Tokyo Olympics

slugboy

Staff member
The triathlon started badly

And it’s finishing badly

But Kristian Blummenfelt (NOR) won impressively. He was 27th in the swim, 3rd by the end of the bike, and ran the blazing fast overall to finish first. The british runner trailed by 11 seconds.
1500m swim + 40k bike + 10k run.

Deleted member 2897

I find myself very interested in all kinds of random things I never would be, such as:
1) The women's fencing gold medal match (US won).
2) Women's road cycling (breakaway lady without a team won - the pack didn't realize she was still out ahead LOL)
3) US vs Japan water polo (stopped watching when we were up 22-4. I have no idea why Japan left their incompetent goalie in there.)

If there's any sport I would/could never do, it would be water polo. That's like a death sentence.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My daughter does gymnastics. Last May/June she worked out in the same gym that Brody Malone worked out in. He is from Georgia and Stanford was closed, so he had to come home.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I find myself very interested in all kinds of random things I never would be, such as:
1) The women's fencing gold medal match (US won).
2) Women's road cycling (breakaway lady without a team won - the pack didn't realize she was still out ahead LOL)
3) US vs Japan water polo (stopped watching when we were up 22-4. I have no idea why Japan left their incompetent goalie in there.)

If there's any sport I would/could never do, it would be water polo. That's like a death sentence.
And the Austrian cyclist that you note in #2 has a Ph.D. in Mathematics from The University of Cambridge. So, yeah...

slugboy

Staff member
I’m the guy who’ll watch track and swimming events. There are better places to watch Soccer and Basketball, but the Olympics are one of the best places to watch other events I played when I was younger.
The funny thing about track and swimming, is you just don’t have meets anymore (unless you count road races) when you get older, but you can still do the sport on your own or with friends.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m the guy who’ll watch track and swimming events. There are better places to watch Soccer and Basketball, but the Olympics are one of the best places to watch other events I played when I was younger.
The funny thing about track and swimming, is you just don’t have meets anymore (unless you count road races) when you get older, but you can still do the sport on your own or with friends.
Yeah, track and field are my favorite. I have a friend who was on the gymnastics team at Temple years ago, so he watches all of that. My wife will only watch women’s gymnastics.

Talk about random sports, table tennis fascinates me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it’s been a strange Olympics beginning with only 22% of the Japanese population wanting the games to be held. Several athletes have talked about how stressful it has been to be isolated and not be able to blow off steam by getting out, meeting other athletes or sightseeing. Lack of crowds in venues has played mental tricks on some athletes too.

To be honest it feels like a replay of last year’s college football season.

But I will keep recording and watching (actually more than I watched football last season).

Deleted member 2897

Some of the big named sports feel very anti-climactic to me. How on earth does an NBA all-star team lose to France? US women's soccer has only won 1 out of 3 games, and would have lost a 4th had the Netherlands' goal just now not have been called back (it hit the bar twice and then was tapped in, but they were called offsides on the putback). How the hell does the team who was once the greatest on earth have trouble beating literally almost anybody?

The smaller stuff I find intriguing - hell, I even watched women's BMX racing yesterday, LOL. I guess I like the underdogs and the underrepresented sports and not the big name people who seem more in it for themselves.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not watching but am extremely interested in one race - the 400m hurdles between Benjamin and Warholm. Does anyone know when that event is scheduled??

Deleted member 2897

Some of the big named sports feel very anti-climactic to me. How on earth does an NBA all-star team lose to France? US women's soccer has only won 1 out of 3 games, and would have lost a 4th had the Netherlands' goal just now not have been called back (it hit the bar twice and then was tapped in, but they were called offsides on the putback). How the hell does the team who was once the greatest on earth have trouble beating literally almost anybody?

The smaller stuff I find intriguing - hell, I even watched women's BMX racing yesterday, LOL. I guess I like the underdogs and the underrepresented sports and not the big name people who seem more in it for themselves.

Fascinating. The US Women's team wins 1 of their first 3 games. Today was a must win and ties the Netherlands in regulation and through double overtime. So they beat 1 out of 4 teams in regulation. They win on penalty kicks and now advance into the semifinals. That to me is totally crazy - basically 1 win on the field out of 4 games and that gets them into the final 4 in the Olympics, LOL. Doesn't even seem possible.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

From what I read, the US had 2 goals negated due to offsides against the Netherlands late in the game. Had 3 or more of them earlier in the tournament as well, if I recall correctly. Sometimes the offsides calls are obvious. Other times, they're judgement calls. To win a quarterfinal game on penalty kicks with 2 goals negated is a testament to the players resolve.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Olympic athletes, not just from the US, but from all over the world, have been training for this moment for a majority of their lives. I watch the Olympics, and will continue to watch, because this is the pinnacle of most of these athletes lives. Some may go on to professional sports, but most will move on to other careers. LFG USA!