Thoughts on the Portal

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Absolutely. I tell “old man” tales to my son about a time when even NBA players had some allegiance / longevity on a team. I remember knowing and rooting for the same group of guys for years... Bird, DJ, McHale, Ainge and Parrish were going to be going at Magic, Kareem, Scott Worthy... and they’d all be in the same uniforms they wore for the last several seasons. I have a hard time having an allegiance to any team when the players on that team have no allegiance to it. It soured me on pro sports and it leached into college basketball and now football with the portal. Pretty soon it’ll all be unwatchable if it continues unchecked...

Which in turn may drive me back to the NFL. If people are going to be coming and going willy-nilly, then why not just watch the very best football players? In addition, the NFL actively manages for parity. Name any other pro sport (maybe hockey????) in which teams in places like Green Bay, Buffalo or Kansas City can compete or be better than the teams in LA or NY or the like? I don't think this happens in MLB or the NBA. And now NCAA football.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Which in turn may drive me back to the NFL. If people are going to be coming and going willy-nilly, then why not just watch the very best football players? In addition, the NFL actively manages for parity. Name any other pro sport (maybe hockey????) in which teams in places like Green Bay, Buffalo or Kansas City can compete or be better than the teams in LA or NY or the like? I don't think this happens in MLB or the NBA. And now NCAA football.
Fair point. Done in the name of parity, it makes for a better product. I still don’t see me going toward NFL though. I hope we can salvage something decent from college football...
I foresee terrible trouble, but I stay here just the same... :ROFLMAO:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You guys have to give up on CFB and come over to college baseball. Still much more amateur as the very best can go to MLB out of HS. Partly since there is not a lot of money in it, college baseball can stay more amateur.

Get to watch guys develop over 2, 3 4 or 5 years. We've got 2 year players like Parada and Grissom who will turn 21 by the end of their Sophomore draft year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will be interested in how or what shakes out. I play golf regularly with a group of guys who graduated from SEC schools (not Bama or Uga). One of them is a ND grad. Interestingly enough, the conversations with them echo most of what we say here in that the college FB has jumped the shark in terms of money and the inability of most schools to play for NC's. My takeway from convrsations in the 19th hole lounge is that what we discuss here is NOT frustration with a 5 or 6 crappy years in a row. Similar things are being said by the schools who are winning 6-7-8 games or more and going to bowl games. Even the ND guy says he and most of his buddies are ready to stop the arms race at their school which, as we all know, has a long and proud tradition in the sport.

Take this FWIW. My sampling methods are not scientific and findings might be impaired by the consumption of alcohol while doing this indepth field research. I am going deep undercover in an SEC dominated area to bring you this data. Fortunately my bar tab, gambling expenses and club dues are covered by my Swarm expense account.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You guys have to give up on CFB and come over to college baseball. Still much more amateur as the very best can go to MLB out of HS. Partly since there is not a lot of money in it, college baseball can stay more amateur.

Get to watch guys develop over 2, 3 4 or 5 years. We've got 2 year players like Parada and Grissom who will turn 21 by the end of their Sophomore draft year.

This is a very generous offer Nuke but are you sure you want some of these guys posting in the basebll forum going forward? Think it over, I can delete this if you wish. ;)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The one-and-dones have been a disaster for college basketball, IMO. Remember watching a slow, sleepy-eyed kid from Oklahoma and a tall, skinny kid from the Bronx develop over four years into a top contender for the National Championship. If not for an uncharacteristically bad shooting night from Price, we could have cut down the nets that year.

My point is that it was deeply satisfying spending four years watching players like Price, Salley and Johnny Dawkins at Duke develop. How many Duke fans are thinking back fondly about Zion even one year later? I wouldn't want to coach that kind of player; I'd want to get old and stay old bringing kids up through my system.
I knew the names of so many hoops players in the ACC back then because they would stay at least 3 years. Not so much anymore.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Tampa Rays in baseball- and the Braves took down LA- Milwaukee and Phoenix in NBA finals were fun as well

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Related:
Secrets of the college football transfer portal: ‘There’s definitely tampering going on’
Always gonna have under the table deals at the highest level.

I too am intrigued by a pyramid-like setup.

I watched the recent interview with Coach Chip Long. One thing he said that jumped out at me regarding players on the roster...."if you aren't recruiting them, someone else is". It slid by in the interview discussion here but I interpreted his comment to mean that tampering happens and is out in the open and coache accept that it is he way business is done in today's world.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Forensics is totally correct about one thing and that is the genie is out of the bottle and its not going back in.
So you have to start thinking about how you make it work for college programs - not just the ones at the top.

The NCAA isn't really going to do anything, they have already given up all their power over college football, which is now run by the P5 and ND. I think the NCAA (and frankly alot of universities) are hoping that Congress steps in to regulate college football, because NCAA simply is not going to do it.

Ultimately I like the idea of tiers as well. NIL and transfer portal combined will benefit the top programs the most - just like most of the other rules of college football. That is unlikely to change. Also, NCAA is meeting over a new constitution that is expected to give more power to the top conferences and programs and might create a whole new Div 1 division. You got coaches saying if a program wants to have 80 analysts they should be allowed to do that, but that obviously creates a very uneven playing field. I feel like tiers is something that could work long term. It allows more schools the opportunity to truly compete for championships (right now there are probably not more than a dozen schools really competing for a football championship). So let's establish different levels that allow more schools the opportunity to compete with like minded and like resourced schools.

In some ways college football is not as healthy as it would appear based on the TV contracts.
In person attendance has been dropping consistently in all conferences (including the SEC) since 2009. Student attendance has been dropping consistently during that time as well despite alot of efforts by schools to increase their turnout (offering freebies, or using the stick approach if you leave the game early, some schools). Some schools have been reducing the number of student tickets seats in stadiums. Obviously if fewer kids attend games during college that is likely to lead to fewer ticket sales in the future, leading to the TV contracts being even more important and the cycle continues.

we have to go back to 2019 for the last full attendance season. That year the SEC had its lowest attendance since 2000; the Big Ten’s was its lowest since 1993; the ACC’s was its lowest since 1999; and the PAC 12 had it’s lowest attendance since 1978.

More food for thought: Many college football attendance numbers reflect tickets distributed, not actual scanned-in attendance. The tickets may be sold, but not all those people are in the stadium buying concessions or in town spending money.

A Wall Street Journal survey in 2018 found that only 71% of the people who bought tickets actually went to the games. The internal “scanned-in” attendance numbers at some major programs would stun people and correlate almost exactly to that Wall Street Journal number.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The hysteria is strong in this group. Y’all need to calm down. I wish this vigor and concern was around when journalists were picking national champs and bowl committees were giving us such great New Years matchups as 1 vs. 7 and 2 vs. 5. You know, the years some of you want to go back to.

I know I‘ve posted this before but you guys keep saying the same thing over and over again. This is not new, it’s just out in the open now. Take the photo of Ivey in a fancy car with Kiffen. I’ve been seeing photos of so called amateur players in fancy cars since the internet was invented. None of this is new. Pretty women, fancy cars, cash, and dreams of the NFL have been the allure of factories forever. It’s not new. The only thing that is new is that now those of us who have been talking about it for 30 years cant be easily dismissed any more. And the fraudulent NCAA is finally dead. I just find it funny that so many of you are flustered to find out that gambling is taking place in Casablanca and that now the sky is falling. UGA has been buying players since Herschel. And Dabo has one of the best pay systems of all time that now is of no use to him.

College football will not and is not dying. GT football may be dying, but just because our school is in miserable shape doesn’t mean the sport is dying. Sure, attendance is down across the board but that’s easy to see why. Every game on TV and televisions are awesome to watch games these days.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Under the present setup do schools in the big metro areas have an advantage going forward? I heard many people say that the OU coach was leaving for USCw because he did not want to play in the SEC, I say he left because OU is now disadvantaged because of location and USCw is advantaged because of being in LA. I also do think he can dominate in the PAC 12 as it is now and get them in the playoff picture again.
Can GT become an advantaged school under the new system?

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Under the present setup do schools in the big metro areas have an advantage going forward? I heard many people say that the OU coach was leaving for USCw because he did not want to play in the SEC, I say he left because OU is now disadvantaged because of location and USCw is advantaged because of being in LA. I also do think he can dominate in the PAC 12 as it is now and get them in the playoff picture again.
Can GT become an advantaged school under the new system?
Could be if one of us becomes a billionaire LOL

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I knew the names of so many hoops players in the ACC back then because they would stay at least 3 years. Not so much anymore.
Not sure I even know who is in the ACC any much more much less who plays for these Big East teams pretending to be ACC teams.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
College football, as we've known it our entire lives, is the walking dead. It's just a matter of when not if. To some, that's good. To most, probably not so good. But, it will evolve into whatever beast it becomes.
I'm coming to feel about big time college football then same way I feel about boxing.

There's almost no sporting event I like better then a title boxing match. It has an excitement that isn't matched by any other sport, imho. However, if I had it in my power, I'd get rid of prize fighting altogether. It is high time for civilized people to give up blood sports. By the same token, I truly love watching big time college football. It is also exciting to watch and I truly enjoy it. But …

It has gotten to a spot where it is impinging on the main role of post-secondary education. It consumes to many resources and returns too little. It is ridiculous to see college football coaches paid as much as they are and to see the game as professionalized as it is. Further, since the students are losing interest in the games more every year, it might be time to de-emphasize. I don't think college football should be abolished; that wouldn't work any better then outlawing boxing. Seeing colleges reverting to something along the lines of Div 3 football, however, would be a solution that everybody (I guess) could live with. The sport survives, the kids who want to play for the pros could go into development leagues the pros pay for, and we could still have a national championship and the rest of the hoopla.

But this won't happen until things get a good deal worse.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
Nick Saban quote , "Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people. " The portal will sort things out.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck

GT baseball is either at blue blood status or very close to it, too. A super regional would really help that out. They consistently recruit in the top 10, they’ll win most of their series during the year, and they’re an excellent ACC tournament team. Making the postseason is the norm as well