Thread to actually discuss football

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s a play—no real defensive X’s and O’s, though:

Domineck is on the top of the screen just outside the tackle. KSU’s tackle goes to block upfield. The A-back goes to block someone else. Domineck is untouched and on the QB quickly. If this was the way the blocks were drawn up, then I have to shake my head. He goes to make the tackle but puts his hand out to block the pitch, and gets a handful of it. It’s a sweet run with two massive stiff arms—he sends one KSU player into a somersault, and stiff arms his teammate into a block before scoring.
The call on the second stiff arm is funny—“he needs a block” (Domineck throws his teammate into the KSU player; I’m not sure his teammate was going to make that block otherwise) “he gets it” “he scores”

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Here’s a play—no real defensive X’s and O’s, though:

Domineck is on the top of the screen just outside the tackle. KSU’s tackle goes to block upfield. The A-back goes to block someone else. Domineck is untouched and on the QB quickly. If this was the way the blocks were drawn up, then I have to shake my head. He goes to make the tackle but puts his hand out to block the pitch, and gets a handful of it. It’s a sweet run with two massive stiff arms—he sends one KSU player into a somersault, and stiff arms his teammate into a block before scoring.
The call on the second stiff arm is funny—“he needs a block” (Domineck throws his teammate into the KSU player; I’m not sure his teammate was going to make that block otherwise) “he gets it” “he scores”

Domenick is unblocked on purpose because he is the pitch option read. Domenick was way faster than the QB was expecting (maybe the QB was supposed to be a little deeper), and pitched with Domenick right on him.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Domenick is unblocked on purpose because he is the pitch option read. Domenick was way faster than the QB was expecting (maybe the QB was supposed to be a little deeper), and pitched with Domenick right on him.
Collins mentioned that Domineck actually stayed after practice with the scout team quarterbacks practicing rushing the QB and batting down the pitch. So not only was it an athletic play but it was a direct result of the extra work and prep he put in leading up to the game. I noticed that he got close a few other times in the game with the same move.

slugboy

Staff member
Here are a couple of recaps of the last few series of the NIU game. I've hidden them with the "spoiler" tag for those that don't want to see any of that game ever again.

In the last two series--on offense and defense--we didn't go for the throat. We might have lost the game anyway, but I think we'd have had a better chance if we were more aggressive on offense and defense at the end of the game. Hopefully, lesson learned.

The camera angles are what they are, so there are limits to what I can call out. Maybe I can find one position. (ACCN, please give better camera angles for people who love the game.)

Here's Walker on the 3-and-out towards the end of the NIU game. With the ball strip in the previous series, this should have been when we ran out the clock on offense. He goes unblocked on the reverse, goes upfield instead of coming down the line, and makes a solid 1:1 tackle

We bowed up on 3rd and 17 and stopped them for a short gain. Here's the following punt. One gunner is untouched, the other gets free. No real shot at a return. Story of our special teams in game 1:

Here's our screen on 3rd and 8. Calling a screen doesn't seem like a bad call to me--let three rushers slip through, pass to the motion receiver, but we only have two blockers outside, and we go outside of our blocking. It causes two issues: 1.we don't make much yardage and 2. we stop the clock when we go out of bounds. I'm not sure about the design of the play--we didn't catch them unaware with misdirection, and we didn't get much blocking outside.
Missing on the first down hurt a lot more than going out of bounds.

We're in a zone defense here, and the receiver finds a pocket in front of Walton. I'm not sure if NIU's receivers have a read, but he moves into a gap in the zone, and the coverage is soft--we're in a loose prevent here, at least in style. The pass rush and coverage in the last series

3rd and 5 converted to 1st and goal. Not much of a rush, and we have a bend but don't break coverage. Throughout the series, the NIU receivers are getting yards after contact:

This is the "winning" touchdown. I'm pretty sure this is Tariq Carpenter in coverage. NIU has a I-formation. The safeties are close to the line looking for a run. It's play-action. The fullback goes into the flat, with Carpenter trailing by about 3-4 yards. Easy pitch-and-catch for the score.

Being flat on our last offensive series was one nail in the coffin. Not being disruptive in the final defensive stand was the other. In the worst case, we give up a TD faster and have enough time to retake the lead.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Here are a couple of recaps of the last few series of the NIU game. I've hidden them with the "spoiler" tag for those that don't want to see any of that game ever again.

In the last two series--on offense and defense--we didn't go for the throat. We might have lost the game anyway, but I think we'd have had a better chance if we were more aggressive on offense and defense at the end of the game. Hopefully, lesson learned.

The camera angles are what they are, so there are limits to what I can call out. Maybe I can find one position. (ACCN, please give better camera angles for people who love the game.)

Here's Walker on the 3-and-out towards the end of the NIU game. With the ball strip in the previous series, this should have been when we ran out the clock on offense. He goes unblocked on the reverse, goes upfield instead of coming down the line, and makes a solid 1:1 tackle

We bowed up on 3rd and 17 and stopped them for a short gain. Here's the following punt. One gunner is untouched, the other gets free. No real shot at a return. Story of our special teams in game 1:

Here's our screen on 3rd and 8. Calling a screen doesn't seem like a bad call to me--let three rushers slip through, pass to the motion receiver, but we only have two blockers outside, and we go outside of our blocking. It causes two issues: 1.we don't make much yardage and 2. we stop the clock when we go out of bounds. I'm not sure about the design of the play--we didn't catch them unaware with misdirection, and we didn't get much blocking outside.

We're in a zone defense here, and the receiver finds a pocket in front of Walton. I'm not sure if NIU's receivers have a read, but he moves into a gap in the zone, and the coverage is soft--we're in a loose prevent here, at least in style. The pass rush and coverage in the last series

3rd and 5 converted to 1st and goal. Not much of a rush, and we have a bend but don't break coverage. Throughout the series, the NIU receivers are getting yards after contact:

This is the "winning" touchdown. I'm pretty sure this is Tariq Carpenter in coverage. NIU has a I-formation. The safeties are close to the line looking for a run. It's play-action. The fullback goes into the flat, with Carpenter trailing by about 3-4 yards. Easy pitch-and-catch for the score.

Being flat on our last offensive series was one nail in the coffin. Not being disruptive in the final defensive stand was the other. In the worst case, we give up a TD faster and have enough time to retake the lead.

On NIU's long pass completion in their last series, it appears that #1 attempts to tackle by grabbing the shoulders, which is ineffective and contributes to the YAC. I've seen him do this on other tackle attempts as well. Hopefully, the coaches are noticing this and providing some tacking tips.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

Basically, if our screen to Carter had ended in bounds with the clock running, NIU could possibly have run out of time since they scored the winning TD with :38 to go.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Basically, if our screen to Carter had ended in bounds with the clock running, NIU could possibly have run out of time since they scored the winning TD with :38 to go.
No, since there was more than 2 minutes remaining, the clock stops temporarily until the ball is spotted and the play clock starts with 25 seconds to snap.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

The QB definitley didn't have depth. You also have to realize that when the defender is on your outside shoulder you don't pitch you just eat it.

slugboy

Staff member
In a game where you lose by one point, there are probably 30 or more plays that could have won the game, depending on how you look at it. If Carter had stayed behind his blockers, he might have both burned more time and picked up more yardage. If either of the two previous plays had gotten more yardage or the O line gotten more push, we might have gotten the first down. Hit either field goal, block the gunners on any of our punt returns, the list goes on and on...