Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In case you didn't know this, it's impossible to win a game when you don't outscore your opponent...

Semantics aside you know exactly what I meant. There are two methods of outscoring people. Method 1, you get in score races and hope you never miss a turn and win a high scoring 1 possession game. Method 2 you have a defense that prevents the other team from scoring.

in 2014 we definitely were doing the former. With our primary defense being time of possession. That's what made the turnovers hurt so much you were not stopping our offense.

Chan Gailey's teams were built around the latter concept. Score 10 prevent them from scoring play conservative.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Semantics aside you know exactly what I meant. There are two methods of outscoring people. Method 1, you get in score races and hope you never miss a turn and win a high scoring 1 possession game. Method 2 you have a defense that prevents the other team from scoring.

in 2014 we definitely were doing the former. With our primary defense being time of possession. That's what made the turnovers hurt so much you were not stopping our offense.

Chan Gailey's teams were built around the latter concept. Score 10 prevent them from scoring play conservative.
First of all, look no further than the 2006 ACC championshop against Wake as an example of boring Chan football.

Second of all, if you are winning games, who cares whether its high scoring offense or strong defense that got you there? The point is to win games, not earn stype points.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
First of all, look no further than the 2006 ACC championshop against Wake as an example of boring Chan football.

Second of all, if you are winning games, who cares whether its high scoring offense or strong defense that got you there? The point is to win games, not earn stype points.

My post was answering why we felt the lack of pass rush even in wins. I agree winning is winning, but our offense in 2014 made up for only really having gotsis as a DL threat.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Your first and second points contradict each other. In 2014, just like in 2006, we lost the ACC championship game. So if "who cares" applies, then why do you criticize Chan for the style of football?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

Never forget Wake locking down Calvin Johnson in the 2nd half when NFL teams couldn't lol

If there isn't noticeable improvement yes CGC should be on the hot seat going into the following year, I can't see tech being able to let him go after this year though. Lets just hope the transfers make a big difference we make a bowl and we continue to build from there.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Your first and second points contradict each other. In 2014, just like in 2006, we lost the ACC championship game. So if "who cares" applies, then why do you criticize Chan for the style of football?
Who cares only applies if we are winning. If we are losing, then style points matter. Keep up!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Never forget Wake locking down Calvin Johnson in the 2nd half when NFL teams couldn't lol

If there isn't noticeable improvement yes CGC should be on the hot seat going into the following year, I can't see tech being able to let him go after this year though. Lets just hope the transfers make a big difference we make a bowl and we continue to build from there.
Regardless of GC future record we have him for 7 years. Tech can't afford to fire him ( and shouldn't) until his contract is up. Let's hope we get competitive real fast.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Because he deserves criticism for having such a terrible offense and allowing Wake to shut down Calvin. It’s not so much style as sucking so bad in that game.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Because he deserves criticism for having such a terrible offense and allowing Wake to shut down Calvin. It’s not so much style as sucking so bad in that game.
Chan would have been our coach for a long time if he had hired a good OC. We had the money to do it, but he would not let go of the offense. Pride goeth before the fall.

I didn't say that he didn't deserve criticism. The point was that the poster took inconsistent positions.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Chan would have been our coach for a long time if he had hired a good OC. We had the money to do it, but he would not let go of the offense. Pride goeth before the fall.

I didn't say that he didn't deserve criticism. The point was that the poster took inconsistent positions.

There is some irony that we actually did run almsot a modern spread in reggie's freshman year even if we didn't have a good record. Because they wanted to keep it simple for him and let him be athletic so there was a lot of read option plays and a form of RPO (not like it is now but basically one read or take off cam newton ****)

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
This is Collin's first real year on the clock imo. It's time to bury the asterisk in the sense that he's now liable for his performance, but you're not going to realistically make any decisions about that performance for another 2-3 years

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
IMO we are in the cat bird's seat either way due to recruiting. If he bolts for either reason then the shelves are stocked (though 1x transfer rule).

Remember Collin's first full class were freshmen last year. The portal has been a huge boon, especially this last off season. Usually I'd say a rational fan would give the guy till his first class are juniors/RS soph. But the transfers make me think this season will give us a good idea of the potential. May not show up in Ws and LS but should be more competitive.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
IMO we are in the cat bird's seat either way due to recruiting. If he bolts for either reason then the shelves are stocked (though 1x transfer rule).

Remember Collin's first full class were freshmen last year. The portal has been a huge boon, especially this last off season. Usually I'd say a rational fan would give the guy till his first class are juniors/RS soph. But the transfers make me think this season will give us a good idea of the potential. May not show up in Ws and LS but should be more competitive.
If we can break even, we'll break even against the 18th toughest schedule in the country.

ESPN FPI ranks college football's 25 toughest schedules (247sports.com)

... Schedules weren't created equally in the ACC this season and Georgia Tech got the short end of the stick. The Yellow Jackets play Clemson, Miami and Notre Dame away from Atlanta and end the season with their annual-rivalry showdown with Georgia. That's arguably three national championship contenders on the slate for a team just trying to get to six wins and a bowl game.

There's North Carolina, Pitt and Boston College at home too, a trio of opponents who won't go away lightly. The Yellow Jackets could be an improved football team this fall, but not have the record to show for it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Asterisk should never have been or be in place. It's not like the players that made the transition had only played 3-0 offense or only practiced
against all of their lives. Nor that tackling or catching the ball had changed overnight only for us and no one else.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Asterisk should never have been or be in place. It's not like the players that made the transition had only played 3-0 offense or only practiced
against all of their lives. Nor that tackling or catching the ball had changed overnight only for us and no one else.
No such thing as an asterisk anyway. The rest of your post is ridiculous.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210603-132227.jpg
    Screenshot_20210603-132227.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 19