To present athletes, committed recruits, and those looking at Ma Tech:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This board represents a tremendous representation of fans that really care about you guys! It shows on some of the threads such as D. Wilson is transferring, the attrition of a few weeks ago, and those that were dismissed. Even in losses that hurt every player or fan. These alumni, students, and side walk fans care very much about you. We want you to succeed at every level during your time here. I TRULY believe that at most schools you would not find this kind of appreciation on their boards, and that you athletes would be devastated and upset. In my opinion this board exemplifies the great majority of it's fans. To the best of Ga Tech; HERE HERE HOORAH GO JACKETS FOR EVER!!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This board represents a tremendous representation of fans that really care about you guys! It shows on some of the threads such as D. Wilson is transferring, the attrition of a few weeks ago, and those that were dismissed. Even in losses that hurt every player or fan. These alumni, students, and side walk fans care very much about you. We want you to succeed at every level during your time here. I TRULY believe that at most schools you would not find this kind of appreciation on their boards, and that you athletes would be devastated and upset. In my opinion this board exemplifies the great majority of it's fans. To the best of Ga Tech; HERE HERE HOORAH GO JACKETS FOR EVER!!
+1

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For those not familiar with "Ma" Tech... Ma = Mom in the south... i.e. Ga Tech will discipline you - like your mother did - or as @jwsavGT states " "She" is the thing that makes you or breaks you."

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
All degree granting educational institutions are considered feminine. It is from "Alma Mater" which means "fostering mother." Traditionally a college is likewise legally considered in loco parentis which also contributes to being considered a foster parent/mother.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
All degree granting educational institutions are considered feminine. It is from "Alma Mater" which means "fostering mother." Traditionally a college is likewise legally considered in loco parentis which also contributes to being considered a foster parent/mother.
Bruce, your avatar at work again!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don't know, but I suspect that the culture might have changed from the time I was there in the 80's. As I understand it, student satisfaction and retention are now categories that US News and World Report includes in its college rankings. Ma couldn't care less about those two items when I was there. The witch boasted of attrition.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don't know, but I suspect that the culture might have changed from the time I was there in the 80's. As I understand it, student satisfaction and retention are now categories that US News and World Report includes in its college rankings. Ma couldn't care less about those two items when I was there. The witch boasted of attrition.

yep, 87
begs the question-does a meat grinder have a gender?

Animal02

Banned

That is the truth......we started with 500 frosh in architecture......I think 10% were gone before classes started, 50% by the end of the first year, eventually, about 50 of us graduated.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
According to my dad (AE 56), GT's policy of making it easy to attend but difficult to stay was a product of the GI Bill after WW-II... It was thought that returning servicemen deserved an opportunity to give it a go at GT - and of course, the Institute did what was necessary to "correct" the numbers... It was still that way when I transferred from Presbyterian via DeKalb CC in 1984 - I was a decent, but not outstanding student... Managed to eke out a 2.7 GPA with a BEE in '87...

Animal02

Banned
According to my dad (AE 56), GT's policy of making it easy to attend but difficult to stay was a product of the GI Bill after WW-II... It was thought that returning servicemen deserved an opportunity to give it a go at GT - and of course, the Institute did what was necessary to "correct" the numbers... It was still that way when I transferred from Presbyterian via DeKalb CC in 1984 - I was a decent, but not outstanding student... Managed to eke out a 2.7 GPA with a BEE in '87...
I graduated tenth in my class from H.S. was a national merit scholar (seems like half the student body was at Tech) managed to escape with a 2.1 from Tech. Those damn AE profs that taught structures hated us architects. But I do not regret one minute of going to Tech.