together we swarm

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One big problem with the cheap seats is that every other year we play Georgia in Atlanta. The game this past year was a 'takeover' by UGA fans, especially in the North End Zone (it was a sea of red). They also permeated the other sections. At the Varsity parking lot it looked like Athens with all the red and black tailgaters. They were dominating our house, It was embarrassing. Georgia Tech marketing has abdicated to UGA and we've got to start fighting back and do everything we can to get GT in peoples faces. They need to loosen up their licensing of logos and start putting their product in every marketplace niche possible. Now having vented my frustration about last year, I like the ticket offers and am going to upgrade and I'm looking forward to the 2014 season. We have fun when we go, even if the outcome is not good.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
One big problem with the cheap seats is that every other year we play Georgia in Atlanta. The game this past year was a 'takeover' by UGA fans, especially in the North End Zone (it was a sea of red). They also permeated the other sections. At the Varsity parking lot it looked like Athens with all the red and black tailgaters. They were dominating our house, It was embarrassing. Georgia Tech marketing has abdicated to UGA and we've got to start fighting back and do everything we can to get GT in peoples faces. They need to loosen up their licensing of logos and start putting their product in every marketplace niche possible. Now having vented my frustration about last year, I like the ticket offers and am going to upgrade and I'm looking forward to the 2014 season. We have fun when we go, even if the outcome is not good.

yes, yes and yes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If I was GTAA, I'd market big time to the local Atlanta populous. Give a special rate to those who live within a certain radius of the stadium and designate a certain section of the stadium as "local flavor" or some catchy name for them to sit in with their special discount.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
This past year was the 1st UGAg game I had attended since the 80's. Sat in the upper North - I thought that we were in Athens. Oh, the whining - at least until the end of the second quarter! Could not really see the West stands from 110 but the East stands looked like the CL seats were inhabited by Tech fans, the rest- no so much. Heck, the west side of the student section of the South stands was nearly empty.

Here it was - the "biggest" home game in terms of tradition for GT and red & black was everywhere. Certainly not something that would impress a recruit.

I wonder what % of Season Tickets/packages are sold to UGAg fans each odd year just for that one game with the rest of the tickets for that seat going to Stubhub.

I remember some games back in the middle 80's against SEC opponents that seemed like away games for Tech because of all the visitor fans. Maybe the UGAg games were like that back then too. Then we made the stadium smaller in 1985. I guess that the 1990 NC started the call to enlarge the seating at Grant Field. It is nice to have the seats when we need them but wow does it look bad when we don't.

When my youngest kid started at the Institute and march in the band I was drawn back to the Flats for the first time in 20+ years. I have bought tickets from the GTAA and from Stubhub. It kills me that the GTAA wants their "face value" for games like Elon, A A&M, Presbyterian when the seat next to it is 50% less - and unsold - on Stubhub. Wouldn't selling more tickets for less $ for games like these bring in more butts? Butts that should be Tech supporters as generally only local people would be attending? It would bring in a little more revenue, possibly hook a fan and would not cost the GTAA more as all the costs with providing the game are fixed.

Looking at actually buying some season tickets this year - cheap ones. Once this last kid gets out in a few years I should have more spending money - the increase in tuition/housing/book prices has been unbelievable. I hope I don't jinx us.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ClydeBrick, I hear you. I didn't get drawn back in till my daughter went a few years ago. I bought great season tickets and gave a $1000 donation on top of the face value. I did it for GTAA and not for the entertainment value.

This year, I'll do StubHub or just scalp before a game or two that we go to. Getting tickets is never a problem. But don't worry, Bobinski says we are on the right track .... http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/67940/georgia-tech-ad-paul-johnson-right-man-for-the-job -- {:sarcasm}. He has gone from trying to appease pissed off ticket holders http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/mike-bobinski-addresses-state-of-georgia-tech-foot/ncn2R/ to shilling for how great we'll be this year.

My wife and I will continue to support the Alumni Association, but not Athletic Association.