This is what I'm talking about!!

TXJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
You've got to be kidding me. As a recent engineering graduate (May '16) this flies in the face of everything Georgia Tech has meant to me. Like other posters have said, I want Tech to have great players and win a lot of games, but I want to do it with Tech-Men, not with skating through gimmie classes with no educational value whatsoever. We are not UNCheat or Ugag. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing about the great recruits we can attract, but I'm hoping to attract more Jaytlin Askew's (enrolling in robotic engineering/ME) than guys that ought to be somewhere like UNC or ThugU.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
You've got to be kidding me. As a recent engineering graduate (May '16) this flies in the face of everything Georgia Tech has meant to me. Like other posters have said, I want Tech to have great players and win a lot of games, but I want to do it with Tech-Men, not with skating through gimmie classes with no educational value whatsoever. We are not UNCheat or Ugag. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing about the great recruits we can attract, but I'm hoping to attract more Jaytlin Askew's (enrolling in robotic engineering/ME) than guys that ought to be somewhere like UNC or ThugU.
Dude, it's an elective, not a major. There have always been some gimme electives. Why not make a few appealing?

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So taking this class makes you a thug? Interesting.
I'm sure the class will be held to regular Institute standards. Just because it has to do with rap music doesn't mean its academically less challenging. It is taught by a Harvard educated doctorate degree holder.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
May be a recent grad but truly at heart

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

T.A.N. - troll a.. nerd.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I mean, my roommate took a required English credit which had a topic of internet trolling. Their class project was to stage a dancing flash mob at the student center. Professors can make their classes about whatever they want. My English credit was on Shakespearean era poetry. At least the trolling class was fun and addressed the dangers of anonymity on the internet.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I got out in '11. I got to take "Science Fiction" and "Gender Studies in Technology" my senior year to fill out electives. Demeaning literary arts is arrogant and contradictory to an institute's purpose of sculpting well rounded individuals.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
I had a gender studies literature class. You could've knocked me over with a feather when I found out something like that existed at the Institute.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
My english class was "I put on for my city: rap & hip-hop in atlanta." One of the best classes I took in college. Took it with a GT linebacker who was the most jacked dude i've seen in real life. Learned 1/2 way through the semester it was Nesbitt.

To all the haters, hip-hop and hacking culture share lots of common ground. Both cultures are essential to what makes Atlanta such a great city. if you don't believe me, learn for yourself:
The OUTKAST imagination:
Hacker Manifesto: https://www.usc.edu/~douglast/202/lecture23/manifesto.html

If none of these arguments work, consider this - next time your unemployed liberal arts friends tell you about their valuable liberal arts degrees, remind them that GT thinks so little about those subjects that we meet the min. requirements w/ classes about trap music & trolling.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Before you criticize a class or program, learn a little bit more about it.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When I was at Tech my third English course was about Movies. First day I walked in and the class was loaded with athletes. Seriously, out of 30 students in the class there were 27 athletes. Easiest class I ever had while at Tech. We literally watched movies every day in class and wrote two papers for the the entire quarter. I believe one was 2 pages and the other 3. I think a class about Trap Music fits in well with our tradition of saying the only reason most Tech students even take English classes is because the Board of Regents requires it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Omg.

Tech opening up its borders to the world has changed the school more than a damn elective.

Back before clough tech stood for a school intent on training and developing the south in engineering capacity with a heavy focus on Georgia students. Now. Forget it. Try to get in. We think we are mit and we are not.

The gt landscape has totally morphed in the last 20 years. Clough spent a ton of time butt sniffing the elite academics; hence one reason he landed his role after tech and he pushed the mission of the school to game the us news rankings.

It was never like this its first 80 years of existence. Gt wasnt hard to stay in. Hard to get in too. But now its like impossible to get in. And judging from recent retention easier to stay in.

The school has changed. What made it cool for me was you knew it was so hard to stay in, that if u finished almost regardless of gpa you were worthy.

I cant speak for today. Maybe its still the same. But retention is way higher (us news baby. Gimme retention. Gimme endowment. Gimme research)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Message #8 sent at 12:08 is not your best one.
Keep um coming as you are right at the core. I complain about the optics of the puppet department, but it is a part of the future.
Computer engineering is everywhere.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I took an English elective - science fiction literature - while I was at Tech in the early 1970s. The class met at Manuel's Tavern in downtown Atlanta, we drank a lot of beer and we talked about the books we read. It was a great class!

Pishaw. You, sir, have just devalued my degree and besmirched my entire educational experience. I must sign off. I am duty-bound to walk into the company president's office and resign my position, forthwith.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Omg.

Tech opening up its borders to the world has changed the school more than a damn elective.

Back before clough tech stood for a school intent on training and developing the south in engineering capacity with a heavy focus on Georgia students. Now. Forget it. Try to get in. We think we are mit and we are not.

The gt landscape has totally morphed in the last 20 years. Clough spent a ton of time butt sniffing the elite academics; hence one reason he landed his role after tech and he pushed the mission of the school to game the us news rankings.

It was never like this its first 80 years of existence. Gt wasnt hard to stay in. Hard to get in too. But now its like impossible to get in. And judging from recent retention easier to stay in.

The school has changed. What made it cool for me was you knew it was so hard to stay in, that if u finished almost regardless of gpa you were worthy.

I cant speak for today. Maybe its still the same. But retention is way higher (us news baby. Gimme retention. Gimme endowment. Gimme research)

What's wrong with opening up borders to the world? We want to attract the best minds from all over and they're definitely not all located in the Southern US. Some of my favorite experiences were spending time with my international friends. I learned a lot about the world when I was often one of the only US born students in a group. People from India, Korea, Chad, Saudi Arabia, etc. All really fun students who were open to learning American customs. I went mostly to parties hosted by my Indian friends because those were more fun than the ones I went to at frats. In the classroom, international students were always really bright and very hard working considering if they failed out, they couldn't just drive back home to Marietta and cry on mom's couch. They had to do well.

I also think it's great we're raising the standard for entry. It's the only way to be competitive for those best minds, otherwise they're going to MIT, CalTech, Duke, etc. I see a lot of current high school students who still hold GT as a backup because our prestige isn't on that level. Yet. As for retention, I think the improvement in technology and on campus resources have allowed for GT to become easier to stay in. Being able to share various documents and textbooks and open chat rooms for study groups and questions has done a lot for making GT easier to stay in. But I wouldn't say the content is any easier. It's just easier to communicate those ideas. The only way it could return to the reputation it had when you thought it was cool is if they decided to remove all of the infrastructure they put in place to help students.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
What's wrong with opening up borders to the world? We want to attract the best minds from all over and they're definitely not all located in the Southern US. Some of my favorite experiences were spending time with my international friends. I learned a lot about the world when I was often one of the only US born students in a group. People from India, Korea, Chad, Saudi Arabia, etc. All really fun students who were open to learning American customs. I went mostly to parties hosted by my Indian friends because those were more fun than the ones I went to at frats. In the classroom, international students were always really bright and very hard working considering if they failed out, they couldn't just drive back home to Marietta and cry on mom's couch. They had to do well.

I also think it's great we're raising the standard for entry. It's the only way to be competitive for those best minds, otherwise they're going to MIT, CalTech, Duke, etc. I see a lot of current high school students who still hold GT as a backup because our prestige isn't on that level. Yet. As for retention, I think the improvement in technology and on campus resources have allowed for GT to become easier to stay in. Being able to share various documents and textbooks and open chat rooms for study groups and questions has done a lot for making GT easier to stay in. But I wouldn't say the content is any easier. It's just easier to communicate those ideas. The only way it could return to the reputation it had when you thought it was cool is if they decided to remove all of the infrastructure they put in place to help students.

Sorry hoss. I would rather admit more in the usa with similar credentials that i know get rejected than students international. Now. This is a balance. My point is tech has gone overboard.

Fyi the founding mission/reason of tech was to bolster the southern usa in engineering knowledge. Absolutely times change. My point is we shifted the pendulum way too far

We can agree to disagree on this one I just want to see us shift back a tad.

As for retention; we used to fail students on purpose in the weedout classes. Thats changed alot. Has nothing to do with technology or communication.

Last edited: