Thoughts? Could Collins turn the program around faster than expected?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It would be nice in theory, to see a 180 in a year or two, but I just dont see it.

Reason: Because we have to completely flip the roster and get guys in who fit the model that CGC has in mind. We cant just plug and play Transfers on the lines and see a drastic improvement. Does it help? Well yeah, but we need to have one cohesive unit that can function as a well oiled machine.

In hindsight it would be sweet to compete for the Coastal next year and take georgie to the wire, but we have to think reasonably about the magnitude of the situation. In time though.
Well yeah lol I wasn’t expecting a natty by year 3 either. But we coul
No.

This has been another in a series of simple answers to simple questions.

Man this is also a forum and a thread created out of boredom. Sorry my input was too simple for you.

I like your excitement and certainly enjoyed several of the early PJ vs Dumbo games. As far as comparisons, there are none between Tech and Clemson. Several people have already mentioned their budget and facilities. With that said, I’m not really placing a over/under time frame on this staff. I see the progress made in recruiting and only hope that the improvement will translate to more wins.

I don't even no where to begin on this. I suppose I agree with the academic portion of your statement but find absolutely zero things about the Dodd era and modern day football that are similar. Dodd didn't have to find 85 good to great players for the first half of his career (single platoon system) nor did he or other programs in the south field African American rosters. I'm a third gen Tech guy with my grandfather (class of 22) and my dad (class of 44) ready to punch you in the mouth if you said anything negative about their Jackets. I would much rather look at Ross and GOL for similarities and goals going forward. Some on here have mentioned having coaches on staff that are truly difference makers, and I believe that both of those staffs had that. Today, those great guys are generally identified early and are paid a ransom. We are witnessing a run away train over the last 15 years with programs trying to duplicate Saban and his philosophy. I am very aware of every possible hurdle in the way but have witnessed a national championship and 3 in a row against teams with much greater resources. Notice I pulled a Collins and didn't mention the school 75 miles away by name! It's late or early and obviously I should be in bed and not going off on Swarm but will only add that am 100% in on Collins and refuse to place expectations on how early he can turn this thing. THWG
The academics issue was the only issue I addressed.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Anything is possible for a BIG jump.--but not likely.LOTS of things have to go right this yr.Think about it.Last yr NONE of the parts--Off,Def or STs were dependable much less good.So a lot to improve on.
This team will be better probably ( and look it at times) with the transfers and QB exp but the record probably won't be.

It was a very good recruiting class but no big DTs to anchor the line in future.Without a transfer or 2 there,2-3 yrs from now we may still be lacking at that position which keys the run def to allow the LBs to roam to help the DBs,etc
Its hard to be real good when you have such an obvious weakness. Just being realistic.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
OIP.5iYBtrpKEsWdHu0melSThAHaGm

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
CGC will need to find that young Fridge (or several of them), like Joe Brady was for LSU, if he is going to make our dreams of GT being on the big stage a reality.

Do I think he can recruit a little better than he did this year? Yes, I still think that some years, he might get into the top 20, which is really saying something. He is a GREAT salesman and marketeer, for sure.

Do I think his recruiting (alone) can overcome the difference we have to overcome to play against the best in the P5? NO WAY

I am hoping he will have a special ability to identify and hire special coaches to make the pre-game strategy and play-calling decisions that are ELITE. We will need it.
Definitely will need amazing coordinators. I’m content with the D coaches.

Patenaude will have this year to show some improvement. He didn’t have much to work with last year, but I’m still not convinced he’s such a good offensive mind. We’ll see. I like to think Collins knows he’ll need to replace him if need be

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal is hot garbage. We should at least have a chance to win it. UNC has the best QB so they’ll be the media pick. VT always has some big dude that runs over our LB’s and they just whipped us. But, every year in the Coastal is crazy and comes down to plays in the 4th and turnovers. I see GT having a shot, but the QB position has to take a HUGE step forward. And LB play has to seriously improve.
On VT: you mean the outfit we curb-stomped at Lane Stadium in 2018? And beat 3 out of the four last four years before that? We can do that. Again.

On the Coastal: I keep saying this. The Coastal isn't a bad division; it's a very evenly matched division. Unlike the Atlantic where first FSU and then Clemson have ruled the roost, the Coastal is made up of a variety of programs that are at about the same level of success. Some here look on that as an invitation for one of those programs to take the division over. Despite the advantages some have over Tech (VT, UNC, Miami), some that are about even (Pitt, UVA), and one that is arguably even more curbed then Tech is (Puke), only two schools had an inside track for the last 12 years: VT and Tech. And it has always been a dogfight. Personally, I find that a more interesting competition then the Great Dane v. Chihuahua "match-ups" for the division crown in the Atlantic.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, far more people than post on this site really dislike his personality or public persona. Most, like myself, are willing to give him a chance, but some are so closed minded as not to be able even to do that.
I like him.
"" I think the young people like him "".

The guy that sits right of me on 50 used to loudly dog cuss cpj.
Now he dislikes cgc. Last year at one game he was loud mouthing why cgc wasted a time out. Blah blah blah " we were moving the ball, got ti have play ready . "" Next play wide open TD pass in corner of end zone iirc.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
On VT: you mean the outfit we curb-stomped at Lane Stadium in 2018? And beat 3 out of the four last four years before that? We can do that. Again.

On the Coastal: I keep saying this. The Coastal isn't a bad division; it's a very evenly matched division. Unlike the Atlantic where first FSU and then Clemson have ruled the roost, the Coastal is made up of a variety of programs that are at about the same level of success. Some here look on that as an invitation for one of those programs to take the division over. Despite the advantages some have over Tech (VT, UNC, Miami), some that are about even (Pitt, UVA), and one that is arguably even more curbed then Tech is (Puke), only two schools had an inside track for the last 12 years: VT and Tech. And it has always been a dogfight. Personally, I find that a more interesting competition then the Great Dane v. Chihuahua "match-ups" for the division crown in the Atlantic.
It’s evenly matched because all the teams are trash.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I think North Carolina,Virginia Tech and Pitt will all be 8-4 in 2020 and it will be a 3 way fight for the ACC Coastal Division.
UNC looked sharp last year. That QB they have is damn good. We’ll see if Mack can do something with UNC. VT looked improved last year but they’ll be breaking in a new D coordinator. I’m not sure who all they return on D though.

Pitt, ehhhh. I wouldn’t lump them up there with the other two.

Georgia Tech should hopefully be in the mix soon. THWg

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well Dabo has never been spoken of as being a good coach in terms of the actual coaching part. A lot has changed since then - Clemson ponied up the dough and got some of the best assistant coaches and staff in the country. They have like 70 on staff compared to I think less than 30 for us. He now has at least 3 assistants making 7 figures now (both offensive assistants make over $1m and Venables makes over $2m).

Our total coaching pool including Collins is about $6m/year. Clemson's is almost $20m/year.
You are leaving in an alternate universe. Since the first couple, maybe three, growth years, Swinney has become accepted as an excellent game day and preparation coach. Talk assistants all you wish, but there is no longer anyone questioning his credentials. Well, maybe from one person. Part of his "culture" is to value staff, pay staff, keep staff. (Contrast with Alabama and Saban: tolerate staff, pay staff, lose staff.)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand all this negativity , to my knowledge we have not lost a football game in the last 2 months. Stop and think about that 2 months, I see only 1 loss in the next 6 months that being the Gold team. Things are looking up refrigerator stocked with beer wife won't cook . and we open the season with a team that is on their longest losing streak in years.

Deleted member 2897

You are leaving in an alternate universe. Since the first couple, maybe three, growth years, Swinney has become accepted as an excellent game day and preparation coach. Talk assistants all you wish, but there is no longer anyone questioning his credentials. Well, maybe from one person. Part of his "culture" is to value staff, pay staff, keep staff. (Contrast with Alabama and Saban: tolerate staff, pay staff, lose staff.)

The last part of what you said is what I said.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand all this negativity , to my knowledge we have not lost a football game in the last 2 months. Stop and think about that 2 months, I see only 1 loss in the next 6 months that being the Gold team. Things are looking up refrigerator stocked with beer wife won't cook . and we open the season with a team that is on their longest losing streak in years.
LOL... Love the optimism... :)

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish people would stop using then academics as an excuse. I get it. Tech has to take calculus and all that stuff other programs don’t. But our coaches don’t see it as an obstacle. We shouldn’t either. We’ll never grow as a program until we get over ourselves and believe we can be better
Excuse is not remotely the same as a challenge, which means the academics are a challenge.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Excuse is not remotely the same as a challenge, which means the academics are a challenge.
Okay. I can get behind that. It is a challenge, no doubt. Finding kids who are real athletes and also real students is a challenge. Our coaches see it as an advantage though. That’s why they’re coaching and I’m not lol