Tight End stuff

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Listening to CPJ's interview today, he mentioned something about the possibility of adding TE into the mix. We have that Klock guy who we are projecting to the OL, but CPJ was hinting at adding in some TE stuff. Maybe coach Bryan Cook could be behind this? I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see this. It would be just one more thing for the defenses to worry about, is he blocking or is he a receiver. Not to say I am one of those people who insists that we need more of a passing attack and that this is why we haven't had much success lately (I think this rests squarely, with the exception of this past year, on the defense).

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Just did some research, turns out Cal Poly (Bryan Cook's last job) didn't employ a TE when he was there. Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but this still sounds like a promising idea.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
If anything, I expect next year to employ as much vanilla triple option offense and as little experimental sets as possible. It's obvious Johnson didn't like the pistol/shotgun stuff

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Bigbt: 32934 said:
If anything, I expect next year to employ as much vanilla triple option offense and as little experimental sets as possible. It's obvious Johnson didn't like the pistol/shotgun stuff[/quote

It'll be the oppossite

If anything, I expect next year to employ as much vanilla triple option offense and as little experimental sets as possible. It's obvious Johnson didn't like the pistol/shotgun stuff
I think you are exactly right. Less trickeration, and more pure option---if Thomas can handle it. I keep saying: there is a big reason JT did not win the starting job in the spring or at camp. He is not as good as Vad.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you are exactly right. Less trickeration, and more pure option---if Thomas can handle it. I keep saying: there is a big reason JT did not win the starting job in the spring or at camp. He is not as good as Vad.
I think the big reason JT didn't win the job probably had to do with Vad being here longer. *edit* also Johnson never declared, at least not from what I've read, that Vad was the clear cut winner in the QB competition. JT was in the thick of it with him even with the less experience.

Well I can agree with you here, but maybe in two or three years. who knows.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
GT used the TE position on occasion last season. I recall Waller and maybe an AB lining up there primarily as a blocker in short yardage situations.
The concept is not foreign to the offense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There are a lot of ways to use a guy like Klock. I can see him lined up like an AB in goal line situations. Send him in motion and have him crash the LOS as another lead blocker on a modified QB follow play. Can you imagine a LB having to deal with a 270 pounder with a running head start?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a lot of ways to use a guy like Klock. I can see him lined up like an AB in goal line situations. Send him in motion and have him crash the LOS as another lead blocker on a modified QB follow play. Can you imagine a LB having to deal with a 270 pounder with a running head start?
I'd probably have nightmares if I were a LB in that situation

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'm not opposed to tightend/big-a back sets in any sense
but I'm also thinking that Klock could be a darn good offensive tackle who helps us win a lot of games.