Tobias Oliver: The Passer

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We win at USF & Pitt.... Maybe could have had offense show up during Homecoming...Not sure, but we would be at 5 wins instead of three
Against aggressive D, offense will not show up without a passing threat. Needs to be good enough to have confidence to throw on first down, on 2nd and 4.
But a lot more seems wrong when we can't make a 1 yard first down.

Duke BTW was attacking the football causing a couple of fumbles.

Really only TM has been stuck in the mud and shown no improvement.
Of all the arguments against CPJ (and there are a lot of legit ones), I think criticizing him for lacking QB improvement is about as weak as it gets.

Ummm....OK? :confused::jawdrop::meh:

JT regressed, by all accounts btw. NFL WRs or not.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ummm....OK? :confused::jawdrop::meh:

JT regressed, by all accounts btw. NFL WRs or not.

You really can’t look at his play in a vacuum. Name any good QB...let them play with two great WRs one year. That QB will likely look like a world beater. The next year let him throw to two barely able to play WRs. You really think that QB will look like a world beater still. Now expand this exercise to all other position groups.

Btw....most accounts don’t agree with your own.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I saw that Tech received its 16th commitment - a WR from Florida, Kalani Norris. 6 feet tall, 175 pounds. With the way recruiting has been going lately, that seems kinda smallish now for ABack. I wonder what convinced him that Tech was the best place for him. Academics? Our stellar passing game this season? Our history under CPJ for air raid football? Or, maybe, just maybe, a promise that next season Tech would come out slinging the ball all over the field? Wait, do we even have a QB who could do that?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw that Tech received its 16th commitment - a WR from Florida, Kalani Norris. 6 feet tall, 175 pounds. With the way recruiting has been going lately, that seems kinda smallish now for ABack. I wonder what convinced him that Tech was the best place for him. Academics? Our stellar passing game this season? Our history under CPJ for air raid football? Or, maybe, just maybe, a promise that next season Tech would come out slinging the ball all over the field? Wait, do we even have a QB who could do that?
Early playing time and liked the straight forward honesty of the coaches.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
One thing I liked about Oliver's passing is that--like his running--it's very decisive. He drops back in a hurry and unloads it. We'll have to see about accuracy and decisionmaking. Arm strength is average to below average IMO, but good enough for what we do.

When he runs the ball he is very quick and decisive and goes forward and doesn't try to pussyfoot around or run backwards and try to juke the entire other team. I like that style of play. I think he sees the field pretty well as a runner, and I am hoping he sees it well as a passer too.

Just seems to play at warp speed to me. I like his potential. Hasn't fumbled the ball much either...seems to take care of it pretty well. Will be interesting to see if he progresses. Apparently has a very good attitude and is a hard worker.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In terms of running the ball, I think we can all see he's a talented runner. He may not know our offense as well as TQM, but when the ball is in his hands, he's tends to make good positive gains

I want to talk about Tobias the passer. He's not polished, and his throws are sometimes off the mark where the receiver has to adjust, but I think he understands where the ball needs to go. Several of his passes (to Lynch and Malachi Carter), had they been a foot higher or lower, would have been good passes. Overall, I think Tobias should get more snaps. Rotate him and TQM like we did with Vad and Tevin in 2012.

There's just something about Oliver when he has the ball in his hands.

Ahem...not patting myself on the back...

...OK, yeah I am. :)

BTW, looked like Tobias made the right read on the ONE pass he attempted, but his feet and ground didn't agree that he should be allowed to pass.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One thing I liked about Oliver's passing is that--like his running--it's very decisive. He drops back in a hurry and unloads it. We'll have to see about accuracy and decisionmaking. Arm strength is average to below average IMO, but good enough for what we do.

When he runs the ball he is very quick and decisive and goes forward and doesn't try to pussyfoot around or run backwards and try to juke the entire other team. I like that style of play. I think he sees the field pretty well as a runner, and I am hoping he sees it well as a passer too.

Just seems to play at warp speed to me. I like his potential. Hasn't fumbled the ball much either...seems to take care of it pretty well. Will be interesting to see if he progresses. Apparently has a very good attitude and is a hard worker.
Agree and want to add 2
TO has similar acceleration that JT had. JT was ok on first step. He was blazing on second step and amazing. TO is ok on first, blazing on second, and ok on third.
As u said TO seems see the hole/lane and react without hesitation.
He s headed into the hole and it looks like they have the angle and then he takes that second step and he's by that tackler. THEN to make the next tackler miss he makes a juke or spin move (not a fan).

Tqm seems to me to be faster on the first step, but spends time deciding. Still does damn good.
Imo , tqm would have done well running in this scheme. He is a lot stronger and would have broken some big plays.
I am very very happy w 12 yds by qb, 10 yds by bb and 8 yds by ab!!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Oliver accelerates after contact nicely...and overlooked aspect of 'football speed'. Dwyer and Nesbitt had this quality too, as did Orwin Smith. He also just shows a force of will to go forward and get whatever is there for the taking.

You hear about how determined and hard-working he is and it makes me think he'll figure out the passing game. Hope he plays a lot this year.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I just don't see how you could start anyone else after that game. Obviously, past performance is no indicator of current success, but how could you not.