Todd Stansbury counting on more football wins this season... How many...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TS must have put a muzzle on his FB coach. Hardly hear anything out of him like we did first couple of years. Not sure what he's selling these days. So far 2023 is zero commits but maybe he plans on hitting the portal even harder next year if he is still around. This is only my observation. I am not knocking him. Things will take care of themselves this year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
TS must have put a muzzle on his FB coach. Hardly hear anything out of him like we did first couple of years. Not sure what he's selling these days. So far 2023 is zero commits but maybe he plans on hitting the portal even harder next year if he is still around. This is only my observation. I am not knocking him. Things will take care of themselves this year.

I’m pretty sure the sure the fans did that

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
If he wins 6+ his recruiting will get on track as a big plus...now all are wait and see...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think he is going after more transfer portal guys this year. High School player recruiting seems off. I hope Stansbury / Collins know what they are doing.
I'm past hoping they know what they're doing. All my hopes are on Old Lady Luck.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Why do yall insist on firing the 2nd best AD we've ever had? Record fund raising, even during the pandemic. Non revenue sports improved. ACC champs in multiple sports. His one down point is the football team, which we seen has issues we can control and issues we can't.
Because football is the bellwether of an athletic department that isn't Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. And right now, football sucks.
Fortner was a big get for women's hoops. But men's hoops took a giant step back this year. The non rev sports have been solid to decent anyway for the most part, regardless of AD. And he just gave Danny Hall an extension for a program that, frankly, really has kind of underachieved the last decade or so.
But TStan has tied his fortunes to Collins ("he's my guy"), so if Collins continues to flail about, he will drag Stansbury down with him.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Because football is the bellwether of an athletic department that isn't Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. And right now, football sucks.
Fortner was a big get for women's hoops. But men's hoops took a giant step back this year. The non rev sports have been solid to decent anyway for the most part, regardless of AD. And he just gave Danny Hall an extension for a program that, frankly, really has kind of underachieved the last decade or so.
But TStan has tied his fortunes to Collins ("he's my guy"), so if Collins continues to flail about, he will drag Stansbury down with him.
That and TStan admitted that he had the funds to fire Collins, knew the boosters and fans wanted Collins gone and still kept him. I am not saying the AD has to listen to fans all the time, but the worst 3-year stretch of football in nearly 100 years is just cause for a firing. TStan chose to put his own head on the chopping block for Collins. That blows my mind every time I think about it... If CGC got fired, no one would call for TStan's job.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
That and TStan admitted that he had the funds to fire Collins, knew the boosters and fans wanted Collins gone and still kept him. I am not saying the AD has to listen to fans all the time, but the worst 3-year stretch of football in nearly 100 years is just cause for a firing. TStan chose to put his own head on the chopping block for Collins. That blows my mind every time I think about it... If CGC got fired, no one would call for TStan's job.
Agreed, but did he have the funds to hire a new staff? "Mr Booster I need 5million to fire this guy and staff. Thank you." Hey Mr Booster, I need another 6 million to hire a new staff. Hello? Hello?"

Without the last 5 games of the 21 season, Moses Wright comes back and we have a better year. Same as when Josh O left early/unexpectedly, it puts a damper on things.
ADTS has also gotten the head coaches of all sports fully funded and has made scholarships being fully funded a top priority and has done really well with that. My worry is throwing the baby out with the bath water. But, 116 days until kickoff so time will tell.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, but did he have the funds to hire a new staff? "Mr Booster I need 5million to fire this guy and staff. Thank you." Hey Mr Booster, I need another 6 million to hire a new staff. Hello? Hello?"

Without the last 5 games of the 21 season, Moses Wright comes back and we have a better year. Same as when Josh O left early/unexpectedly, it puts a damper on things.
ADTS has also gotten the head coaches of all sports fully funded and has made scholarships being fully funded a top priority and has done really well with that. My worry is throwing the baby out with the bath water. But, 116 days until kickoff so time will tell.
I agree that we were/are in a tough financial spot. The blame for that falls on TStan giving CGC, an unproven P-5 head coaching candidate, a 7 year deal. I know that many candidates would be tepid having to transition from the triple option, but a contract of that length is pretty unheard of for a hire with CGC's resume, and something that many people on this board were surprised by. Hindsight is 20-20 so I don't try to judge the contract length now. At the time, I wrote that up to the price we were going to have to pay to turn over the roster. Little did we know the transfer portal was about to be totally unleashed.

slugboy

Staff member
That and TStan admitted that he had the funds to fire Collins, knew the boosters and fans wanted Collins gone and still kept him.
Several boosters said that the funds were there. I don’t remember TStan saying that.
The big boosters have said that TStan hitched his wagon to Collins, and that’s probably the important point.
The boosters’ view of the funds needed and TStans’ view might be different. The boosters might be focusing on the buyout while TStan may also be thinking about the money needed for a new coaching staff and the other needs. Their definitions of “sufficient funds” might be substantially different.
IMHO, we are in a less favorable search position now than we were three+ years ago. TStan may also be backing Collins because his other options aren’t pretty