Time to look forward to next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think this season is a loss. We had our chances, we fumbled those games away. The offense is too careless and CPJ is too bull headed to change what he's doing. So, I am already looking forward to next year. Some questions.

1. Will there be a QB change? It seems the current QB has hit the ceiling of his skills and ability. Do we have a QB with a higher ceiling?

2. Will the D continue to improve? What area(s) need the more work?

3. Will be ever hire a ST coach? I mean, ST only cost us 2 games, so far, this season.

4. Can we get some depth in the DL and OL spots? To me, we seem pretty thin on both.

I welcome other questions/concerns/ideas.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
#1 Marshall being a sr now will be gone. imo there 2 that will have a higher ceiling! #2 yes the experience in this new systym will pay off! #3 Who knows #4 The depth on both lines are growing right now!

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think this season is a loss. We had our chances, we fumbled those games away. The offense is too careless and CPJ is too bull headed to change what he's doing. So, I am already looking forward to next year. Some questions.

1. Will there be a QB change? It seems the current QB has hit the ceiling of his skills and ability. Do we have a QB with a higher ceiling?

3. Will be ever hire a ST coach? I mean, ST only cost us 2 games, so far, this season.

4. Can we get some depth in the DL and OL spots? To me, we seem pretty thin on both.

Re:#3: we did have one and then he didn't retain him...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I’m resigned to the idea that 2019 will be a continuation of 2017 and 2018. If this year isn’t CPJ’s last season, next season will likely be his last season. How good is anybody when they know they will retire in a year? If CPJ is fired after this season, we will likely have a new coach and offensive scheme which will mean that we will be year one of a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm having it both ways; that is, I'm not completely giving up on this year but I am using the hope of a better 2019 to cushion the crap of this year.

What this year has shown me is that no matter how good our line is, if we can't throw a little, we struggle against teams that we play every year. If we get a guy who can throw as the starter next year, things might be looking up.

Didn't PJ have rare PJ praise for M Carter? We need at least one superior receiver to go with a QB who can throw it. Plenty of good O linemen return. Near wipeout at A back, but there appears to be young talent.

I think Woody is the real deal, but losing all three linemen is going to be a tough situation. I have no idea if there is a pass rusher waiting in the wings.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Ok, to take these one at a time:

1. Of course. TaQuon is a senior. I'm betting on either Lucas or Graham, but only spring and fall will tell. All the candidates have high ceilings, though, except for Graham, most can't run like TaQuon.

2. It already has. I think we will be pretty good by the end of the season and that we'll be better, albeit younger, next year.

3. One, I think. The deep fumble against Duke was a freshman mistake. But then he is the fastest man on the team. That'll take care of itself with experience. The kicking is now in good hands. So, I doubt we'll hire anybody to have the job exclusively.

4. We already do. Andrew being hurt didn't help against Duke, but the OL's problem wasn't lack of depth. Next year with the new kids (Smith, Clark, DeFoor, Tuefele, Mckeehan) coming up and The Twins back we should be ok in OL depth. As for DL, I think we are already three deep there with decent players. Replacing Saint-Amour will be tough, but we have candidates.

Deleted member 2897

This is hilarious. I know my comment is going to sound rude, but come on man. You're writing off almost half the year? You're asking if we're going to change our QB next year when our starter is a Senior?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
How many more effing threads are we going to get about next year? FFS let's see what happens in the FIVE remaining games. Jeez do y'all throw your hands up at work when things aren't clicking at 100%??????
There will be nothing else to do on the Swarm after the UGAG game;) I know i'll probably start a 2019 off season thread:LOL:

1) There has to be. Hopefully it will be to JG or Lucas. We need to air it out more, for so many reasons.
2) Hopefully.
3) It's only cost us 1 game. We seem to have at least a PK who is somewhat reliable.
4) We've never had depth here so No, we can't.

2019 doesn't look good, with trips to Clemson, Miami, and Duke being certain losses, along with VPI and mutts. Could be an ugly retirement year for ol' CPJ.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need something to create excitement and hope for our program. What we are talking about now is more of the same and no hope for improvement. We must get the right coach to turns things around. I would even take PJ if I thought he could change but I don't think he can do that. Just spending money is not enough. Look what has happened at Texas,Tennessee, florida, FSU, UCLA. They have money and facilities but it takes a good coach that can recruit and prepare their team. It will be a hard sell for TStan with the current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.