Tip Off Tomorrow Miami of Ohio

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Dreadful shot selection down the stretch to go along with a couple of silly fouls.

We need someone unproven to step up from deep. With Bubba out, only Devoe and Sturdivant hit 30%+ last year, and Kyle's was on < 25 attempts.

Howard looked a lot more athletic and in tune with his size. Very nice, classic big man development.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If they weren't worse from 3 point land than we were they'd have blown us out.

MoO 6 for. 31 from behind the arc, yet they still won.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Usher 0-5, Moore 0-4 from 3 pt line. Make one of those and it's a different story.

Howard is so much better this season. He was almost unusable last year. Of course, the real test will come when he has to play against guys his equal physically. That's going to be a nightly thing in the ACC.

The freshmen look like freshmen, but you can see that they have promise. Just need to get them up to speed QUICK.

We actually played a good defensive game. MOH shot 39% overall, and just 19% from 3 (6-31). Our turnovers and inopportune fouls kept MOH in the game and they stole one at the end.

Usher will need to play better. He's more than capable. Seemed tentative in the first half. I don't expect this kind of game to be the usual from him...I expect to see more of the Usher we saw in the 2nd half of last season. This team needs him to be that Usher.

Sturdivant also needs to play better. Lots of quiet stretches from him. 22 minutes, 1-5 shooting and just 4 points. He's a better player than that.

Not having Parham hurts us this game. Another guy that could have controlled the tempo and made some shots. We were missing that this game.

Not much more to add. We know we're better than that...but we did what we always do early in the season...give away wins. We have Stetson then Lamar. I expect us to make a HUGE leap between this game and the next. Turn the page and move forward...

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Welp, who’da thunk it?

February 11th first pitch for Beesball!!!!!
Yep! Bring on baseball. The rest of our mens sports are abysmal right now. Watching us play does nothing but raise the blood pressure and disappoint.

We really missed Alvarado down the stretch to take control of the clock and make good decisions. Usher and devoe did not step up at the end of the game

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Our defense was good - not great but good - the issue on that side was we didn't generate any turnovers and with that everything on the offensive end was a slog. We have to figure out a way to get turnovers and get into a transition game. We got nothing in transition tonight.

On offense, Howard is going to get put backs and garbage points (not bad - happy with that) and our PGs are not really scorers. They don't shoot the ball well. Devoe does and Usher is Usher - will be up and down all year but does a lot better in transition (see comment about defense). With that, we cannot have a 3 spot that scores 5 or whatever points it was tonight. We can't afford that. Right or wrong I have given up on K Moore getting any sort of stroke back so IMHO our season hangs on either Deebo or Kelly getting an offensive game together. We have to have a scoring threat to go with Devoe and given the rest of our team it has to be a 3. Hope one or both of those guys step up.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Edit: tried to reply to someone and it didn’t work so my message alone would make no sense.

Team played poorly. Need to find some offense, and grind harder on defense. They didn’t shoot well either, but got some easy buckets from bad defense and no one picking up on the back side. We have some talent and I expect to improve but we have to virtually win out now in OOC to get into the post season. Tough to lose these every year and dig a hole.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
our season hangs on either Deebo or Kelly getting an offensive game together. We have to have a scoring threat to go with Devoe and given the rest of our team it has to be a 3. Hope one or both of those guys step up.

Your exactly right. I think (or at least hope) Deebo is that guy.

By mid December we’re a completely different team with Mike driving on the left side and Deebo in the corner so nobody can help on Mike.

In the meantime we need to figure out how to beat Stetson.

/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your exactly right. I think (or at least hope) Deebo is that guy.

By mid December we’re a completely different team with Mike driving on the left side and Deebo in the corner so nobody can help on Mike.

In the meantime we need to figure out how to beat Stetson.

/

Kelly being one of the players on the last possession says a lot about him and what our staff thinks about his shot.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
Btw, our student section is a ****ing joke. Reigning ACC champs and we get some lackluster sad students that can’t make noise during the season opener? I mean get out of here.
Did you show up to this game? Because I was there in person and the students were very loud and we were cheering as much as we could. The student section was fairly packed, especially for a Tuesday night game during a busy week for students, and we even incorporated a new dedicated Students Bball section that was yelling all game. Trying to blame the students for not being passionate is not a good look, because I can tell you GT students do show up and support their team as much as possible.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got back from the game. I'll never use the C word on any of our student athletes, so here's how I'll put it: Jordan Usher single handedly gave this game away. From the opening tipoff to his 2 incredibly boneheaded shots in the last 2 minutes, when all he had to do was bring the ball out and we win, he was unbelievably awful. When I sober up in the morning I'll post more comprehensive thoughts, but Jordan Usher lost us this game. Full Stop

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow...its a tough crowd in here. Like I said before the game, I was amped up, and that usually means we crap the bed. But, when I am realistic, I knew this would be a tough test. Miami is not a bad team and Pastner teams have a reputation of starting slow. This one stings, but I saw some positive signs and I am not ready to give up on this team.

Our guys played hard and played well most of the night, but in the end, the ball bounced to their guy and he made the shot. When we had our chance, we forced it and missed it. I have a feeling the taste of a loss is going to motivate them, and I am still hopeful for the season.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you show up to this game? Because I was there in person and the students were very loud and we were cheering as much as we could. The student section was fairly packed, especially for a Tuesday night game during a busy week for students, and we even incorporated a new dedicated Students Bball section that was yelling all game. Trying to blame the students for not being passionate is not a good look, because I can tell you GT students do show up and support their team as much as possible.
I was at the game. I sit right behind the student section on the sideline, and i was impressed with the student section considering it was the first game of the season against a no-name opponent. I was pleasantly surprised that the sideline student section was just about completely full and the student section behind the basket was about half full. The “grown-ups” sections were largely empty by comparison. I was the only person sitting on my row.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
My take from being there

Defense was good, very good at times, not great.
Miami has veteran guards and they are hard to turnover.

Offense is the bigger issue.
If Devoe has a bad night - how are we getting to 70 on anyone?
The lineup that was in most of the second half - Smith/Devoe/Deebo/Usher/Howard - is our best lineup most nights - definitely the best offensively.
Khalid played really good defense - but has to make some open shots. Miami was sagging off him and Howard - daring them to shoot ... you don't thing ACC teams will do the same?
---- Most of the threes he took were wide open ... none really close to going in
Usher can shoot it well - did not tonight.
Parham would likely have made a difference on both ends with these matchups.

Very disappointed - the big thing for me is do they learn from this
-- The second line was frankly horrible in the first half (Smith/Deebo/Kelly/Saba) ... Smith and Deebo were very good in the second half.
-- Howard played well ... not great but if we get that every night from him it's all we can hope for there. Saba is not ready for ACC play yet.