Tony Elliott

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Who said the guy is a failure? No need to build a straw man for your argument.

He has a 5* QB, 5* RB, 5 .96+ WRs at his skill positions and is averaging 8.5 ppg against P5 competition. That’s objectively horrendous. I said if that continues into next year he could be in trouble.
Well, one of those P5 defenses is pretty damn good. uga ain't too bad either.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Even Alabama has taken a noticeable step back from last year. The game against UF shouldn't have been close. If they don't figure out their defensive issues then there is a considerable risk that an A&M or an Auburn knock them off this year.
Alabama will run A&M out of the stadium. This is not Jimbo’s year. O line has issues that will bit them.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible that a player who threw for over 400 against Notre Dame the previous year got his mechanics all out of whack in the first game because UGAg was in his jock strap from the time of the snap? Game 2, the whole Clemson team probably showed up hungover and still won 48-3. Doubt practice was very productive that week, anyway. And in game 3, we threw a defense at him he was completely unprepared for by the coaching staff. Clemson's QB and offense will be fine, better than most of the conference.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Is it possible that a player who threw for over 400 against Notre Dame the previous year got his mechanics all out of whack in the first game because UGAg was in his jock strap from the time of the snap? Game 2, the whole Clemson team probably showed up hungover and still won 48-3. Doubt practice was very productive that week, anyway. And in game 3, we threw a defense at him he was completely unprepared for by the coaching staff. Clemson's QB and offense will be fine, better than most of the conference.
I think even the casual football fan, like me, can see that his mechanics are messed up. The curse of a cannon for an arm is knowing you can stand flat-footed and not stride into the throw and still sling it 60 yards. He got away with it for years but no more. I think they will fix it but until they do that defense had better stand up.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
We might be in agreement (perhaps). We tend to think these guys are geniuses and can X and O there way around glaring roster weaknesses but their is a bell curve at work here. The Ralph Friedgens are about as common in the world of FB as guys who have won more than three majors are on the pro golf tour. Churning coaches in the effort to "luck into" one of these guys is a fool's errand.

I am not saying Elliot is a bad coach. But I think there are at least several hundred coaches who could and would "show out" with a TL and ETN. I believe CDP or the OC at Kentucky or Maine or Delaware or Valdosta State or Stony Brook could and would look like a savant with Clemson's starting lineup last year. The theory of the game is not that complex.
TL would be largely neutralized by our OL and Gibbs ain't that far from ETN. The OC at UK is looking at least ok.