especially in the trenches, great running game and not on a QB. To much can go wrong in the QB dept and it is only one guy. It's great when you can have a good QB to go along with the other. Just my opinion and I been wrong before.

slugboy

Staff member
DJ Uiagalelei is next to last in QBR in the ACC, ahead of just Mackenzie Milton at FSU.
There’s regression from Lawrence and then there’s this. Maybe Elliot deserves some blame, too, because Uiagalelei isn’t able to run the plays Lawrence did.
His line and skill players are good enough to avoid this kind of drop off.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
DJ Uiagalelei is next to last in QBR in the ACC, ahead of just Mackenzie Milton at FSU.
There’s regression from Lawrence and then there’s this. Maybe Elliot deserves some blame, too, because Uiagalelei isn’t able to run the plays Lawrence did.
His line and skill players are good enough to avoid this kind of drop off.

when you look at Ohio State and Clemson this year, it makes what Saban has done even more impressive (if that's possible). The announcers during the 2 hour halftime Saturday even spoke to this point. Based on what Saban has done, people think the factories simply plug and play. Bama does. But no one else.

slugboy

Staff member
Clemson has 5 QBs on the roster. DJ is a 5*, they have a 4*, and the rest are 3*. Somewhere in there they should have a middle of the ACC QB or better, even if it means adjusting the playbook.

If they want a run at the playoffs, I don’t think the conference schedule gets them there without blowout wins.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
when you look at Ohio State and Clemson this year, it makes what Saban has done even more impressive (if that's possible). The announcers during the 2 hour halftime Saturday even spoke to this point. Based on what Saban has done, people think the factories simply plug and play. Bama does. But no one else.
And OU and ND have struggled this year. And FSU / Miami is still a head shaker.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson fans are already calling for at least 3 asst coaching changes (all on the offensive side - OC, OL, WR) and TE is one of them. They feel he is by far the worst OC they have had under Dabo.

FWIW, they are also starting to tire of the Dabo sunshine routine.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t hate Dabo, but he comes across as a massive douch on the sidelines during games at times, he came unglued at the end of the game when the refs called the safety

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Some credit should go to Thacker for totally confusing them. As Dabo said, they didn't practice for anything we did. UGAg blitzed them from all over the field in game 1, and I'm sure they thought we'd watch that film, see how Uiagalelei struggled, and do some of the same trying to force him to get the ball out fast. Instead, we did the 180 degree opposite, went with a 3 man front and dropped 8 into his passing lanes, which equally screwed with him. This is why he was sailing passes. On one 3rd down where he overthrew the receiver, Eley was standing directly in the passing lane. Not so that he could jump up and tip or intercept it, but just him being there made the QB crank up and throw it a little high.

Elliott adjusted in the 2ne half by trying to go run heavy at the small 3 man front, which worked on a couple drives, one ending in a score and the other in a fumble deep in our territory.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Even Alabama has taken a noticeable step back from last year. The game against UF shouldn't have been close. If they don't figure out their defensive issues then there is a considerable risk that an A&M or an Auburn knock them off this year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don’t hate Dabo, but he comes across as a massive douch on the sidelines during games at times, he came unglued at the end of the game when the refs called the safety
I thought more telling was late in the game when Venablers had collected his defense around him and in order to be herd over the crowd he was shouting his instructions. Instantly Swinney came up from the back shouting his own instructions to the same group. I have never seen him do something like that and maybe it occurred to him that Clemson could easily lose the game. Whatever, he looked like a train wreck when the game was over.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm a Geoff Collins fan, but I'm still not sold on Patenaude. If Elliot gets fired by Clemson, and is willing to be OC here for less than $1M/year, we need to do everything in our power to make that happen.
I am going to repeat what I have said before ....which Tony Elliot? The one with TL and ETN? Or the one who didn't score against Uga and put up 14 against GT with a roster full of blue chippers?