Time to break in a new uniform thread - 2022 edition

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yep. All during the 1950s and early 1960s, Tech wore plain gold helmets with white jerseys, black trim and gold pants. About 1966, Tech started wearing white helmets with white jerseys and gold pants. Don't know the particulars but it was a bit before my time.
Switch to white helmets started in 1965, they tell me around game 5 and through the bowl game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Switch to white helmets started in 1965, they tell me around game 5 and through the bowl game.
Good catch! I remember watching the Sun Bowl in 1965 on television and Georgia Tech was in the white jerseys with the gold pants and white helmets. Tech was playing Texas Tech who featured Heisman Trophy winner Donnie Anderson but it was Lenny Snow who put on the show that day in a memorable upset. Typical Dodd bowl win. He lost his last one the next year against Florida but he was very tough to beat in a bowl game. Bear Bryant used to complain to Coach Dodd that he would win 9 or 10 games in the regular season but all Alabama fans wanted to talk about was losing the "damn bowl game".

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Good catch! I remember watching the Sun Bowl in 1965 on television and Georgia Tech was in the white jerseys with the gold pants and white helmets. Tech was playing Texas Tech who featured Heisman Trophy winner Donnie Anderson but it was Lenny Snow who put on the show that day in a memorable upset. Typical Dodd bowl win. He lost his last one the next year against Florida but he was very tough to beat in a bowl game. Bear Bryant used to complain to Coach Dodd that he would win 9 or 10 games in the regular season but all Alabama fans wanted to talk about was losing the "damn bowl game".
That game against Texas Tech was the first time I watched football on a color TV and the game that cemented my love for Tech. Sophomore Snow outplayed Anderson who all the pro scouts came to see.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Home - GWG
Whiteout - WWW
Home alt (1 gm) - WGW
Home alt (1 gm) - GBW

Away - GWW, WWG, GWG

All white/gold jerseys with gold/white numbers and dark navy trim. No more Navy numbers on white or gold.

NEVER - WBW, WBG, GBG, blue pants, blackwatch (DONE)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Home - GWG
Whiteout - WWW
Home alt (1 gm) - WGW
Home alt (1 gm) - GBW

Away - GWW, WWG, GWG

All white/gold jerseys with gold/white numbers and dark navy trim. No more Navy numbers on white or gold.

NEVER - WBW, WBG, GBG, blue pants, blackwatch (DONE)
Totally agree with this.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be honest, I have always been partial to the Chan era gold jerseys with the gold helmets and black trim. Seems there was a small lettering "YELLOW JACKETS" on the front. The white pants had a gold stripe with black trim. Classic look but understandably people would complain about there being 3 shades of gold and what not. No wonder, Coach Johnson observed once that he had never seen a fan base so obsessed with uniforms. IIWII

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"Coach Johnson observed once that he had never seen a fan base so obsessed with uniforms."
I agree with CPJ. But sometimes it's all we've got to get excited about.............
I don’t remember the exact quote but something about the time his players wanted to wear mustard jerseys with mustard pants and he said, “You’ll look like a bunch of French fries 🍟 on the field.”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don’t remember the exact quote but something about the time his players wanted to wear mustard jerseys with mustard pants and he said, “You’ll look like a bunch of French fries 🍟 on the field.”

Supersize that?

There's one color combination that Johnson won't allow his players to wear this weekend: gold pants and gold jerseys.

"Looks like a giant French fry," Johnson joked.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Wins are wins. Losses are losses. Uniforms are just a backdrop.
This is gonna sound harsher than I intend, but is this supposed to be enlightening? I think most of us on here understand there hasn’t been a win or a loss in 2022. Do you think people on here believe uniform styles = wins or losses?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I get the people who want GWG or WGW or WGG or GGW or WWG or some other combination of two colors that are so close on the color spectrum that the blend together if one is not mustard. I agree that our colors or Old Gold and White. I agree with it's "Up with the White & Gold." But blue/black are here. Navy is better than black to me. I know others feel differently. Regardless, I think people worry way too much about what color our uniforms are People are way too sensitive when we have a honey-comb on our helmet and jersey (yellow jackets don't make honey, they live in the ground). Wasps and hornets both have hexagonal close-packed planes. Honey-bees do too. Yellow Jackets don't.

Yellowjackets do not produce honey, nor do they build honeycomb hives. Yellowjackets attack and feed on honey bees, then hijack their honeycombs. Instead of producing honey, the primary purpose of a yellowjacket is to seek out other small critters, often garden pests, to eat, making them a friend of the gardener. To me, that's a bad-*** critter.

But, you know what? Who the f*** cares? Let the damn players wear whatever the f*** they want and let's go out and cheer them on to victory (or whatever we're going to see this fall). Never concede defeat until we've lost, right?

Okay, I've gotten into the bourbon again. Sorry guys. Nothing to see here. Keep the traffic flowing. No need to comment.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
This is gonna sound harsher than I intend, but is this supposed to be enlightening? I think most of us on here understand there hasn’t been a win or a loss in 2022. Do you think people on here believe uniform styles = wins or losses?
I guess that depends on who is reading it. The point was pretty simple and straight forward. It was not meant to be enlightening but a point that uniforms are not as important as some make them out to be.

kalld12

Banned
You know we are really searching for something we can be proud of, and excited about our program, when we are addressing uniform colors and combinations.
I mean news is slow right now so you're dang right. A new uni combo always gets me excited and i'm sure i'm not alone in that.