Tight End stuff

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think a TE as part of our unbalanced set would be great. One receiver on the weak side with our typical AB alignment would be a great formation to run or pass out of. Especially with the speed JT has. A run to the weak side followed by a pass to the TE. I could see this giving a defense fits.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of ways to use a guy like Klock. I can see him lined up like an AB in goal line situations. Send him in motion and have him crash the LOS as another lead blocker on a modified QB follow play. Can you imagine a LB having to deal with a 270 pounder with a running head start?

Happens all the time when a guard pulls on a counter or power play. Dont need to imagine it too much. We just need to put in some more big bodies for a change of pace in this offense like a TE would bring.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
With Travin Henry's move to DE, I anticipate that he'll add weight. I could see occasionally pulling him to the offensive side as a TE, as well. If he were to get to 250/260 as a 4-3 DE, he's make a monster blocking TE on goal-line or short yardage plays.

A big AB (260/270), who knows how to run, coming around the end on short yardage as a lead blocker or on his own would be awesome. When Lucas Cox was in that role at the goal line and it was a 1-on-1 with the WOL or SS, he won every time. Love to see that option available again.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Maybe they need to line him up at B-back some when they run midline. Watching Justin Thomas a little bit this year, he looks electric on the outside in space, but he falls over if someone breaths on him inside. With his slight frame, teams are going to force him to run inside, like they did Tevin. We'd better get a whole lot better blocking at G-C-G and B-back.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Three years ago at Southern, Monken designated a separate coach for O-line to work with TEs. Moved a couple kids there and recruited one or two. They used it like many of you are saying. Most everything Monk did on offense worked out pretty well, so I'll say this can only help.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
If anything, I expect next year to employ as much vanilla triple option offense and as little experimental sets as possible. It's obvious Johnson didn't like the pistol/shotgun stuff
Fine with me. I don't care if we look exactly like Navy except on "roids".

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
If anything, I expect next year to employ as much vanilla triple option offense and as little experimental sets as possible. It's obvious Johnson didn't like the pistol/shotgun stuff
I don't think there's evidence of that. We backed off the pistol/gun when we had serious issues at the LOS that opening closer to LOS helped to mitigate. Sticking to a new strategy that is being poorly executed is not innovation, it's stupidity. I think most people who say CPJ is rottweiler stubborn haven't made much effort at evaluating execution.

From a strategic perspective, I think at least some of the gun stuff was meant to optimize for Vad's arm. JT may not have quite the same arm, but he's no rust hands either. It makes sense maybe not to run as many big pass focused plays, but JT's skills make using those sets a good idea some of the time. Consider if we had Nesbitt instead. Many of those plays just wouldn't make sense because they would expose weaknesses and remove strengths.

We have a long time to fix those LOS issues before next season. I think it'd be safe to say we'll achieve competence with vanilla TO stuff first, then new gun stuff. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that CPJ finds the gun stuff strategically unsound. I suspect we'll run the hell out of it if and when we can win with it. Whether that's opening game next year is up to what the coaches and players do until then.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If JT learns to make the right reads >70% of the time, there'll be nothing VANILLA about our option attack. This was the most "vanilla" year I've ever seen a Johnson offense have, and it contained more passing and less 3O. I would argue that we have barely scratched the surface of how effective the "triple-option" can be with a dynamite athlete running it who is also making the right reads. I'm convinced that 3/4 of the Tech fan base has no idea just how good this offense can be with skill guys like JT, Andrews, Autry, (maybe)Custis, Smelter...

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
GT used the TE position on occasion last season. I recall Waller and maybe an AB lining up there primarily as a blocker in short yardage situations.
The concept is not foreign to the offense.

We also lined up with an extra lineman multiple times. A TE would not be hard to imagine in short yardage and goal line situations.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If JT learns to make the right reads >70% of the time, there'll be nothing VANILLA about our option attack. This was the most "vanilla" year I've ever seen a Johnson offense have, and it contained more passing and less 3O. I would argue that we have barely scratched the surface of how effective the "triple-option" can be with a dynamite athlete running it who is also making the right reads. I'm convinced that 3/4 of the Tech fan base has no idea just how good this offense can be with skill guys like JT, Andrews, Autry, (maybe)Custis, Smelter...
I think most of us got some idea when we had skill guys like Dwyer, Nesbitt, Allen, Thomas. But, many seem to have forgotten.