Time to break in a new uniform thread - 2022 edition

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So would we consider them a wanna-be Clemson? LOL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nah. Erk Russell went to auburn as a player and he left uga after they stiffed him (he was coach in waiting but dooley stuck around because of hershel). When he started the program he called over to auburn and got some old equipment. They didn't have money to paint the blue helmets they were able to buy so they just stuck tape down the middle of it. Russell basically built their traditions from the ground up. Beautiful Eagle Creek (drainage ditch behind the practice area), Bought couple yellow school busses and drove them to their games, (clemsons bus ride came after the paulson stadium ride that they did). true use of GATA as a motto (he made it up before a uga vs tech game but uga didn't really use it after he left until after he won a championship at southern).

So Clemson light is not really correct. More like built a championship program from absolutly nothing in 3 years and won th championship in his second season with at level competition. and then repeated it. Then was in the championship again 2 years later and lost then won it a year later for 3 NCs within 7 years of the program not existing since 1942.

To add they then one NC the year after Erk retired from coaching with Stowers when he was promoted

Last edited:

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Newsflash! We’ve worn blue in NY6 affiliate game or championship games when we are the home team
aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDA4LzEyLzE5MzkzMTkuanBlZw.jpeg

images

460941980.0.jpg
I agree. Blue is big game/championship/ bowl look

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Nah. Erk Russell went to auburn as a player and he left uga after they stiffed him (he was coach in waiting but dooley stuck around because of hershel). When he started the program he called over to auburn and got some old equipment. They didn't have money to paint the blue helmets they were able to buy so they just stuck tape down the middle of it. Russell basically built their traditions from the ground up. Beautiful Eagle Creek (drainage ditch behind the practice area), Bought couple yellow school busses and drove them to their games, (clemsons bus ride came after the paulson stadium ride that they did). true use of GATA as a motto (he made it up before a uga vs tech game but uga didn't really use it after he left until after he won a championship at southern).

So Clemson light is not really correct. More like built a championship program from absolutly nothing in 3 years and won th championship in his second season with at level competition. and then repeated it. Then was in the championship again 2 years later and lost then won it a year later for 3 NCs within 7 years of the program not existing since 1942.

To add they then one NC the year after Erk retired from coaching with Stowers when he was promoted
Left off the back to back (and nearly 3peat) national titles that CPJ earned them....

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
The Tennessee comparison is completely lame and disingenuous. There's a reason you had to pull it out and it wasn't obvious to anyone - those are one-off alternate jerseys, that they don't wear in big games. They stick to their brand of orange and white 99% of the time.

I don't mind the blue jerseys as an ALTERNATE once a year, and when we do I think this new jersey is definitely sharp, but definitely not in big games where you should be showcasing the brand.. Instead we've started wearing blue at least half of the time. This has more to do with branding than anything else, we have one of the best and most unique color schemes in college sports and we can't help but constantly dilute it. Historically, all of our branding and merchandising up until the mid 70s was all gold and white. Then GT branding completely effed it up for 15-20 years with all kinds of blues and blacks and yellows before we attempted to "get back to our roots" under O'Leary (with the greatest GT uniforms of all time in the late 90s in the Hamilton era). Didn't wear blue once under CGOL and only one time with CCG (2006 ACCCG). CPJ loved the Navy and you couldn't take him out of his Navy polos, but we still only wore it once a year on the field while he was here.

But that's just like, my opinion, and you will have your opinion, and we'll both be right.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
TStan/Adidas have elevated blue to an equal with gold and white, and in many examples it is pretty much dominant. That's a huge branding mistake and missed opportunity, and it always has been. But that's just like, my opinion, and I realize that minds won't change, you will have your opinion, and we'll both be right.

Go Jackets

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Tennessee wore their black unis and Smoke grey unis in their biggest games vs UGA & UF

Yes. Once a year. Not bowl games. But I don't really care to mirror Tennessee either, only to say that they are obviously much better and more consistent with branding with their crazy pumpkin orange

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Once a year. Not bowl games. But I don't really care to mirror Tennessee either, only to say that they are obviously much better and more consistent with branding with their crazy pumpkin orange
You specifically said BIG GAMES. Not bowl games. And yes you said a once a year thing but 2 games were cited. Dont change your argument when its disproven. Your not the only one, but this example is just obvious not to call out.

We (the fan base) can't do anything about the uniform choice for the games. If GT came out in Clempson Purple and F$U Black and I would still cheer for them as would most of us. There is no need to complain about something that won't change.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
As many know, I live in Michigan and I can tell you that Michigan St has just as much “tradition” If not more than we do and they switch up uniform designs and word fonts every few years, along with wearing lime green, or dark green with gold or lite green like the did up until the mid 90’s and not a single fan I know bitches and cries about their “traditional look” or says we look like Eastern Michigan. They actually get excited about it and understand the players and recruits love it and it helps draw younger sidewalk fans. They don’t have this high and mighty, we have to look like we did 75 years ago, we above anything new ****. Get over it. If the kids busting their *** every fall love it than I’m all for it. If you want tradition, be a Penn St or Bama or USC fan. Hell, even Michigan and texas
and Oklahoma wear alternate unis anymore.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
You specifically said BIG GAMES. Not bowl games. And yes you said a once a year thing but 2 games were cited. Dont change your argument when its disproven. Your not the only one, but this example is just obvious not to call out.

We (the fan base) can't do anything about the uniform choice for the games. If GT came out in Clempson Purple and F$U Black and I would still cheer for them as would most of us. There is no need to complain about something that won't change.

I didn't change anything, he was right about that minor thing and I can acknowledge that, but if you want to focus on that to invalidate my opinion (which I also acknowledge is also just an opinion), then have at it.

There are a great deal many things that we as fans can't do anything about, lots of things beyond uniforms and branding and merchandising... what good would a message board be if we didn't spout all kinds of opinions about things that are completely outside of our control?

Go Jackets

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
As many know, I live in Michigan and I can tell you that Michigan St has just as much “tradition” If not more than we do and they switch up uniform designs and word fonts every few years, along with wearing lime green, or dark green with gold or lite green like the did up until the mid 90’s and not a single fan I know bitches and cries about their “traditional look” or says we look like Eastern Michigan. They actually get excited about it and understand the players and recruits love it and it helps draw younger sidewalk fans. They don’t have this high and mighty, we have to look like we did 75 years ago, we above anything new ****. Get over it. If the kids busting their *** every fall love it than I’m all for it. If you want tradition, be a Penn St or Bama or USC fan. Hell, even Michigan and texas
and Oklahoma wear alternate unis anymore.
I'd like to be those teams. For the most part those teams win and are well known because they do not change. You didn't even list uGa, LSU, Ohio State. They stick with tradition and win! Because they don't change their brand is well know. The only exception to this is Oregon and changing things is their brand. But for me we had a constant traditional uniform template for over 60s years until Russell change it in 2008. And yes they wear alternates once in a while but those are one game a season things.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to be those teams. For the most part those teams win and are well known because they do not change. You didn't even list uGa, LSU, Ohio State. They stick with tradition and win! Because they don't change their brand is well know. The only exception to this is Oregon and changing things is their brand. But for me we had a constant traditional uniform template for over 60s years until Russell change it in 2008. And yes they wear alternates once in a while but those are one game a season things.
Agree

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

Okay, now that I've read this, all I can think about is Clempson's uniform beginnings. Their uniforms directly came from Auburn also from someone who used to be in the football department. Of course, they took the nickname too. Not meant in any way to slight GSU as I'm really fascinated by learning their beginnings, just some interesting parallels with Clempson. Also really cool that Clempson got their bus ride tradition from GSU. Thank you for the insight!

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
Which is sad for sure. Not having an actual “uniform” is just so strange
I've always been impressed by some teams, and I'll just pick FSU, who manage to keep their uniform consistent across colors. All teams fluctuate between shades of colors, but for FSU they don't mix them on the same uniform. Whatever gold they use is carried through helmet to jersey to pants, and even shoes. I don't know if this is a Nike thing or what. For some reason, we have to have different shades of gold on almost everything (excuse being that material types are different). I disagree, if other people can do it, we should be able to also. Heck, we can't even get consistent shades on the same uniform piece (e.g., numbers and stripes on the jersey).

DaDodd

Jolly Good Fellow
For those who don't say we have have a traditional uniform history, please see the photos below. And yes I am a uniform nerd. These pictures are only of the traditional template with some slight variations. I did not include the Russell templates from 2008 to 2015. Those were decent football performance years but dark uniform years. Remember the bubble wrap? The only tradition kept from 2008 from 2015 was wearing white at home. I am also not including the Adidas years 2018-present besides the blackwatch unis from 2020. Tech has traditionally always worn white at home. I will not be talking about shades of gold in this post. While important, that's a different discussion. I'm mainly focusing on the overall template. Here's a Tech uniform history lesson (minus 2008-2015).

THIS IS TECH'S TRADITIONAL LOOK! GWG There only a few slit differences over the years. One is the sleeve stripe pattern changed from bwgwb to bwg in the 1970. This bwg stripe pattern remained same until 2007 and brought back in 2016-2017. Tech also wore white helmets in from 1965-1966 and 1968-1971. Tech wore gold helmets wit ha bwb stipe pattern from 1967-1968 and 1972-1973. The stripe pattern on the gold pants was bwb from its inception to around 1992 and again in 2016-2017. The pattern then changed to bwgwb in 1992 until 2007. Gold numbers were only around from 1998-2002. Russell played with the number fronts for the 1999 gator bowl and had different fonts for the 2000-2001 and 2002 seasons. Tech then added "YELLOW JACKETS" across the chest in 2004-2007. While this may sound like a lot of differences it's really not. The overall look of the uniform is the same.
GT White1_page-0001.jpg
GT White 2_page-0001.jpg

Tech as worn white tops and bottoms on occasions. Some in the 1950s, from 1992-1994, and 2016-2017. Again I am not including the Russell uniforms from 2008-2015.
GT All White_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn gold uniforms early on but were only worn on rare occasions until the mid 1960s. Tech wore gold jerseys with white numbers and blue numbers from around 1965-1971. These were worn with white pants with the bgb stipe pattern and mostly with the white helmet but the gold helmet was also used. The most of these gold jerseys has a bwb sleeve cuff stripe pattern but some others didn't. After the NCAA home uniform rule was changed in 1994 Tech brought back the gold uniform and was used as the home jersey for the 1994 season. In 1995 they went back to wearing white at home. Gold jerseys were only worn for bowl games or the the away team chose to wear white from 1997 to 2002 with white remaining the primary home jersey. From 2003 to 2007 Tech wore gold jerseys at home. "YELLOW JACKETS" was added to the chest in 2004. The gold jerseys has a bgw sleeve stripe pattern with the sleeve cuff being blue and a single white stripe above it.
GT Gold_page-0001.jpg

In 1980 the NCAA made a rule that all home teams must wear a dark pigment jersey. This eliminated wearing white OR GOLD jerseys for home games. That is why Tech started wearing black and navy. Because they had to. If not for this rule we probably would have never seen Tech wear black or navy jerseys consistently. Tech wore black jerseys has a gbw sleeve stipe pattern and were worn with the gold pants and gold helmets. Obviously special defensive players had a black "GT"s and a single think black stripe on their helmet as a part of the Blackwatch defence.
GT Black_page-0001.jpg

Tech has worn navy blue jerseys going way back but when Dodd came in Tech mostly wore white. There were a few games under Dodd were Tech wore navy blue jerseys in the same template as their white uniforms with gold pants. Trying to go back to traditional secondary colors, Tech changed their black jerseys to navy blue around 1988/1989. These jerseys also has the gbw sleeve stripe pattern. Tech wore the blue jerseys with white pants and gold helmets and are best known for the 1990 National Championship year. From 1992 to 1993 Tech wore gold pants with the blue jerseys. After the NCAA rule change in 1994 Tech no longer had to wear dark pigmented home jerseys and so they Tech stopped wearing them. They were brought back for the 2006 ACC championship and the the 1990 anniversary game (although the pants had the wrong stripe pattern and the jerseys didn't have shoulder numbers. Typical Russell).
GT Navy_page-0001.jpg

Tech had a constant template and overall uniform for decades until Russell got cute and ruined it. Tech had to wear black and navy due to rules outside of their control. If Tech never won a natty in the blues we may have never seen them again. I am glad we on that natty and I think we should where the GBW at least one game a year or bowl games. But that's it. GGW should be worn for one or two games a year. (Homecoming, UGA at home, or when an away team chooses to wear white) But that's it. All other games home and way should be GWG. Because that has been our traditionally identity. Keep it simple.