Tier 9: Yikes

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm just trying to understand what makes people believe Collins will win more than 3 or 4 games. We knew with Paul Johnson that when we had a losing season, we would bounce back and improve. We never had back to back losing seasons with CPJ. He was a proven winner and proved he could coach. I guess we'll see with Collins if he can coach. But his record so far is not good.

Stud QB and RB combo with a year under their belt and hopefully a full spring to get better, improved OL, immediate impact transfers, I could go on.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
As a fan. It was nice to attend two Orange Bowls in 5 years. We had not gone to a major bowl since the 1967 Orange Bowl. That includes when we were snubbed to play a mid teen ranked team in the Citrus Bowl. I thank CPJ for those experiences in Miami.

Huh? Both the Citrus and Gator were major bowls when we played in them in 90 and 98. They aren't now, but let’s not revise history.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
A better coach could have made the transition SO much less painful. It really is a poor reflection on his coaching capabilities. The talent on the team he took over was no where as bad as the results on the field. A complete embarrassment for GT. He lost to CITADEL and got blown out by Syracuse. Just no excuse for such terrible coaching.

Who is that coach?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm not tearing Collins down. I'm just stating the fact that he hasn't proven anything as a head coach yet. But some people on here think we are going to win 6 or 7 wins next season and are surprised when the media ranks us at the bottom. Catchy slogans and hype doesn't win games.
I would argue that this season in college football really wasn't that unusual. Clemson won the ACC. The same big time schools made the playoffs. Alabama won another national title. Just like every other year despite covid.
You're not wrong.

It's just that college football is very unpredictable year to year (outside of the top programs...you're spot on there!). But if there's one thing you can bank on, it is pre-season predictions about college football are dead wrong when it gets into who's going to finish 3-14 in a conference. This is the only reason to stay tuned to watch every year, imho.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Who is that coach?

frankly for all the moaning about Geoff Collins I haven't heard anyone ever throw out names of someone that was actually interested in the opening that we passed over.

maybe tony Elliot? But he seems to suffer from the Eric Bienemy problem, is his success due to his abilities or the entire program/does he call most of the plays?

if someone can name someone we actually should've hired (that we had a reasonable chance at) I'll eat my shorts. And no, Jeff Monken doesn't count because we were never sticking with the 3O

stech81

Helluva Engineer
frankly for all the moaning about Geoff Collins I haven't heard anyone ever throw out names of someone that was actually interested in the opening that we passed over.

maybe tony Elliot? But he seems to suffer from the Eric Bienemy problem, is his success due to his abilities or the entire program/does he call most of the plays?

if someone can name someone we actually should've hired (that we had a reasonable chance at) I'll eat my shorts. And no, Jeff Monken doesn't count because we were never sticking with the 3O
To be honest I really don't remember or they said who they interviewed other than Whisenhunt who I would not have wanted. I did like Elliot but I don't think they interviewed him. I was ok with CGC and liked his pick for assistant coaches other than maybe the offensive coordinator , but with the money we had I'm not sure we could have hired a great one. I knew it would take time with CGC or anyone was hoping year 3 would be the year we stepped up and it could. But the fact I'm not sure last year is one I can count. I hope it is but it was one F**K up year not knowing if the game would be played

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I have only suggested we count those transfers that will be considered true freshmen or have 4 years of eligibility left. Those are essentially the same as the HS players we brought in, but aren't counted towards this year's ranking. 4 of those guys would have significantly changed our recruiting ranking. Not worried about transfers out or the upperclassmen transfers in (except Cochran, I think he will be a big help).

We need to count that transfer from Old Dom with 19 TFL.If he isn't starting next yr ,something is weird. big? help

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Those complaining about this site have never been on a Tech forum after a loss or during the off season. Having been on Buzz off, Sting Talk, And the Hive almost from the beginning, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Ive been on here for almost the entire duration of this site. This place has gone from insider recruiting info with great convo & actual data backing up statements to just extremist hot takes. This site is about as bad as the GTFB Facebook page. Just pointless bickering.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
First if you are inferring that I am a Dog fan....well, you have no idea who I am.

Second, The CPJ years were our best in 50years and teams were afraid to play us. We never entered a game hoping we would not lose by 50 points...like this year.
Third, it seems that our current staff recruits at the same level as CPJ...46th ranked...but has shown no ability so far to coach at that level.
fourth...Tech recruit the same as UGA.....lol....not unless we add a hundred majors and eliminate calculus.
Why not mention last years recruiting class. Since we are cherry picking why not mention Paul had almost the exact same winning percentage as Gailey but you say it was the best Tech coach in 50 years lol

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The site certainly changed when Paul retired. Lot of new people joined just when Collins was hired to trash him and they have stuck around. I’ve been here since 2014 and used to check 5-10 times a day. Now I have a hard time reading one post without getting annoyed. Very little info about GT getting posted. Everything is always compared and debated. Same people making the same types of post in every forum, and they all like each other’s post and back each other up. It’s like You have to be one side our the other now, not just a Tech fan.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ive been on here for almost the entire duration of this site. This place has gone from insider recruiting info with great convo & actual data backing up statements to just extremist hot takes. This site is about as bad as the GTFB Facebook page. Just pointless bickering.
You are getting old :) Let me know when you start going out to lunch at 11:00am and Dinner at 4:00 pm and I'll send your membership card to "" We be old please speak up" Also a few more years you will wake up eat breakfast and take a nap before lunch .

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
We are bad, let's face it. We have tons of potential but at the moment, we are bad. Really that simple. Time will tell if we pan out.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow

Hot Take: As the Hive started dying, those nincompoops came over here. The uniform colors can't be anything but Gold and White, no offenses but the option because we can't compete without being different, no piped in music, traffic is bad, east stands are too hot, don't cheapen my degree, how can I get in the stadium for free, I donate $100 a year why can't we hire Saban, etc crowd.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
We could have transitioned to a coach that runs the offense that Georgia Southern and Coastal Carolina run. We had the personnel to run it. We will never recruit to be able to compete while running the current scheme. 46 ranked recruiting class....not that different from the past...
So you can look at the players in this class, the small number which severely impacts the ranking and the transfers and what you see is “not that different from the past”?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I never worry about message count. There are those who have been on the site for many, many years with low post counts. Just because they lurk more than they post, doesn't diminish what they have to say. To be honest, I don't know what my post count is, but I've been around about as long as the site has (early 2013). There are many that have been here years shorter with 3X or 4X my posts.

However, when you've been here a long time and you've seen the same negative arguments posted year after year, it does begin to drag. My advice, don't take it personally. That's my job! ;)
Speaking of early swarm, does anyone know how Eric is doing?