Tobias Oliver to WR - PER AJC REPORT

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This move was pretty much inevitable. Staff probably would have liked to do this back in the spring but with Graham's academic situation and LJ coming off an injury, they probably weren't comfortable enough with the QB situation to move the only guy with any experience away from the position, especially with the first game being @CU. My guess is this move would have come earlier had Graham not missed the Citadel, but that's pure speculation.

As far as Yates goes, Collins has shown in the past that he isn't afraid of turning to the backup QB if the starter isn't working out so my guess is Yates still has a good shot at QB as of now. I expect LJ to transfer, and for the spring to basically be a 3 horse race between Graham, Yates, and Gleason. Most likely situation, as of now, would probably be Graham winning the starting job, and the staff trying to redshirt Gleason, leaving Yates the backup which puts him either an injury or some bad performances away from getting a legit shot in game. I could see a transfer for him (or position change), but I think it would more likely be after next year than this one. L

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think the staff has settled in on graham for the rest of the year as no. 1 and correctly so. He’s the most talented in both phases of the game. If we didn’t change coaches TO would be the correct choice for QB since passing was generally an afterthought in PJs scheme and we’ve all seen how TO shines in that scheme. TO definitely needs to be on the field perhaps in a two back set to take a swing pass or two down the field as well as WR.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Actually TO has a much better chance of getting into the NFL or CFL as a WR. Never would happen at QB. I am sure he is disappointed but he is showing what a team player he is. May see him at wildcat some. Could even do a pass to JG. Both of those kids can run.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually TO has a much better chance of getting into the NFL or CFL as a WR. Never would happen at QB. I am sure he is disappointed but he is showing what a team player he is. May see him at wildcat some. Could even do a pass to JG. Both of those kids can run.

100%, there's a reason Taquan Marshall and Justin Thomas were transitioning to WRs for their tryouts in the NFL. He's got the speed and elusiveness to really show off here, let's see if he has the hands too.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I hope this doesn't come back to bite us. Graham has already been forced off the field once and Johnson has not shown very effectively in the new O. And Yates, though he is pretty good, is a true frosh. Of course, Tobias could always move back to QB if Graham gets hurt.

Unless he gets hurt himself.

ps: I fear our coaches may have a height fetish for QBs. If so, that is too bad. What you need is a performance fetish. If that's the way they approach it, then Yates will do just fine. He's a better player then Gleason already, imho.

I think the thing about height is people overthinking why we didn’t see Graham earlier. And if DP has a height fetish he sure didn’t show it at Coastal Carolina where Alex Ross, who played the lion’s share of the games DP coached as OC is only 6’1” and at various times they had guys who were 6’4” and 6’5”. If James Graham is lighting it up and stays eligible then why on Earth would anyone assume that he wouldn’t continue to play (unless genuinely beaten out by someone better).

I think the reason we saw LJ and TO playing the most at the start of the season is that they were the most steady guys in practice and, since James had to focus on his academic eligibility (good job by the young man putting it together and getting eligible) he didn’t get as many reps to gel with the OL guys and learn to call the protections. I don’t think their relative height’s has anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the thing about height is people overthinking why we didn’t see Graham earlier. And if DP has a height fetish he sure didn’t show it at Coastal Carolina where Alex Ross, who played the lion’s share of the games DP coached as OC is only 6’1” and at various times they had guys who were 6’4” and 6’5”. If James Graham is lighting it up and stays eligible then why on Earth would anyone assume that he wouldn’t continue to play (unless genuinely beaten out by someone better).

I think the reason we saw LJ and TO playing the most at the start of the season is that they were the most steady guys in practice and, since James had to focus on his academic eligibility (good job by the young man putting it together and getting eligible) he didn’t get as many reps to gel with the OL guys and learn to call the protections. I don’t think their relative height’s has anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope you are right. I fear you aren't.