Tiers in the ACC

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think that there are 3, maybe 4, tiers in the ACC.

The idea of tiers in the ACC was raised in the Pat Hill thread, and I thought it deserved its own thread. As I've posted before, I like some of the "smart stats" from footballoutsiders.com. Their "official" ranking is based on a stat they call F/+ which combines their FEI and S&P+, the former emphasizing success per drive and the latter per play (with some per drive factor). Basically, these stats include only FBS games and only plays or drives during competitive time, i.e. not at the end of a half or in a blowout.

I averaged the F/+ scores of all FBS teams over the last 6 years and last 3 years and then calculated where each of the 125 teams ranks based on this 6 year and 3 year averages. In my mind, the 6 year average gives you a feel for the program and the 3 year average suggests where they are now. A big difference between the two could indicate either a short-term blip because of personnel or a major upswing or downswing. So, I then averaged the 6yr and 3 yr rankings for my measure of the the current strength of each program.

Tier 1a: FSU 6th
Tier 1b: CU 20th; VPI 23rd,

Tier 2: Lvll 34th, UNC 34th, d'ohU 35th, Pitt 37th, GT 38th

Tier 3: NCSt 63rd, Syr 64th, Duke 67th, BC 67th, UVA 75th, WF 80th

What do y'all think?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

The idea of tiers in the ACC was raised in the Pat Hill thread, and I thought it deserved its own thread. As I've posted before, I like some of the "smart stats" from footballoutsiders.com. Their "official" ranking is based on a stat they call F/+ which combines their FEI and S&P+, the former emphasizing success per drive and the latter per play (with some per drive factor). Basically, these stats include only FBS games and only plays or drives during competitive time, i.e. not at the end of a half or in a blowout.

I averaged the F/+ scores of all FBS teams over the last 6 years and last 3 years and then calculated where each of the 125 teams ranks based on this 6 year and 3 year averages. In my mind, the 6 year average gives you a feel for the program and the 3 year average suggests where they are now. A big difference between the two could indicate either a short-term blip because of personnel or a major upswing or downswing. So, I then averaged the 6yr and 3 yr rankings for my measure of the the current strength of each program.

What do y'all think?

I think you redefined the top tier into a Tier 1a and Tier 1B so you wouldn't have to admit we really are third tier! ;)

LOL, just yanking your chain.

What do y'all think?
Nothing short of freakin' brilliant.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Tier 1: FSU, Clem, Mia

Tier 2: VT, Louisville, GT

Tiers 3 & 4: The rest. These vary every couple of years so it's hard to separate them.

I think VT used to be Tier 1 but have dropped to Tier 2 recently. Miami is still Tier 1 in my mind because regardless of how they've played in recent years, they are still a big name school.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think you redefined the top tier into a Tier 1a and Tier 1B so you wouldn't have to admit we really are third tier! ;)

LOL, just yanking your chain.

LOL, it actually went the other way. I started with a bias that FSU, CU, and VPI were the top tier, and then concluded that maybe FSU really is a step above them.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Tier 1: FSU, Clem, Mia

Tier 2: VT, Louisville, GT

Tiers 3 & 4: The rest. These vary every couple of years so it's hard to separate them.

I think VT used to be Tier 1 but have dropped to Tier 2 recently. Miami is still Tier 1 in my mind because regardless of how they've played in recent years, they are still a big name school.
In no way shape or form does Miami belong in that first tier. Unless you want to make it tiered based on underachievement.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
In no way shape or form does Miami belong in that first tier. Unless you want to make it tiered based on underachievement.
I think my tier definition may be different from everyone else. My thought is this is how the teams are perceived on a general basis. Performance really has little to do with it. When people think of the ACC, the most prestigious schools football wise are these.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I think my tier definition may be different from everyone else. My thought is this is how the teams are perceived on a general basis. Performance really has little to do with it. When people think of the ACC, the most prestigious schools football wise are these.

If that's the case I'd flip VT and Miami.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like the tier ranking you did. It is historically correct from what I have seen. But I think that VT is going down. Blacksburg is a boring place and Beamer is getting doty.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like the tier ranking you did. It is historically correct from what I have seen. But I think that VT is going down. Blacksburg is a boring place and Beamer is getting doty.

You're right that VPI is on a downward trajectory. Their average ranking for the last 6 was 17 but 28th for the last 3. In other words, 2008-2010 were good years for them. On the flip side, Lou'llville was 46th over the last 6 and 22nd over the last 3. That's why I averaged these two numbers, because it's hard to know if the change reflects an actual negative (VPI) or positive (L'vlle) trends in the program or just particular personnel/coaching.