Three to return for degree...three get some scholarship money

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great use of scholarship money - unless there are more walk-ons who could use the scholarships. But this has to help recruiting too by showing that we continue to take care of those who commit to us.

Win for both sides and congrats to those coming back for their degree.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Great use of scholarship money - unless there are more walk-ons who could use the scholarships. But this has to help recruiting too by showing that we continue to take care of those who commit to us.

Win for both sides and congrats to those coming back for their degree.

The returnees are not being given scholarship money so far as I know. I would think they are using some of that NFL money they have earned to pay their way at this point. The article just is confusing by only separating the topics by an ellipsis.

I do however think that our NFL players coming back to complete their degrees should be played up to help recruiting. There is no reason to treat one's education as something that is forgotten by achieving the dream of playing in the NFL. When even NFL players recognize the value of the Tech degree and keep coming back to finish up then recruits should see that you can have your cake and eat it too at Tech; get a great degree and education and make it as a pro in football.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC, Tech does help athletes with tuition when they come back from a pro career. I think it's part of the deal, and some of them didn't make all that much money anyway.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not sure it is ok under NCAA rules to give money to those returning after so long out of school? Anyone know?

Very happy for the walk ons getting ships, but I think a better use of our money is to give out all our ships during the recruiting period. Don't know why we leave so many on the table. GOT to do better job of recruiting and signing winners.

There will always be ships available for walk ons due to players transferring or quitting.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure it is ok under NCAA rules to give money to those returning after so long out of school? Anyone know?

Very happy for the walk ons getting ships, but I think a better use of our money is to give out all our ships during the recruiting period. Don't know why we leave so many on the table. GOT to do better job of recruiting and signing winners.

There will always be ships available for walk ons due to players transferring or quitting.
The reason we have so many spots is because of "transferring and quitting" and dismissals. We had 85 scholar-athletes on signing day.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The reason we have so many spots is because of "transferring and quitting" and dismissals. We had 85 scholar-athletes on signing day.

I can not remember the last signing day we signed players for the available ships we had - going back to ccg. Makes no sense because there will always be some ships for walkons due to evident reasons.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I can not remember the last signing day we signed players for the available ships we had - going back to ccg. Makes no sense because there will always be some ships for walkons due to evident reasons.

I'm pretty sure @Eric has reported that we were at 85 after national signing day 2014. But, yeah, i have difficulty remembering back 6 mos sometimes too.