Today in Analytics...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I guess we need more drives starting inside our own 20.
That. Plus blocking. Before I leave this earth I want to see a GT back run through a hole big enough that I could have run through. A GT QB sitting in the pocket for 10 seconds while he or she mulls over his or her options. And tight secondary coverage such that an opponent's Qb is sacked bc no one was open. I know it's not even Thanksgiving but here Saint Nick is my Christmas wish list. I think I have been good this year but please don't consult anyone else for a second opinion.

If I can't have any of that you know I will be happy to receive socks, underwear and a gift certificate for Costco hotdogs again. Lord knows I am unworthy of anything really and remain thankful for the blessings I have received. O yeah, Santa...if we can see a victory over the Dwags at BDS this year, I promise that I will never beseech thee again. (I will ignore the fact that you in fact did NOT deliver a puppy and pony on Christmas morning in 1968 despite the multitude of handwritten letters you plus homemade cookies and milk on the fire place you ungrateful *&^% which I noticed where in fact eaten). There are many here amongst your people, including my own progeny (that I put here on earth in obeyance of the directive that thou shall go forth and be fruitful plus the tax writeoffs that they provided although truly I was not thinking of such things like taxes at the moment that their journey here on earth began) who have not witnessed such a thing and no longer believe that even such a a thing that is possible. Even though the elders in their tribe pass down the traditions orally of such giant slayers as Dewberry and Hamilton and Jones and Godsey these youngster dismiss it as surely as they dimiss tales of Sasquatch and the Loch Ness monster. Please deliver us from the wilderness and also remember the widows and the orphans and those who are cold and hungry tonight. We have even been instructed that we should also pray for Dwag fans too so I am doing that too here (but you are probably going to dismiss that because you know I am doing such a thing out of compliance rather than out of purity of my own sinful heart so I seek forgiveness for my artificial sinceriy as well) . Amen...and Go Jackets!!!!!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That. Plus blocking. Before I leave this earth I want to see a GT back run through a hole big enough that I could have run through. A GT QB sitting in the pocket for 10 seconds while he or she mulls over his or her options. And tight secondary coverage such that an opponent's Qb is sacked bc no one was open. I know it's not even Thanksgiving but here Saint Nick is my Christmas wish list. I think I have been good this year but please don't consult anyone else for a second opinion.

If I can't have any of that you know I will be happy to receive socks, underwear and a gift certificate for Costco hotdogs again. Lord knows I am unworthy of anything really and remain thankful for the blessings I have received. O yeah, Santa...if we can see a victory over the Dwags at BDS this year, I promise that I will never beseech thee again. (I will ignore the fact that you in fact did NOT deliver a puppy and pony on Christmas morning in 1968 despite the multitude of handwritten letters you plus homemade cookies and milk on the fire place you ungrateful *&^% which I noticed where in fact eaten). There are many here amongst your people, including my own progeny (that I put here on earth in obeyance of the directive that thou shall go forth and be fruitful plus the tax writeoffs that they provided although truly I was not thinking of such things like taxes at the moment that their journey here on earth began) who have not witnessed such a thing and no longer believe that even such a a thing that is possible. Even though the elders in their tribe pass down the traditions orally of such giant slayers as Dewberry and Hamilton and Jones and Godsey these youngster dismiss it as surely as they dimiss tales of Sasquatch and the Loch Ness monster. Please deliver us from the wilderness and also remember the widows and the orphans and those who are cold and hungry tonight. We have even been instructed that we should also pray for Dwag fans too so I am doing that too here (but you are probably going to dismiss that because you know I am doing such a thing out of compliance rather than out of purity of my own sinful heart so I seek forgiveness for my artificial sinceriy as well) . Amen...and Go Jackets!!!!!!!
Let us know how your prayers turn out.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Well, week 13 has been posted in bcftoys. I used to go over these every week, but it was pretty depressing this year.

PPD Net Differential: -1.13 (113)

Offense
PPD: 1.8 (102)
Long: 1.88 (42)
Medium: 1.65 (97)
Short: 2.35 (120)

Defense
PPD: 2.93 (110)
Long: 3.17 (124)
Medium: 2.74 (111)
Short: 3.25 (48)

We were bad in PPD, without any sugar coating. Our only positives turned out to be PPD when facing 81+ yards to goal on offense and when <59 yards to goal on defense. For some reason it seemed we played better when facing adversity on both offense and defense.

Stats explained:
Offense ratings (OFEI) represent the per-possession scoring advantage each offense would be expected to have on a neutral field against an average opponent. Offensive drive efficiency (ODE) is scoring value gained or lost per offensive drive. Offensive points per drive (OPD) is total net points scored per offensive drive. Offensive available yards percentage (OAY) is drive yards gained divided by drive yards available based on starting field position. Offensive yards per play (OPP) is drive yards gained per offensive play. Touchdown rate (OTD) is the percentage of offensive drives that result in a touchdown. Value drive rate (OVD) is the percentage of offensive drives that conclude with a drive end value greater than the drive start value based on field position. First down rate (OFD) is the percentage of offensive drives that earn at least one first down. Busted drive rate (OBD) is the percentage of offensive drives that gain zero or negative yards. Turnover rate (OTO) is the percentage of offensive drives that end with an interception or fumble.
Offense FEI
Rk​
Team
Rec​
OFEI​
ODE​
Rk​
OPD​
Rk​
OAY​
Rk​
OPP​
Rk​
OTD​
Rk​
OVD​
Rk​
OFD​
Rk​
OBD​
Rk​
OTO​
Rk​
76​
Georgia Tech​
2-9​
-.12​
-.23​
90​
1.80​
102​
.442​
85​
5.85​
69​
.223​
97​
.331​
89​
.694​
76​
.116​
63​
.083​
28​

Nothing really great in the OFEI category. Our best stat was in offensive turnover rate (OTO). Despite all the grumblings regarding Sims turnovers, our offense was as a whole very good at limiting turnovers. Our inability to move the ball consistently (OAY) and our inability to score TD's (OTD) were certainly huge factors in our poor offense. Overall this year's OFEI is better than last year's by a considerable margin.

Defense
RkTeamRecDFEIDDERkDPDRkDAYRkDPPRkDTDRkDVDRkDFDRkDBDRkDTORk
111Georgia Tech2-9-0.78-0.911162.931100.58511971200.3711080.4741090.733820.0691130.08698

There were no bright spots for the defense. The only two categories not below rank 100 were first down rate (82) and turnover rate (98). We allowed a whopping 37% of drives to be touchdowns, and gave up 58.5% of all available yards per drive.

Stats explained:
Special teams ratings (STR) combine kickoff return, kickoff, punt return, punt, field goal, and opponent field goal efficiency into one overall rating, represented as the team's standard deviation above or below average. Kickoff return efficiency (KRE) is scoring value gained or lost per kickoff return. Kickoff efficiency (KE) is scoring value gained or lost per opponent kickoff return. Punt return efficiency (PRE) is scoring value gained or lost per punt return. Punt efficiency (PE) is scoring value gained or lost per opponent punt return. Field goal efficiency (FGE) and opponent field goal efficiency (OFG) is scoring value gained or lost per field goal attempt. Field position is measured as the average distance from starting field position to end zone on offensive drives (OFP) and opponent offensive drives (DFP); net field position (NFP) is the difference between these values.
Special Teams
Rk
Team
Rec
STR
KRE
Rk
KE
Rk
PRE
Rk
PE
Rk
FGE
Rk
OFG
Rk
OFP
Rk
DFP
Rk
NFP
Rk
46​
Georgia Tech​
2-9​
.23​
.14​
26​
.12​
1​
-.18​
79​
.04​
105​
-.14​
98​
-.03​
37​
72.3​
94​
70.9​
76​
-1.4​
88​
The only potential "bright" spot for the team. Our kickoff efficiency was rank 1 and kickoff return ranked 26th. The rest were in the poor quality, but it was still enough to have us overall ranked 46.

If anyone is interested in other stats, feel free to let me know.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The defensive stats!!!! How on earth can he justify keeping Thacker on this staff. If he wants to remain a football coach then he needs to go somewhere else to learn.
I don't know the dynamics between the coaches, so I can't begin to understand. I told my dad from the get go I expected CDP to be a sacrificial lamb from the time he was hired, so I am not surprised he was let go. I cannot fathom what could lead to retaining Thacker other than some inside information we are not aware of. The defense has been bad each year, and unlike the offense, has not improved. Considering most of the inherited higher rated recruits were on the defense, it is hard to discern why the defense has become worse.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
We are a very interesting team for analytics

(Our run D looks better because teams attack us through the air. If our pass defense was better, we'd get pounded by the run. We have to fix multiple parts of our D, not just one)

I don't like being the interesting outlier in this direction...
Excited to see who the new coordinators are and if they can push us in the right direction.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
We are a very interesting team for analytics

(Our run D looks better because teams attack us through the air. If our pass defense was better, we'd get pounded by the run. We have to fix multiple parts of our D, not just one)

I wish I knew how he aggregated the data, so I could build this for passing.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the dynamics between the coaches, so I can't begin to understand. I told my dad from the get go I expected CDP to be a sacrificial lamb from the time he was hired, so I am not surprised he was let go. I cannot fathom what could lead to retaining Thacker other than some inside information we are not aware of. The defense has been bad each year, and unlike the offense, has not improved. Considering most of the inherited higher rated recruits were on the defense, it is hard to discern why the defense has become worse.
MAYBE somehow Thacker is close to a couple of key recruits. Either that or he has some questionable pictures of GC.

slugboy

Staff member
The guys (Binion, actually) over at FTRS slice and dice some numbers on the past season. Some of the graphs look “loose” but it’s a decent shot at working with the data at hand. The lookback is harsh for good reason, and there are attempts at forward-looking optimism, but it’s a tenuous case for next season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ask and you shall receive:

Everything you asked for is here. (True, when he had time to throw, Oliver fell down so maybe that doesn't count.) And only three seasons ago. Remarkable, isn't it?

The condensed game is fun to watch too. The blocking is great in this game.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2...ball-advanced-stats-review-part-3-the-defense

Interesting article here on the defensive struggles we had last season. Freshest insight that I have seen on the biggest coaching issue I think we had last year on defense (Playing the old guys who struggled a ton).

"The defensive coaches were afraid to turn the page from the established returners in the 2021 secondary, and they paid the price for it."