Todd Stansbury counting on more football wins this season... How many...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree that we were/are in a tough financial spot. The blame for that falls on TStan giving CGC, an unproven P-5 head coaching candidate, a 7 year deal.

I think our financial situation is due to many (and more egregious) errors on the part of TStan's predessecors (sp?). I don't think he stepped into a good situation. And, to his credit, I would imagine he was aware of the challenges before him although no one could have foreseen the NIL/portal mess.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our financial situation is due to many (and more egregious) errors on the part of TStan's predessecors (sp?). I don't think he stepped into a good situation. And, to his credit, I would imagine he was aware of the challenges before him although no one could have foreseen the NIL/portal mess.
This. I know we all focus on the on-field results - as well we should. But one also needs to consider the realities of being an AD - it's not just about hiring a couch and getting him to win. It's about juggling, or shifting a ton of Tetris pieces around to get the best possible fit and achieve the goal of keeping the game going for all sports. I think TStan has done a good job of that - although I'll be the first to say football hasn't lived up to expectations.

None of us knows for sure what the options were truly like during the football coaching search 3 years ago. It could be the 7-year contract was the best deal that was on the table, and TStan took the least-bad offer. I'm sufficiently whelmed by the overall results - but one bad hire, no matter how big a role it is, is worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If Collins has another poor year this year then he will likely be the worst head coach we have ever had in the history of the program. Im not sure why we would want the guy who hired the worst coach in the history of the program to hire another coach. Thats just my feeling.
I hate to be the guy who says “but this is different,” but darned if it isn’t different. We brought CGC to be a recruiter and a seller and most importantly, a closer. We all wanted better Saturday results but we (the program) doubled down on jimmies and Joe’s, not Xs andOs. Recruiting was the emphasis and in terms of selling a vision within this program, he did it and did well. I full well respect the debate of recruiting vs coaching but I think we all agree we erred to the recruiting side with this hire and hoped for the best otherwise. Regardless, he recruited well and then the recruiting game was turned upside down by the portal and NIL. The primary thing we hired him for was upended almost as quickly as he got started. The game changed. I don’t know if we’d be better off if NIL and the portal didn’t happen but it sure feels to me that we made a decision based heavily on parameters that changed overnight.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate to be the guy who says “but this is different,” but darned if it isn’t different. We brought CGC to be a recruiter and a seller and most importantly, a closer. We all wanted better Saturday results but we (the program) doubled down on jimmies and Joe’s, not Xs andOs. Recruiting was the emphasis and in terms of selling a vision within this program, he did it and did well. I full well respect the debate of recruiting vs coaching but I think we all agree we erred to the recruiting side with this hire and hoped for the best otherwise. Regardless, he recruited well and then the recruiting game was turned upside down by the portal and NIL. The primary thing we hired him for was upended almost as quickly as he got started. The game changed. I don’t know if we’d be better off if NIL and the portal didn’t happen but it sure feels to me that we made a decision based heavily on parameters that changed overnight.
I agree with this. If recruiting is now suspect based on NIL (and on field performance), I think we need to find a coach who can actually coach up his players and make them outperform their star ratings. Obviously Paul Johnson did that. By no means am I saying we should go back to a 3O, just making the observation that coaching skills of both the head coach and the staff need to be a key priority if recruiting in today's world will keep us more in the 40 to 50 range and below a lot of our opponents. Maybe our major turnover in staff will prove to have more coaching skills than our past staff. If not, we need a fresh start. In terms of TS being able to hire that type of coach, I am concerned. But he has done well in other areas so I don't think it is automatic he is gone if Collins gets fired.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Article required a subscription. Bottom line, did anyone get a feel for what ADST would call a successful season? What are the metrics? How will he judge?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Article required a subscription. Bottom line, did anyone get a feel for what ADST would call a successful season? What are the metrics? How will he judge?

this is why there are so many millionaires in the alumni ranks... all are tightwads who have our first earned nickel and want to get information that might cost $.50 for free. Can you imagine being an AD trying to get donations from this group? ;)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Didn't put a number of wins out there, but said more wins are required. Political speak, but I get it. Win 5 decently and get bad breaks in the others (injuries to key players at one time, int or fumble on game winning drive, missed chip shot fg by a kicker who is making 80%+ etc) I think he survives. Getting a bowl and winning guarantees CGC is back, which will somehow pissed off a large portion of our fanbase. Im not sure if mid season firing is a good way to go, but another poor showing and he's fired on the bus ride back to ATL after CoFH.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Several boosters said that the funds were there. I don’t remember TStan saying that.
The big boosters have said that TStan hitched his wagon to Collins, and that’s probably the important point.
I don't remember actually seeing a quote from any booster who said that he knew the funds were available. There was an AJC article that paraphrased an anonymous source with "inside information", that said the funds were available. After that, there were articles that referenced that AJC article. And then there was a booster who didn't relate information known to them, but referenced the AJC article. It is amazing to me that one paraphrased statement from one anonymous source can become widely accepted as absolutely true. Especially when the paraphrased anonymous statement is relayed by a reporter who doesn't always get the facts precisely correct. Not trying to bash Ken, but he does often get exact stats, exact quotes, etc. wrong. His human side reporting is much much better than his factual reporting.

On the second point, there was a direct quote from a large booster that TStan had attached himself to CGC in the boosters minds. I think TStan has done an excellent job as an administrator and would hate to see him leave regardless of what the football program does this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Didn't put a number of wins out there, but said more wins are required. Political speak, but I get it. Win 5 decently and get bad breaks in the others (injuries to key players at one time, int or fumble on game winning drive, missed chip shot fg by a kicker who is making 80%+ etc) I think he survives. Getting a bowl and winning guarantees CGC is back, which will somehow pissed off a large portion of our fanbase. Im not sure if mid season firing is a good way to go, but another poor showing and he's fired on the bus ride back to ATL after CoFH.

Fair summary in that no "number" was given. But, more wins and better looking in game results will be a BIG part of the decision.
Getting beat by WCU or boat raced by Duke will NOT be a good look and most likely be used as the finishing nails on the coffin.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Any updates on what season ticket sales looked like for this year? They should be completed by now. I am sure I am not the only one who couldn't justify the expense any longer.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Getting beat by WCU or boat raced by Duke will NOT be a good look and most likely be used as the finishing nails on the coffin.
You’re right in the sense that there is no excuse for that but I also think those two games are going to be irrelevant and I don’t point to either of them as a measuring stick one way or another. I think we’ll win them but the reaction is “so what?”
Our bye week is dead center of the season and 5 of our last 6 games are against talented but relatively average teams. Unfortunately we are going on the road for three of those five. A couple of these teams could be really good but all of them could also be really average. What we do in those five games is a far greater indicator of who we are and where we’re headed in my opinion. Win 2 or three and play well and we may have something working. Limp along with 1 or zero wins in that stretch and it’s pretty obvious this thing is broken.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Just because Collins had an approach of heavier on recruiting doesn't mean he is excused from terrible on the field results nor is the man who hired him. NIL and the one time transfer rule didn't exist until mid last year. They had no impact on the results we have seen so far.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ultimately, an AD at a P5 school will be judged by how the $$ sports are doing. That is football and men's basketball. Yes, we got hot with some experienced players and won an ACC tourney title, but other than that, the men's program is not getting it done. The football program is a laughingstock through 3 years of CGC's leadership. So, for me, ADTS is not getting it done. I do understand what others are saying about the extreme difficulty of seeking funds from a very small group of $$ people, and I also understand that engineers, in general, tend to be "tight" as our moderator mentioned. But, all of this is baked into the position, and you have to know it coming in. I am afraid we are going to have to go to the bargain basement for the next HC of football and probably BB as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
IMO GC underestimated the competition he would be facing and thought all he needed was better recruiting. A lot of coaches would not consider a program with our academics and schedule with 2 built in top 10 teams every year + ND thrown in at times.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Just because Collins had an approach of heavier on recruiting doesn't mean he is excused from terrible on the field results nor is the man who hired him. NIL and the one time transfer rule didn't exist until mid last year. They had no impact on the results we have seen so far.
No objection there. My point is that we went “all in” for recruiting right before the whole dang recruiting game got nuked. Extraordinarily unfortunate timing for us in particular, and to your point, now we desperately need Xs and Os. Recent Xs and Os results haven’t been encouraging but maybe we have a little offensive innovation coming that will allow us to feature a little more of the defensive “mayhem” we were hoping to see. For better or for worse, this feels like the year that something has to happen.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You’re right in the sense that there is no excuse for that but I also think those two games are going to be irrelevant and I don’t point to either of them as a measuring stick one way or another. I think we’ll win them but the reaction is “so what?”
Our bye week is dead center of the season and 5 of our last 6 games are against talented but relatively average teams. Unfortunately we are going on the road for three of those five. A couple of these teams could be really good but all of them could also be really average. What we do in those five games is a far greater indicator of who we are and where we’re headed in my opinion. Win 2 or three and play well and we may have something working. Limp along with 1 or zero wins in that stretch and it’s pretty obvious this thing is broken.
I was just stating that if we lose against WCU and Duke, it ain't goin' to be pretty.