Thoughts on fan-less games

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Read that some race track (ATL?) allowed fans to attend outside of quarantine protocols -

Claimed the race was a protest.

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Just have the games and let people choose for themselves whether or not they want to attend....you know like every other season. There is no one with a gun pointed at your head to force you to got to a game.
We make life altering decisions everyday. Weaving in and out of traffic or speeding to get to our destination 5 minutes quicker. Eating a greasy cheeseburger for dinner and enjoying a cool adult beverage with it.
You would have to be living under a rock to not know whats going on in the world for the last several months. So if you understand the risks and you still want to come to the games, by all means I'll see you there. If you decide it's not worth the risk, then stay home and enjoy it in your living room from your recliner.
I'll see those that attend in 97days! And those that wish to stay home, hopefully I'll see yall in 2021!

I do not think they will just let it be business as usual with “go at your own risk” due to liability issues. I know movie theaters(Not a good time to have stock in theaters :hungover:) are mulling around with the idea of signed waivers for audiences. All it takes is one person to get it at a football game and start a legal ruckus claiming the stadium employees didn’t sanitize enough etc. Would any of those cases be won in court? Probably not, but liability is something schools and professional teams are going to have consider. Would they do a waiver? I don’t know. I bet in SEC country a liability waiver with business as usual would lead to packed stadiums though.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I do not think they will just let it be business as usual with “go at your own risk” due to liability issues. I know movie theaters(Not a good time to have stock in theaters :hungover:) are mulling around with the idea of signed waivers for audiences. All it takes is one person to get it at a football game and start a legal ruckus claiming the stadium employees didn’t sanitize enough etc. Would any of those cases be won in court? Probably not, but liability is something schools and professional teams are going to have consider. Would they do a waiver? I don’t know. I bet in SEC country a liability waiver with business as usual would lead to packed stadiums though.

Are there not already waivers on tickets now?

Of some sort.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Are there not already waivers on tickets now?

Of some sort.

there probably are to some extent.

I just had a thought that I hadn’t had yet. If fans aren’t allowed to go to games this season, is there a way to adjust our contract with MBS for the Notre Dame game? Seems like a waste of one of our games in the new stadium if no one can even go.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Even with waiver or no waiver.... & yes, venues have waivers on tickets & check boxes for online purchases & it would be easy to add specific covid language.

...regardless... I still hold that given the global pandemic, there is essentially no chance a venue would actually lose any suit levied against them. Every single spectator entering the venue is doing so voluntarily... and when the time comes, the venue will have measures in place that comply with any government restrictions regarding distancing et al. At that point, the venue has done its due diligence... the spectator enters at their own risk.

Sue if you want... but these venues are not going to be afraid or slowed to open because of a liability that will be mitigated.

slugboy

Staff member
I wonder how we can get more fan experience with fewer fans at the games. It’s important for the athletes to have fans in the stands (just look at Bundesliga fûtbol in Germany for an example), but it’s important for fans to see a game in person or at least get a feel of the community.

If some people just can’t go, what other ways can they feel like part of the event?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Even with waiver or no waiver.... & yes, venues have waivers on tickets & check boxes for online purchases & it would be easy to add specific covid language.

...regardless... I still hold that given the global pandemic, there is essentially no chance a venue would actually lose any suit levied against them. Every single spectator entering the venue is doing so voluntarily... and when the time comes, the venue will have measures in place that comply with any government restrictions regarding distancing et al. At that point, the venue has done its due diligence... the spectator enters at their own risk.

Sue if you want... but these venues are not going to be afraid or slowed to open because of a liability that will be mitigated.
If there is no legitimate threat of losing a suit due to negligence related to public safety during a pandemic then why do you think schools are already planning for seasons with significantly reduced crowd sizes?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If there is no legitimate threat of losing a suit due to negligence related to public safety during a pandemic then why do you think schools are already planning for seasons with significantly reduced crowd sizes?
Because I believe crowd sizes will be dictated by governments... and venues will comply.

Has there been a run on lawsuits of grocery stores, restaurants, hardware stores, etc... while they've allowed patrons through their doors?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Because I believe crowd sizes will be dictated by governments... and venues will comply.

Has there been a run on lawsuits of grocery stores, restaurants, hardware stores, etc... while they've allowed patrons through their doors?
Not many of those places are taking a letter rip approach, allowing full capacity without social distancing, and they obviously don’t have the capacity to hold 50k people.