Today’s the day for Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Dude… if you think Mark Richt doesn’t deserve to be in the CFB HoF, who tf does? A .727 W%, never missed a bowl game went to 18 straight, COY in 2 different P5 conferences, national COY, 6 division titles, 2 conference titles, 5 NY6 bowl appearances, 7 teams ranked in the top 10.

I mean, I hate Richt because he beat Tech so much, but come on man. He’s literally one of the best college football coaches of the modern era.
I don't hate Richt for what he did at uga. That was his job. I hate Richt for the way the great unwashed revered him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There are about five coaches in my history with football that give really good interviews. Paul Johnson may be among the most generous, open, and down to earth. Always feel like I get to know the man at the same time I’m learning something about football.
I don't know about typical interviews but Spurrier's post game commentary was always funny especially when he would zing his own players for having a big head and/or UGA.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Jumping back to it, I don't remember seeing it anywhere on this thread (may have missed it) - but it would appear that Paul Johnson is the fourth College Football Hall of Fame Coach to have the head coaching job at Tech (after Bobby Dodd, Bill Alexander, and John Heisman), correct?
Yep

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about typical interviews but Spurrier's post game commentary was always funny especially when he would zing his own players for having a big head and/or UGA.
Bobby Bowden, Mike Leach, Vince Lombardi, Pepper Rodgers, were other great interviews.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have just finished cleaning this thread up. I apologize if any relevant posts got swept away in the process.

Generally, if you can't convince another poster of your argument after 2-3 attempts, you should either let it drop or take it to DMs. The rest of the board does not need or want to read through multiple pages of accusations and innuendo thinking there might be a topically relevant post buried in there somewhere.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Bowden, Mike Leach, Vince Lombardi, Pepper Rodgers, were other great interviews.
Left out John McKay. My favorite = a reporter asked him once about Tim Rossovich. McKay "Ah, Timmy! A smart boy. A hard working boy. But, above everything else, a very, very mean boy." True too.

And, btw, congratulations to Paul. If any coach ever deserved the HOF, he's the one. I'll always look back at his time at Tech with fondness and respect. I only hope Tech can achieve the same level of success in the future.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think we all believe for the most part. Who doesn't want that? But I think what most of us really want is a Bobby Ross type - those that believe not only in offense but in defense and ST's as well. The hard part is knowing who is the real deal (they all come highly recommended remember) and/or affording the truly elite talent. Like any profession, these guys at the the top of the food chain know what they are worth.
I love Ross, but 1990 was a completely different world in major CFB.

Finding “hidden gems” to “coach up” is much more rare, & the difference between 1-5 top ‘cruitin classes and everyone else has never had wider chasm.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are about five coaches in my history with football that give really good interviews. Paul Johnson may be among the most generous, open, and down to earth. Always feel like I get to know the man at the same time I’m learning something about football.
Agreed. He was a transparent person. I am confident that 99.9% of the time (no one is perfect), he told kids what he meant & meant what he said.

In that regard, I want to believe Key will be similar.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Think I'll watch a little of his championship games at GSU, just out of respect. As a GSU to GT transfer (RETP), I have ties to both schools. I was present and at every home game when GSC (C, not U) was first division 1 school to ever go 15-0. That was a fun year to be a freshman.

GSU vs Youngstown State, 1999:

GSU vs Montana, 2000:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Think I'll watch a little of his championship games at GSU, just out of respect. As a GSU to GT transfer (RETP), I have ties to both schools. I was present and at every home game when GSC (C, not U) was first division 1 school to ever go 15-0. That was a fun year to be a freshman.

GSU vs Youngstown State, 1999:

GSU vs Montana, 2000:

Michigan went all those years trying to find a coach that could beat Jim Tressel. They should have just hired CPJ who WHUPPED Tressel's butt in that 1999 championship game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Needs a statue. And I mean this in all sincerity!
I'd go for the unlikely statue, but regardless of all that Tech has not had a coach since Dodd that could think and improvise on the fly and outgun the opposition by spotting one offensive or defensive player cheating up to the line. I think it was against Middle Tennessee that he started a 160-pound A back at the B back spot on went for more than 70 yards and TC on the first play of the game. Caught the middle linebacker playing man on the fullback and it was no contest down the field. And his calls against Miss, State in the Orange Bowl were remarkable throughout. Then of course there was a whoie series over the years agaiinst Bud Foster at Va. Tech.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Michigan went all those years trying to find a coach that could beat Jim Tressel. They should have just hired CPJ who WHUPPED Tressel's butt in that 1999 championship game.
We actually got a winner in Collins. It was just that he beat himself. What a horrendeous hire that was, and I think he has gotten off light with the board.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard Paul's interview with the media which included Tech, Ga Southern and Navy reporters. He still is so likeable. He did say the 2014 upset in Athens was his favorite all time highlight win ( from the standpoint of Harrison's 53 yard FG and DJ's interception in overtime. ) I think he took the UGA rivalry a little more seriously than he let on. But I am glad Coach Key has laid out his emotions for this game for everyone to know. We all needed to hear this from our coach. Personally, I think about it all the time!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I heard Paul's interview with the media which included Tech, Ga Southern and Navy reporters. He still is so likeable. He did say the 2014 upset in Athens was his favorite all time highlight win ( from the standpoint of Harrison's 53 yard FG and DJ's interception in overtime. ) I think he took the UGA rivalry a little more seriously than he let on. But I am glad Coach Key has laid out his emotions for this game for everyone to know. We all needed to hear this from our coach. Personally, I think about it all the time!
If reports of his scorched earth, burn Athens to the ground halftime talk in his first Georgfa game -- Tech down 28-12 at half I think -- can be believed, he always took Georgia seriously. It was that unlike some fans he knew it was one game among 12. But he lit into them and Tech was leading halfway through the thired quarter as I remember. Johnsaon is not a guyu I would want on my case.