Today’s the day for Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love to see Batt patch up the gt johnson relationship with a big dinner before a home game. Put me down for a table near the front.

Not a smooth politician but a football genius.

I am about to be petty I suppose. I have a digital subscription to the AJC. I can't help but notice
that Richt gets a nice Page 1 article. Paul is relegated to Page 7.

I believe two Power 5 coaches should have equal coverage concerning HOF!!

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I am about to be petty I suppose. I have a digital subscription to the AJC. I can't help but notice

I was watching Good Day Atlanta on Fox 5 this morning and they did a brief story about CMR being selected to the HOF but made zero mention of CPJ. This is the BS we have to deal with in this state.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

Many things have to change before that happens. A lot of it is in motion right now, just needs successful implementation. Hell, we're only a day removed from them telling us we can't have our coach yet.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I was watching Good Day Atlanta on Fox 5 this morning and they did a brief story about CMR being selected to the HOF but made zero mention of CPJ. This is the BS we have to deal with in this state.
Many years ago, there was a function for press and the state's college football coaches. I happened to be standing next to PJ for a few minutes. We look over at the horde descending on Richt.
PJ looks at me and goes, "you don't think there's a (bleeping) bias in this state?"
Me: "Never said there wasn't, dude."

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I will always be extremely appreciative of the years we had PJ as our head coach. This honor is well deserved.

When he left, and when we hired TFG, I knew almost assuredly we would take a nosedive, but even I did not think it would be as bad as it actually was.

Y'all know my opinon. I will always believe that to have special years at GT in football, we need an offensive genius, like Friedgen or Johnson. I think as time has gone by, this has become even more of a reality for GT.

I am totally ok with those that don't believe this. But, I am still waiting to see something that will actually prove otherwise. (going back to the 90s or before is not going to prove it to me) I still believe without that special O mind, Gailey's years are about all we can hope for, and those are definitely better than what we just got.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Many years ago, there was a function for press and the state's college football coaches. I happened to be standing next to PJ for a few minutes. We look over at the horde descending on Richt.
PJ looks at me and goes, "you don't think there's a (bleeping) bias in this state?"
Me: "Never said there wasn't, dude."
Many things have to change before that happens. A lot of it is in motion right now, just needs successful implementation. Hell, we're only a day removed from them telling us we can't have our coach yet.
We haven't gotten fair coverage in our "hometown" since 1980. Its never going to change so Id quit worrying about it. Just don't read the AJC. Its not like they put their ace on our beat anyway.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Y'all know my opinon. I will always believe that to have special years at GT in football, we need an offensive genius, like Friedgen or Johnson. I think as time has gone by, this has become even more of a reality for GT.

I am totally ok with those that don't believe this.
I think we all believe for the most part. Who doesn't want that? But I think what most of us really want is a Bobby Ross type - those that believe not only in offense but in defense and ST's as well. The hard part is knowing who is the real deal (they all come highly recommended remember) and/or affording the truly elite talent. Like any profession, these guys at the the top of the food chain know what they are worth.

Jolly Good Fellow
Happy for Paul. Glad he has been voted into this watered-down HoF...Because if Richt is in, this is not an exclusive club

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
Richt got in not for this time as head coach of uga. That just made him eligible
Richt has a better resume at UGA than Terry Donahue from UCLA, Mike Bellotti from Oregon, and many other head coaches in the hall. Again, hate the school he won most of his games, but his time at UGA is what got him into the HOF.

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate UGA as much as anyone, but it's wrong to make it seem as if Richt getting in is an insult.
oh, I agree. The fact that Phil Rizzuto is in BB HoF does not make Chipper's election an insult... as you wrote, CFB HoF includes Terry Donahue from UCLA, Mike Bellotti from Oregon????...... Richt in HoF, too? GTFOH.....LOL...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are about five coaches in my history with football that give really good interviews. Paul Johnson may be among the most generous, open, and down to earth. Always feel like I get to know the man at the same time I’m learning something about football.
For a journalist that asks good, well-grounded questions, CPJ is probably a terrific interview. For someone looking for sound bites, he might also be a good interview.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
oh, I agree. The fact that Phil Rizzuto is in BB HoF does not make Chipper's election an insult... as you wrote, CFB HoF includes Terry Donahue from UCLA, Mike Bellotti from Oregon????...... Richt in HoF, too? GTFOH.....LOL...
Dude… if you think Mark Richt doesn’t deserve to be in the CFB HoF, who tf does? A .727 W%, never missed a bowl game went to 18 straight, COY in 2 different P5 conferences, national COY, 6 division titles, 2 conference titles, 5 NY6 bowl appearances, 7 teams ranked in the top 10.

I mean, I hate Richt because he beat Tech so much, but come on man. He’s literally one of the best college football coaches of the modern era.