Tim Byerly...

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
...almost willed us to a win. JT was clearly not playing at full strength, and he made some uncharacteristic poor plays. JT is still our starter, and I don't at all expect a QB controversy. But, let's give respect where it is due.

After watching those last 2 drives, I can say:
1) Byerly has the skills to run the offense well, should JT be hurt or unavailable. That is quite a luxury to have for a backup.
2) If we had somehow got that onside kick, I genuinely believe we would have won. Despite our 3 turnovers, missed FG, back-breaking penalties all night, and tons of calls that went against us, I was confident that we could win with Byerly if we could have gotten the ball back.

Good game, Tim Byerly. You laid it all out there, and you won some respect today.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I thought Tim played well. I think the mistakes JT made passing were in part due to not being able to plant his foot.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Best play of the day IMO was when Byerly half-body-slammed the guy with one arm as he was being tackled. :hilarious:
He is quite the gamer. Glad we can say we have 2 QBs that we arent afriad to put in there. Our season isnt over due to an injury or a nicked up body. I was impressed with how he led us down the field through the air. Im very excited our offense in the future. Hope our D improves with them the next 2 years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Byerly is a good QB. JT is better to start but there comes a point when JT gets hurt or tired that Byerly is a better option until JT recovers.

This lays out why I think we should play Byerly more: http://gtswarm.com/threads/give-the-backup-qb-meaningful-snaps-in-most-games.3082/#post-61660

Yesterday we saw the benefit of a fresh QB. The Duke D was tired and it showed. I agree we would have had a good chance to win with Byerly if we got one of the two on sides kicks.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Byerly played very well. He filled his role and did his job. He was definitely one of the highlights of a day that featured a lot of negatives like penalties. turnovers, poor offense and at times poor defense. We just can not make that many mistakes and expect to beat any body.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope we all appreciate how difficult it is to do what TB did those last 2 series. The poor guy hasn't hardly seen the field this season and then he is asked to go in and engineer three scores in the final 5 minutes by flinging it all over the field. I don't think he could have possibly done any better than he did. His poise was just phenomenal and his style of play presented an interesting contrast to JT. A couple of plays he just physically imposed his will in ways that JT couldn't.

He was a really shining star in an otherwise disappointing day. The challenge he was asked to face was a different one than running the option all game, however. The defense was in prevent and he had to chuck it around. Plus, at that point in time, we had absolutely nothing to lose. Sometimes there is LESS pressure that way. In any case, I am really proud of him right now.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The only reason I even stayed the last five minutes was to see Byerly get some snaps and he made it worthwhile. I was just wanting to see some plays and then somehow he gave us a glimmer of hope at the end. We should all be proud.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well glad to know we have him another year! Not sure why I thought he was a senior, maybe because he was here last year?

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
It would have been fun to see what would have happened if we recover the on sides kick. Major props to TB and to Waller. He showed some desire and made some plays. If we can finish the 2nd half of the regular season at least 4-2, it will be a good year.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I was glad to see Byerly step up. He was a bright spot on a dismal afternoon.

JT has done some great things for us, and will continue to do so. But he's a sophomore , and will make some mistakes. We live and die by our QB play...it's great when its working but so frustrating when he's off.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
It would have been fun to see what would have happened if we recover the on sides kick. Major props to TB and to Waller. He showed some desire and made some plays. If we can finish the 2nd half of the regular season at least 4-2, it will be a good year.
Waller had a great matchup on his corner all day. We tend to only look right when throwing Byerly changed that up. Waller usually has a great matchup definitely need to go there more often.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......... A couple of plays he just physically imposed his will in ways that JT couldn't. ......................

I think JT imposed his will when he was fresh. But JT was more erratic on the passes than Byerly. JT was too tired / knicked up to do much imposing after the first series of the second half. By the third series, JT's body language on the field told me he was toast. I think JT is one great competitor and KNOWS he can make a play at any time. But the chances go down the more tired you are. And the mistakes go up.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As usual, Tim took us to two scores without looking all that spectacular on either one.

I think he has a better touch on his throws then JT, though he's nowhere near as much of a running threat. Of course, some of that is because he doesn't have the speed to drag out plays and, as a consequence, sets up more quickly. The second interception was all due to that. It also is a matter of game experience for JT. Byerly is the kind of player who doesn't really need much game time to make the best of his talents; he knows what he can do and does it. JT has a higher ceiling and will show that, I think, as the season progresses, but there will be occasional trouble spots.

Still, if JT can't go against UNC, I think the O its in good hands.