Tim Byerly -Update

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping he could come back next year. The good thing is that he has a meaningful degree, and will have success in whatever he does next.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If this guy doesn't epitomize what we want and need in a player at GT, nobody does. What an A #1 class act! It's a shame the NCAA, in it's infinite wisdom (sic), won't let him play another year for GT. Seems like we constantly get the shaft from them. I wonder what in the world is the reasoning behind their decision.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This young man exemplifies what I am most proud of in all our student/athletes. Tim I wish the very best for you in all your future endeavors.

"Finally, Coach Johnson. You have been a life coach to me ever since my very first snap in spring practice of 2012 (of which I fumbled). I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world. My comfort and peace is in large part due to your ability in helping me realize what it means to be a selfless team player, regardless of what the capacity may be. I cannot wait to apply that mentality to the business world. I will never forget you pointing at me on goal line/short yardage situations and saying, "You're in. Heavy Right 28 Solid Rebel.""

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish we had a hundred more players with his attitude toward the program! He was sorely missed this season when we needed some tough yards or when Thomas was to banged up to be in there. Only positive of him not being back will be some more snaps for the youngsters who will have to replace Thomas after the upcoming season.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Gutted to hear he can't play another year. This makes no sense but I'm glad to see he's taking it in stride.

Thank you for your efforts on the Flats, Tim. You were an incredibly valuable player for us these past few years.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Tim, you are a class act. It is great to know that I support such a great group of student athletes, even though things did not go well this season. You and the team always have my support as you move into the rest of your life.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
This young man exemplifies what I am most proud of in all our student/athletes. Tim I wish the very best for you in all your future endeavors.

"Finally, Coach Johnson. You have been a life coach to me ever since my very first snap in spring practice of 2012 (of which I fumbled). I would give anything to play one more season under you, but I feel more than prepared to enter the real world. My comfort and peace is in large part due to your ability in helping me realize what it means to be a selfless team player, regardless of what the capacity may be. I cannot wait to apply that mentality to the business world. I will never forget you pointing at me on goal line/short yardage situations and saying, "You're in. Heavy Right 28 Solid Rebel.""
The statement was so beautifully done. It's what I would have expected from him. I'm not sure folks realize how hard this has been on Tim. It broke his heart getting injured, and he so badly wanted to come back.

My hope is that all the conspiracy-theorists who crawl out of the woodwork every time a player hiccups will read this. His thanks to CPJ speak to a relationship between coach/player that some wouldn't think is likely. Guys who come here and take care of their business, and keep their heads on straight, can have a meaningful experience.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Not the news I wanted to hear, but that's how things are sometimes. I wish we had 10 more like Tim on the roster (maybe we do).

I truly believe if he had not gotten hurt, the season would have turned out differently.