Thoughts on GA TECH v UGA at Mercedes Benz Every year?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is probably a silly question... with UGA already playing an opponent (FLA) permanently at a neutral site...

...but as I watched Saturday night, I did wonder if at MBS v UGA every year is better than the version we're doing now & in the foreseeable future.

Thoughts?

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
You mean every year, right? Not in lieu of our home games. I would say it depends on the finances. Last few home games have been mostly pro UGA crowds. If that is going to be the case anyways, why not get paid for it?

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
This is probably a silly question... with UGA already playing an opponent (FLA) permanently at a neutral site...

...but as I watched Saturday night, I did wonder if at MBS v UGA every year is better than the version we're doing now & in the foreseeable future.

Thoughts?

Given that there are usually more red shirts than gold shirts in the stands at BDS, that would be a hard NO.

Plus MBS would open up the 3rd (300) level, because these seats would easily be bought …by ugga fans.

Next year’s MBS game will be w Clem’s Son. They will buy a lot more seats than UNC did this year. Their fans show up….

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Given that there are usually more red shirts than gold shirts in the stands at BDS, that would be a hard NO.

Plus MBS would open up the 3rd (300) level, because these seats would easily be bought …by ugga fans.

Next year’s MBS game will be w Clem’s Son. They will buy a lot more seats than UNC did this year. Their fans show up….
yep , the clempson fans will show up for sure. I just don't know why Tech folks usually stay home.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
This is dumb because there is no way the dawgs would agree to it - they need the athens game against GT given they play florida in jacksonville every year. If that changed, then you could talk about it.
Years ago the Tech/uga basketball game was always played at the old Omni. Tech won most of the games and had way more fans. Dooley eventually stopped that and returned to a home and home game even though both schools took home way ,more money than home&home.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
yep , the clempson fans will show up for sure. I just don't know why Tech folks usually stay home.
My wife went to one COFH at BDS and she said that it will be her last. There was a lot to dislike about some of their fans but one particular thing comes to mind. This 60ish year old female UGA fan was in the aisle shooting a bird at a Tech fan. He returned the favor and then she yelled to her son that the Tech guy shot a bird at her. Tempers flared. I had my own problems with UGA fans that refused to get out of my season seats. Many more examples.

Definitely the worst fan base I’ve seen at BDS.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Years ago the Tech/uga basketball game was always played at the old Omni. Tech won most of the games and had way more fans. Dooley eventually stopped that and returned to a home and home game even though both schools took home way ,more money than home&home.
My understanding is that this is not about UGA itself making more money having the game in Athens than at the Benz. It’s about what it would do to the local Athens gameday economy. As was mentioned, they already lose the Florida game. Many of the local businesses count on the revenue from the home games and the school would not want to mess with that if there was no really, really compelling reason. I also don’t imagine that UGA would take away way more money playing the game at MB Arena, but I could be wrong about that

herb

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that this is not about UGA itself making more money having the game in Athens than at the Benz. It’s about what it would do to the local Athens gameday economy. As was mentioned, they already lose the Florida game. Many of the local businesses count on the revenue from the home games and the school would not want to mess with that if there was no really, really compelling reason. I also don’t imagine that UGA would take away way more money playing the game at MB Arena, but I could be wrong about that
I don't see how they could make more unless they drastically increased the ticket prices. Their stadium holds about 17-20 k more than the Benz and is free.