Tomahawk Nation 9/8

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Was listening to this blog yesterday. They sound like they expect to be playing their scrubs by the 3rd quarter. A couple of guys expect a blowout for them. They seem to think they are WAAAY ahead of where they were last year. No question they have better athletes at some positions, but I am expecting us to play well and cover the spread, at least. We will know a lot more by later Saturday afternoon.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Was listening to this blog yesterday. They sound like they expect to be playing their scrubs by the 3rd quarter. A couple of guys expect a blowout for them. They seem to think they are WAAAY ahead of where they were last year. No question they have better athletes at some positions, but I am expecting us to play well and cover the spread, at least. We will know a lot more by later Saturday afternoon.
Didn't their offense score 0 points in their scrimmage game? Hard to have a blowout when you can't score LMAO.

Deleted member 2897

Everything they hear is that we’re the worst football team in the country - maybe possibly ever. Given the money they spend (almost as much as Clemson) and the amount of talent they have, they should be expecting a 55-10 type of game based on what people are telling them.

slugboy

Staff member
As of last year, FSU (15) had the biggest overall budget/revenue in the ACC, not counting Notre Dame (8). Clemson was #25, and #2 in the ACC. Clemson does fund football with a heavier share than schools like FSU. Pound for pound, Clemson is a juggernaut--their 2020 enrollment is 26k. FSU has 41k. UNC has 30k. Tech has 20k full time students, and swells to ~30k if you count part time.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Florida State has not been a good football team for several years. You do not flip a switch and make that change overnight. Of course we have been just as subpar. So I could see a low scoring contest filled with mistakes, penalties and turnovers. That gives us a fighting chance and we can only hope our guys can capitalize on the opportunity in front of them. I just want to see our team play with some fire and discipline. If we do, I think we will win.

Go Jackets!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Florida State has not been a good football team for several years. You do not flip a switch and make that change overnight. Of course we have been just as subpar. So I could see a low scoring contest filled with mistakes, penalties and turnovers. That gives us a fighting chance and we can only hope our guys can capitalize on the opportunity in front of them. I just want to see our team play with some fire and discipline. If we do, I think we will win.

Go Jackets!

This my line of thinking. 18-21 over 3yrs and with a new O & D scheme with no Spring practices, yet they think they a far superior team. It can’t be a transition period for one team and a smooth transition for another. If we limit mistakes and move the chains i like our chances

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This my line of thinking. 18-21 over 3yrs and with a new O & D scheme with no Spring practices, yet they think they a far superior team. It can’t be a transition period for one team and a smooth transition for another. If we limit mistakes and move the chains i like our chances
I think our DL has a good game and will be a big part of how we can win. They are a little undersized and starting two redshirt freshman and another sophomore. Should be a low scoring game imo.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

In essence, you have two rebuilding teams using new P5 HCs with only 2-3 years HC experience at the G5 level. Norvel was 38-15 at Memphis and CGC was 15-10 at Temple. Obviously we like our choice of HC, but it's, on paper, at least a wash. While CGC had a huge transition here, Norvell faced a cancerous situation at FSU. In my mind, the two teams are alike in a lot of ways, but in the end, it comes down to talent and depth. On O, I think we match or exceed them talent-wise at every position, though the overall lack of experience at QB for us is in their favor. Depth wise, mainly on the OL, we aren't there yet and it will be a couple of years before we build and develop to that level.

On D, I think they match or exceed us talent wise at most positions and definitely have more depth. I like our trajectory here, and feel as if CGC and Thacker are the better coaches on that side of the ball, but there is a lot of NFL talent on the FSU D.

In the end, I think this game comes down to depth. I think we will keep it close for a quarter or two and then our lack of depth will show up. As you said though, the biggest equalizer in this game is that they may be as dysfunctional this year as we were last year, and with discipline issues, that could be the tipping point in our favor.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
In essence, you have two rebuilding teams using new P5 HCs with only 2-3 years HC experience at the G5 level. Norvel was 38-15 at Memphis and CGC was 15-10 at Temple. Obviously we like our choice of HC, but it's, on paper, at least a wash. While CGC had a huge transition here, Norvell faced a cancerous situation at FSU. In my mind, the two teams are alike in a lot of ways, but in the end, it comes down to talent and depth. On O, I think we match or exceed them talent-wise at every position, though the overall lack of experience at QB for us is in their favor. Depth wise, mainly on the OL, we aren't there yet and it will be a couple of years before we build and develop to that level.

On D, I think they match or exceed us talent wise at most positions and definitely have more depth. I like our trajectory here, and feel as if CGC and Thacker are the better coaches on that side of the ball, but there is a lot of NFL talent on the FSU D.

In the end, I think this game comes down to depth. I think we will keep it close for a quarter or two and then our lack of depth will show up. As you said though, the biggest equalizer in this game is that they may be as dysfunctional this year as we were last year, and with discipline issues, that could be the tipping point in our favor.

Solid post.

I think FSU depth is not what you may think it is

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Solid post.

I think FSU depth is not what you may think it is

Possibly. I confess I don't follow FSU nearly as close as I follow GT. :ROFLMAO:

That being said, I know what our depth isn't, and that's the biggest weakness I see on this team this year. Given another couple of recruiting classes and I think CGC can have us competitive with anyone on our schedule.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The noles OL was as bad as ours last year. They have 2 R-Fr starters and 2 true Fr in the 2 deep coming into our game. Surprisingly we are in better shape there.

The DL is a much different story, though, and they are huge up the middle. A few senior starters in the LB spots, but depth there is young and the secondary is quite young.

On offense, their scheme seems to be what I had wanted to see from us last year. They tend to use a TE / H-back to give them the ability to run more traditional gap blocking schemes in the run game, but they also do more typical zone spread plays, pin & pull. The pass game seems to have a lot of RPO and isn't trying to make things very complicated. But they are trying to set it up where they put their best athletes in space and use their run game and screen game to create opportunities for receivers/tight ends to get past guys. They've got some really athletic WR who could house it if we get fooled on a double move. Blackman has worked a lot on his fundamentals, footwork, follow-through and could be a lot more effective if he's consistent with those things even if his ability to create in the passing game as things break down or to make more complicated reads and checks hasn't improved.

But they are a new staff taking over a dysfunctional (though very athletic team) with limited time to do the install. Things could definitely end up working out badly for them.

On D, we need to be able to maintain our leverage on the line, not let guys get past us on double moves or pick up easy chunks of yardage in the flats, and we need to wrap up some pretty darn good athletes at the point of contact. Those aren't easy things, and those are the kinds of things we struggled with mightily last year, but we do have a lot of experience in the guys who are going to need to contain their skill players and make the tackles. I don't think their OL will be able to move our DL around like we had issues with last year.

Their defensive personality is going to be aggressive. Like us, they don't want to let offenses get a rhythm going. They are going to try and disrupt on first and second down. Their personnel on the DL though would allow them to stick with rushing 4 most of the time if they want to. It'll be interesting. Hopefully we can loosen them up on early downs and get Mason and Gibbs opportunities to work in the second level. Blitzing to cover up gaps in the run game can shut it down and create negative plays, but when you get by those guys there may be some explosive opportunities. We may also be able to get some free shots downfield by using personnel flexibility. Need to stay out of the negative plays and play decisively.