Today’s the day for Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen

dirty foot

Georgia Tech Fan
Today we will learn whether Paul Johnson and Ralph Friedgen make it for inclusion into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Did we not make a major bowl game in 1990

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's a d@mn shame GT still hasn't brought CPJ back to honor him for his time at GT. Now that he's being inducted into the CHOF, there's a good reason to. Hope Batt and Cabrera rectify that in the next year or two.
I mean they may have tried and he may have told them to foff, given how poorly he was talked about by the last HC

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Key is trying to unite the fanbase and the that includes the "say no to the option" donors. From what I've heard, he's dead serious about the business of GT football.
I'm pretty impressed about what he's doing. I wasn't fan of him even being retained much less being promoted, but happily admit he's made good move after good move. It was just disgusting how deep into the crap we'd fallen, it was hard not to indict every coach & staff member as being complicit in the ****show. Glad to see he's a stand up, high character guy.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm pretty impressed about what he's doing. I wasn't fan of him even being retained much less being promoted, but happily admit he's made good move after good move. It was just disgusting how deep into the crap we'd fallen, it was hard not to indict every coach & staff member as being complicit in the ****show. Glad to see he's a stand up, high character guy.
Amen!

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Prior to 1998 there were four bowls that were considered “Major.” Those were the Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Cotton. Fiesta bought its way in over the Cotton with the BCS, and the Peach joined the party in 2014.

So technically speaking, no…we did not go to a major bowl in 1990.
For further clarification, the ACC champ was locked into the Citrus Bowl at that time

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was so effective that the powers that be had to rewrite blocking rules to counter his success at embarrassing them on the field
Yes. And here's the main effect of that:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

NB: three of the first four teams are spread option outfits. They didn't all have great years - though Air Force went 10 - 3 - but running the ball wasn't that much of a problem. Btw, the Falcons led the country in total D, rushing, ToP, and yards per completion. And Brad Roberts led the nation in rushing yards. The rules changes made things tougher, but not impossible.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And the next home after that they should bring Collins back and let us throw water balloons at him. Thinking about it they could sell tickets for $10 each to throw a water balloon at Collins.
Well … I'd be in favor of a - shall we say - humanly produced fluid in the balloons.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did we not make a major bowl game in 1990
No, the Citrus Bowl was not considered one of the premier bowls. it was a well-respected one, but we should have played Miami in the Cotton Bowl or Colorado in the Sugar Bowl. Back then the bowl invites were unaffiliated and handed out before the end of the season, so we were relegated to a lesser bowl even though we were ranked #2 in both the UPI Coaches' Poll and the AP Poll at the end of the regular season.