THWG: Ugag Game Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Surprisingly good crowd, came across that way on TV anyway. Not a lot of red visible, definitely way better than my expectations. Can anybody that was at the game confirm?

Maybe Key’s halftime speech and home win against UGA will get folks fired up about our 2 revenue programs again. Maybe get some donations for the Competitive Drive fund. This basketball team is still not very good though. Georgia is by far our best win so far, and they’re ranked #176 in NET, and we tried our best to give the game away at home. Our next best win is North Alabama at #273. We’re extremely far away from where we want and need to be.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I was flipping around nervously with sound down, afraid I’d bring bad luck. Finally locked in, turned up sound, we hit a 3, kept the lead for a close win.
Gotta watch the replay now, easier knowing the outcome.
Ok so we’re struggling, but a game like this is something you can build upon.
To hell, to hell, to hell with Georgia, the cesspool of the south, btw.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Surprisingly good crowd, came across that way on TV anyway. Not a lot of red visible, definitely way better than my expectations. Can anybody that was at the game confirm?

Maybe Key’s halftime speech and home win against UGA will get folks fired up about our 2 revenue programs again. Maybe get some donations for the Competitive Drive fund. This basketball team is still not very good though. Georgia is by far our best win so far, and they’re ranked #176 in NET, and we tried our best to give the game away at home. Our next best win is North Alabama at #273. We’re extremely far away from where we want and need to be.
They also shot the lights out from 3. I don't think it was the greatest defensive effort but we did well on the boards and we didn't turn the ball over. Definitely things to build on with this win.

I was sitting bench side and it was a pretty pro-GT crowd but I'd assume Section 100 was pretty heavily red. Because of all the trading baskets back and forth, it was tough to really sustain a big, fast run. Home games can get out of hand if we can get those quick 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 runs in the 2nd half that get the crowd on its feet after a make and turn into 8-0 and 9-0 runs into an opponent timeout. The students were great tonight and it got really loud in the last 2 when we got that defensive stop down 1 and took the lead. Lots of THWg chants outside McCamish while leaving.

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow

Lower level was basically full - students filled all their seats. Upper level along sidelines were almost full - upper level end zones were sparse (people there, but probably 500-800 empty seats mostly upper level end zone. As for mix - about 1/4 UGA red and rest GT - and it was as loud as I have heard it in a long time down the stretch. Great atmosphere.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I was there in section 110 across court from uga bench and behind our sideline student section. Crowd was much better than I expected with respect to total number in attendance and GT/uga split. Definitely majority GT. I would estimate dwags at less than 25%, maybe by quite a bit, but I could be wrong, I was mostly focused on the game. I think crowd noise in the last minute really affected uga in a negative way (good for us).

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
First basketball game I’ve been to since 2020. Fun time. I’ve come to accept that Pastner’s offense will always cause me to pull my hair out. What’s the good word?!

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
YES! We pulled it out! Great win for the team and the fanbase. We own this state in basketball (barely, but, whatever--it counts!).

What I liked:
-An actual home court advantage.
-MILES KELLY! He is instant offense and we need every bit of it. That "touchdown" to start the second half was beautiful. Kelly seems to be learning that he can take over a game, and he took over this one when we needed it--first five minutes of the second half and last minute of the game.
-Our offense actually looked pretty good, but we could use more work against the zone. If we keep shooting poorly from 3, more teams will use a zone against us. I liked Franklin, Moore, and even Howard all being aggressive and taking the ball to the rim. We had 14 assists to 7 turnovers--I'll take that every game.
-Pastner's rotations. It seemed like he had a good feel for who to keep in the game and I liked the distribution of minutes.
-Free throw defense continues to be good. :)
-The last play of the game. It looked very similar to the last play against GSt. It was very effective then and again here.
-The defense in the last three or four minutes. I think they scored 2 points in the last four+ minutes of game time.

What I didn't like:
-Generally, the defense. Their guards got to the rim way too easily. I will see ball screens with the guard shooting wide open down the lane in my nightmares it happened so often. We did finally make some changes, but earlier changes should have happened. UGA shot 53% from the field, mostly because all of their shots were at the rim.
-UGA looking like a well-coached team. I was hoping they would stay in basketball purgatory, but it seems they found a good coach who brought in some decent talent for his first year.

We still don't look like a great team, but we looked like a team that can be dangerous. If we can start hitting more threes, we can hang with most any team. Go Jackets! Let's go beat UNC!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
1). Why did we stay in man? Our guards couldn’t stop anyone ?

2). Why did ugag ever quit playing zone? We showed little ability to move the ball for a good shot.

3) how did we get that last offensive foul call? I think we caught a break on that one. We never get that call.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
1). Why did we stay in man? Our guards couldn’t stop anyone ?

2). Why did ugag ever quit playing zone? We showed little ability to move the ball for a good shot.

3) how did we get that last offensive foul call? I think we caught a break on that one. We never get that call.
Look at the video on the GT BB facebook page. It was clearly offensive charging.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
-MILES KELLY! He is instant offense and we need every bit of it. That "touchdown" to start the second half was beautiful. Kelly seems to be learning that he can take over a game, and he took over this one when we needed it--first five minutes of the second half and last minute of the game.

School em, SAB. I told yall this kid was gonna be special. I wouldn't care if he took all our shots.

The Moore kid is growing on me too.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I know as fact when it comes to cbb officiating is there's no such thing as "clear" offensive charging.

That's what makes the call we got so strange. They usually just ignore it or botch it.
Yes you are right about that. Did I hear someone say on the postgame that GA has been called for offensive charging fairly often?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

When we were recruiting him, I said he was one of those players that likes to "try sh!t"...that is, he's creative in the way he gets to the bucket or opens up space to get a shot off. I think he's starting to get more confidence that he can be successful "trying sh!t". That's good, because at this level you have to find a way to be successful. GT needs that...and we need others that can do that as well.

This is still a young team. A good majority of this team were role players last year, and now they're stepping into a role of being a starter or playing more minutes. As I said earlier in the season, this team will be much better later in the season than they are now. Some of the games so far have been ugly, but that's to be expected due to our youth and roster composition. Hopefully we can iron out the wrinkles as we approach league play.