Duke vs. UNC: -31
Duke vs. GT: -4
Duke vs. UVA: -48
Duke vs. Wake: -38
Duke vs. Pitt: -25
Duke vs. Vippy-Sue: -31
Duke vs. Louisville: -40
Duke vs. Miami: -37

Big "ouch" at GT being such an outlier...
illustrates why transitive property in college football doesn’t work. close game with tech after getting blown out by unc and then tech blew out unc. makes no sense lol

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
Duke vs. UNC: -31
Duke vs. GT: -4
Duke vs. UVA: -48
Duke vs. Wake: -38
Duke vs. Pitt: -25
Duke vs. Vippy-Sue: -31
Duke vs. Louisville: -40
Duke vs. Miami: -37

Big "ouch" at GT being such an outlier...
Just shows how bad our defense was last year. If it is not better this year…………..

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Man that’s tough. He’s also projecting a 6% chance of a bowl game. So either all of these predictive models are incredibly wrong or we have some folks here who just flat out know better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What can we expect. Nothing that happened last year projects well into this year. Too many unknowns going into this year so it is easy to stick with what has transpired the past 3 years. Maybe if we had shown improvement during the season and had played ND or UGA closer there could be some chance we are on an upward trend. Didn't happen.

slugboy

Staff member
Man that’s tough. He’s also projecting a 6% chance of a bowl game. So either all of these predictive models are incredibly wrong or we have some folks here who just flat out know better.
We’re banking on the new coaches and coaching changes by Collins turning the team around. That’s not factored into any of these models.
It’s a long shot, but it does come through for some programs.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think the other piece of this is that we had bright spots get eclipsed based on really dark ones. Addition by subtraction in the secondary seems likely to me, and couple that with a unified scheme we should see improvement there. At DL we seem to have finally gotten to a point where we should be able to hold the line of attack and even get some hurries / sacks which helps the whole D as well.

On O, we have seen talk through the last season of a split mind mentality with some coaches wanting more of a ground pound game and others driving towards more nuance passing - I think that dichotomy strongly disadvantaged our young QB.

In all, there are a few things that need to shake out to have us reach our potential; but it's not as outrageous as it may seem for us to have a floor of 6 wins.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We’re banking on the new coaches and coaching changes by Collins turning the team around. That’s not factored into any of these models.
It’s a long shot, but it does come through for some programs.
Models won’t be able to tell the development of Jeff Sims either or whether or not he misses multiple games with an injury. If Sims has the type of year his potential has shown he’s capable of, that alone could swing the needle big in our favor.

slugboy

Staff member
Models won’t be able to tell the development of Jeff Sims either or whether or not he misses multiple games with an injury. If Sims has the type of year his potential has shown he’s capable of, that alone could swing the needle big in our favor.
I'm concerned with "throwing at the end of the route instead of before the receiver makes their break". That hurt us last year, and will hurt us against Clemson. That's why I'm hoping Weinke gets that addressed.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm concerned with "throwing at the end of the route instead of before the receiver makes their break". That hurt us last year, and will hurt us against Clemson. That's why I'm hoping Weinke gets that addressed.
Agreed. There was some commentary from camp that in the last scrimmage he threw some good balls pre break that met the players in a dime when they got where they were going.

slugboy

Staff member
From Reddit, population-adjusted “where do good linebackers come from?

Top ten star linebacker states per capita
  1. Alabama
  2. Louisiana
  3. Georgia
  4. Hawaii
  5. Mississippi
  6. Florida
  7. Utah
  8. Virginia/DC
  9. Maryland
  10. Ohio

Unadjusted for population, the order is California, Florida, Georgia.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They beat Kansas by 19 points who then beat Texas on their home field. Texas is never living that one down.

Really? I did not know this. Nor did I care all that much if I even heard about it. But the half dozen or so people on the Tech sites who keep repeatedly dredging up losses against teams like NIU, Citadel, Kansas, Middle Tennessee or whatever like they are a permanent black stain on our honor and integrity somehow think anyone else cares about games played last year or prior.